Guest Cancellation - Ron Perlman

No you see i totally cannot see how this would benefit everybody. Plus what would happen to people who want to see non diamond guest? Why only the diamond passes should have the combo? This would cause a riot. Because if i want to meet Finn Jones and he will cancel and he is not a diamond guest then i have no reason to go. So i should have the refund as well.

The entry ticket is for you. You can do whatever you want even if you are going to walk around and watch people. It would have been unfair to other people if you buying only diamond guest are walking around taking pics with the props and taking autos from other guests. It is either this or that. This is why the entry ticket is a separate purchase.

• Like 1

But that person would like to see other people as well and what then? People would complain that they have to buy two entry tickets. Plus i didn't have diamond pass for Ron so what is in it for people without diamond pass?

Stenun, you seem to not understand how this thing works. If you are not happy about the way SM is dealing with their business try to start your own.

Nobody can be responsible for actor cancelling. I am sad as well but this is not the end of the world. I get that you wanted to meet only him but yoi'll get all the diamond pass refunded and losing 15 quid is not a massive loss. You can always come and hang around anyway. I went to my 1st con without meeting anyone and i had fun.

No. Sell them a normal entry ticket in the combo package.

Sell a "Diamond Pass + Standard Entry Ticket Combo". Then if the guest cancels, everything gets refunded.

And if they want to see other people in the Con, they can pay like everyone else does.

I see the logic here, but only if they've bought a pass etc for that guest only. Because you could have Ron pull out but they have five other photos etc. The problem is that gets very messy looking for a pass with one guest only, so imagine not that practical.

If they want access to everything then they should be happy to buy a normal ticket and have it regardless of diamond guests lol

Am I not explaining it properly or are you not understanding? I really don't know ...

Let's say there is a Standard Entry Ticket. Let's say there is a Diamond Pass For Guest X. Let's say there is a photoshoot for Guest Y and a photoshoot for Guest Z.

Person 1 currently buys a Standard Entry Ticket and the Diamond Pass For Guest X. They have no interest in Y or Z.

Person 2 wants to see everything so they buy a Standard Entry Ticket, a Diamond Pass For Guest X, a photoshoot for Guest Y and a photoshoot for Guest Z.

Now if X cancels, Person 2 is upset but still has Y and Z to look forward to. But Person 1 has nothing other than looking round the Con for 2 or 3 days.

So how about selling a "Standard Entry Ticket + Diamond Pass For Guest X" Combo?

Now Person 1 buys the Combo.

Person 2 buys everything seperately just as before.

X cancels. Person 1 gets the entire cost of the Combo back. Person 2 carries on as in the previous example.

What's the problem??

You could have any number of people purchasing an event ticket, and then deciding to pull out just because a guest cancels.

What's to stop hundreds of people doing that now? Showmasters would have to refund god knows how much money.

It's just not feasible.

Is that REALLY the only argument against it? Because it's very easy to solve ...

You sell a Diamond Pass Guest Ticket + Entry Ticket Combo. And if the guest cancels, everything gets refunded.

That way, if someone wants to do ONLY that guest, they get their money back if that guest cancels.

I'm not saying allow people to claim now, I'm saying make it easier for future.

Well if thats the case shouldnt that entry ticket limit them to one area, where the guest is located. Afterall why should they have access to everything else they arent interested in?

See.. This is where this line of thinking can lead to. It gets petty and ridiculous

No, charge them exactly the same amount so they can access the Con as normal.

I didn't say sell them a restricted ticket, I said sell them an entry ticket. A normal one. But make it part of a combo with the Guest Diamond Pass.

That way they get access to the event and the Diamond Pass but nothing else - and if the Diamond Pass has to be cancelled, the whole thing gets refunded.

Simple.

Actually Stenun you are overlooking 1 massive thing. We the customers requested that the diamond passes specifically DIDN'T have entry included in the price and Showmasters responded to our request. Why? Buying 2 diamond passes meant you were paying for entry to the event twice, 3 times, 3 entries paid for.

The current system works fine.

All the conditions of ticket sales are clearly laid out. You and everyone else agreed to them when you bought your tickets so you can't turn around and complain after. If you didn't like the terms, then in the eventuality of your chosen guest cancelling, you shouldn't have bought them.

• Like 1

You could have any number of people purchasing an event ticket, and then deciding to pull out just because a guest cancels.

What's to stop hundreds of people doing that now? Showmasters would have to refund god knows how much money.

It's just not feasible.

Is that REALLY the only argument against it? Because it's very easy to solve ...

You sell a Diamond Pass Guest Ticket + Entry Ticket Combo. And if the guest cancels, everything gets refunded.

That way, if someone wants to do ONLY that guest, they get their money back if that guest cancels.

I'm not saying allow people to claim now, I'm saying make it easier for future.

Well if thats the case shouldnt that entry ticket limit them to one area, where the guest is located. Afterall why should they have access to everything else they arent interested in?

See.. This is where this line of thinking can lead to. It gets petty and ridiculous

No, charge them exactly the same amount so they can access the Con as normal.

I didn't say sell them a restricted ticket, I said sell them an entry ticket. A normal one. But make it part of a combo with the Guest Diamond Pass.

That way they get access to the event and the Diamond Pass but nothing else - and if the Diamond Pass has to be cancelled, the whole thing gets refunded.

Simple.

Actually Stenun you are overlooking 1 massive thing. We the customers requested that the diamond passes specifically DIDN'T have entry included in the price and Showmasters responded to our request. Why? Buying 2 diamond passes meant you were paying for entry to the event twice, 3 times, 3 entries paid for.

All the conditions of ticket sales are clearly laid out. You and everyone else agreed to them when you bought your tickets so you can't turn around and complain after. If you didn't like the terms, then in the eventuality of your chosen guest cancelling, you shouldn't have bought them.

Diamond Passes will still be able to be bought seperately.

You sell Diamond Passes For Guest X.

You sell Entry tickets.

You sell Diamond Passes For Guest X + Entry Tickets Combo.

Thus, if the guest cancels, the anyone who bought option three gets a full refund. Anyone who bought option 1 only gets their Diamond PAss refunded and not their entry ticket as they are still coming along.

The problem is with the fact that you will have all of that refunded and why standard entry owner won't

Standard Entry owner wants to do other things and thus does not get a refund.

This Combo is marketed at people who ONLY want to meet ONE guest.

Oh and just so we're clear, I am not arguing from a position of wanting a refund. I am coming all three days and looking forward to it.

I am arguing from the position that my idea might help other people.

Its an idea to help a small miority of people, who from my point of view arent coming to comic con, but to see one guest only.

At least by being made to buy a ticket seperately that they cant get refunded, maybe it will encourage them to broaden their horizon so to speak

Its an idea to help a small miority of people, who from my point of view arent coming to comic con, but to see one guest only.

At least by being made to buy a ticket seperately that they cant get refunded, maybe it will encourage them to broaden their horizon so to speak

I don't necessarily agree with the last point. If they're only interests in one guest that's their choice and I doubt said guest cancelling will make them come and experience the whole event. However with the present system we know what the risks are when booking.

As long as the terms and conditions of the entry ticket purchase are clear, I see nothing wrong with the current system. People have the choice to purchase or not.

"We're going to sell you two things. One thing you want, one thing you don't want. But in order to get the thing you want, you MUST buy the thing you don't want. Right, done that? The thing you want is being withdrawn from sale so here's your money back. But the thing you don't want? We're not giving you back the money for that. Don't want the thing? Tough, we're keeping the £50."

You see nothing wrong with that? Really?

lol. accept it because it is logical.... you buy a ticket for the whole experience, not just part of it. as said, no different to a play or sports match.

its the counter argument thats wrong... the idea that just because it doesnt benefit people who are going for specific reasons rather than the whole thing, then automatically the system must be wrong

As I said, I'm not going to get involved this time.

All I'll say is that I strongly disagree with you.

I have to agree with Smithy on this. As gutted as I am that Ron has cancelled, there was always a risk that a working actor would have to change his schedule and yes it sucks that people aren't going to attend now and lose out on the entry fee, but its fully explained in the T and C's that you are buying tickets TO THE EVENT not a specific guest.

This year I have had 7 guests on my list cancel Im still going to see 11+ guests, last year my sister came met Christopher Lloyd and stayed to enjoy the atmosphere a lot more than she thought she would.

People are going as far as to abuse Ron on social media, like they think he shouldn't be working???

• Like 1

• Moderators

As long as the terms and conditions of the entry ticket purchase are clear, I see nothing wrong with the current system. People have the choice to purchase or not.

"We're going to sell you two things. One thing you want, one thing you don't want. But in order to get the thing you want, you MUST buy the thing you don't want. Right, done that? The thing you want is being withdrawn from sale so here's your money back. But the thing you don't want? We're not giving you back the money for that. Don't want the thing? Tough, we're keeping the £50."

When people are aware of what they're entering into, then no I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Buyer's choice to risk that or not.

• Like 1

It's also the fact you are stating its a diamond pass combo for people who want to see 1 guest. What if I want to see a guest who isn't a diamond pass ? That means showmasters have to make a combo ticket for every single guest. This will make things so complicated.

So I decide I only want to see 1 guest and buy a combo ticket for said guest. Later Showmasters add another guest I really want to see so then book a non combo Photoshoot ticket as I already have an entrance ticket included. Combo guest cancels and now I have a Photoshoot ticket but no entrance ticket. I do understand how disappointing it is when guests cancel but as people have said, you just have to accept if you are there for 1 guest it's a risk you have to take.

Who forced you to buy a 3 day ticket? The talk was advertised as Sunday so you could have easily done everything Sunday with the diamond pass.

When people are aware of what they're entering into, then no I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Buyer's choice to risk that or not.

What you're essentially selling, then, is a lottery ticket.

Who forced you to buy a 3 day ticket? The talk was advertised as Sunday so you could have easily done everything Sunday with the diamond pass.

I repeat: This isn't about me.

I can't see a huge problem here, I can see what everyone's points are in terms of finding a different way to operate however this is only my second LFCC and I also have loads of guests that I want to meet, but as someone who has to pay for train tickets and a hotel - I accept this commitment at an early stage and realise that I stand to lose what I spent in a worst case scenario.

My first LFCC (last summer) - I only wanted to meet Kurt Angle and I was absolutely gutted when he cancelled (neck surgery, pretty understandable) but I still went and I had an insanely good time, I met some wildcard people like Rose Leslie who quite honestly made my entire weekend. I wasn't disappointed anymore despite really wanting to meet Kurt Angle. And this was my FIRST one!

My second LFCC (winter) - I booked the same train tickets, and hotels for a weekend, all entry tickets and several photo ops, and then the event was moved to Brighton late on and I stood to lose everything. Which I essentially did, but I got over it pretty quick - it IS the nature of the system and if I can understand that on my second Comic Con then why can't others?

This is my actual second LFCC and I am absolutely ecstatic about all of the guests that are still going, it's a perfectly strong offering and Showmasters put on a seriously good show considering that no other event has the amount of stars in the UK that LFCC does.

IF a guest doesn't attend in this way (and trust me, I know what it feels like, it sucks) then it's because their accepting the terms of a no-doubt lucrative and expensive contract with their tv show or film production company, one that will ruin his career and cost him a lot of money if he doesn't abide by the terms.

At Comic Con events we are PRIVILEGED to meet these stars, not entitled. Showmasters evidently do the best that they can.

I sometimes feel that there is physically nothing more Showmasters can do to make people happy

Edited by dodge15
  • Like 4

Taking you out of the equation then ANYONE who wanted to do all of the Ron Perlman activities could have purchased a Sunday ticket and a diamond pass and been fine. If ANYONE bought a 3 day pass for one guest clearly didn't read the announcement properly, or wanted to meet other people, and then changed their mind based on the cancellation. This then circles round again to the fact THEY changed their mind, THEY knew the terms of sale when they bought the tickets, and THEY CHOOSE NOT to attend.

I chose not to attend in Spring because I only had one guest and it was effort. Lucky for me they are here this year. If I had purchased a ticket for Spring and then decided that it was effort, I would have had to take the hit. Just like people are now.

Unless THEY were hoping to get a bunch of stuff signed and hike up the price on Ebay in which case we should point and laugh and bathe in their tears

Edited by john1980
  • Like 1

• Moderators

No it's not.

With a lottery ticket, you either win or you don't. The majority of the time you'll get nothing back whatsoever.

That's like suggesting that Showmasters either give you a guest for your entry ticket, or nothing at all. Like there's nothing in between.

No.

It's the buyer's choice to enter into this if they literally ONLY want to meet one guest who could cancel.

There is still everything else on offer at the event whether the person wants it or not.

• Like 1

Damn he was the guest I was the more excited about from the start.... Show is still packed, but arrrrghhhh... SM try and bring him back next year and to make up for this you now have to bring Charlie Hunnam along....

There goes my first ever diamond ticket

Guest suggestion for LFCC 2017 , Ron Perlman please

Same for me too my first diamond pass i agree hope they can get in future :-)

• Like 2

No it's not.

With a lottery ticket, you either win or you don't. The majority of the time you'll get nothing back whatsoever.

That's like suggesting that Showmasters either give you a guest for your entry ticket, or nothing at all. Like there's nothing in between.

No.

It's the buyer's choice to enter into this if they literally ONLY want to meet one guest who could cancel.

There is still everything else on offer at the event whether the person wants it or not.

Maybe calling it a Lottery Ticket was a bit much, I apologise and withdraw the analogy.

But I still think a lot of the arguments are coming down to "it's just bad luck if they cancel but we're keeping some of the money". I think that's unfair, that's all.