Costumes!

Mighty Mo

I thought since we all love lord of the Rings and so many people dress up for the collectormania events that we could have a costumes based thread just for Lord Of The Rings! :D

it can be past costumes or ones on the way, that you have put time and effort into making and wearing! :blink:

Well for C6 i am attempting to make a Galadriel dress (all white and long / flowy).

th_picture_of_dress.jpg

th_cloak.jpg

I got this picture from the art of the Fellowship book!

The top picture is the dress and the bottom picture is the cloak that goes with it!

why don't you tell me of the costumes you have made or are going to make!

MO

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a stupid green Eowyn dress under my chest of drawers half finished but I got stuck on the yoke *grumbles* damn yoke. And now I have all my GCSE's to get through before I can work on it. :angry:

But I WILL finish it for LFACC2 or C6!

im not making a costume!!!! waaaaaaay too much hassle!!! he he he aahh just thought... better not say that here.... could get into trouble!!!! lol lol :wub::wub::wub:

Making a costume is not too easy so your opinian is accepted i won't tell you off for not trying!

If anyone can give me tips on where the hell to start, it would be much appreciated. I haven't got a god damn clue, also I am still too nervous to come dressed up.

nyhobbit

I chose an idea and looked at it on film and ina book got materiel from the market and will use an old dress to sew things to and add on as that is easier than making it completely from Scratch!

MO

If anyone can give me tips on where the hell to start, it would be much appreciated. I haven't got a god damn clue, also I am still too nervous to come dressed up.

:wub: nyhobbit :lol:

well I just start by thinking, right well it has to be LOTR, then I think about things I already have and think about the costumes I like, I also consider what will be affective and still easy to do.

Basicaly I just go for the easyest (and cheapest) option.

one thing to consider though is:

do you want it easy

do you want it cheap

do you want it quickly

you can choose a maximum of two of these points, there fore start NOW! or as soon as School/College/Uni finishes for summer.

also remember measure twice cut once, and plan everything before you even buy anything let alone start it. make sure you are going to be able to get everything you want before you buy anything, the last thing you want is to get eveything except the perfect braid, and so have to put it on hold untill you do, alturnatively if you are not too much of a perfectionist just go for any braid that will do like I did!

but most of all choose a character you are going to enjoy being, it will give you the insentive to carry on when you get fed up with sewing.

I am planning on making a merry in his armour costume, and a secret costume that only Mo and Jay know of (it is secret because I dont think I will be able to do it, but if I do then it wont be secret anymore) this will prpbably give it away, but can anyone get hold of those stilts that people use to paint the cealing with, ie stilts that I can walk in without training!

thanx

Naomi

:lol:

My friend at college is a brilliant dress designer, she is just too good!, anyway I am gonna ask her to make mine and LMB's costume for the next collectomania event... :rolleyes:

We're thinking elvish or Hobbit style for me *giggles* :wub:

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! dont make me laugh!!! i cant possibly make a costume!!!!! i dont have the time, creativity, genius etc to do a thing like that!!!!! :P:wub: what you drssing up as? by the way, this is nothing lotr related but mum wanted me to tell you she got a distinction for her human growth and development assignment!!!!! how cool!!!! bless my mum... she's working really hard at the mo!!! :D:rolleyes::wub::D

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! dont make me laugh!!! i cant possibly make a costume!!!!! i dont have the time, creativity, genius etc to do a thing like that!!!!! :D:P what you drssing up as? by the way, this is nothing lotr related but mum wanted me to tell you she got a distinction for her human growth and development assignment!!!!! how cool!!!! bless my mum... she's working really hard at the mo!!! :P:P:wub::D

Aah bless your mum, tell her well done!!, its hard the old assignment buisness.. I am gonna go as a hobbit and Clare as an elf.... Jodie could make yours you could dress up anyway buy an outfit!! :rolleyes::wub::D, did you look at ticket thing on fof?

I made a Rosie dress based on the one she wore at Bilbo's party which I wore at this NZ event to celebrate the World premiere of RotK. I'm gonna try and make another hobbity one and an elf one but better quality because once its made your like sooo proud of yourself!

If your thinking of making one - Go for it!!!

Costumes are great conversation starters....you'll regret it if you don't do it :)

One great costume site (Unless it's already been mentioned, sorry if it has!) is www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr :)

Ah...the usual for me.

One day I will go totally off key and come as some form of farmyard animal....

Sorry I have nothing new to report costume wise!!! But one day I will hang up the frying pans and go as Van Helsing.

Isn't that going to be a bit of a bugger to make? Or do you enjoy the challenge lol?

I'm going as my elven self to the next Collectormania in a dress one of my best friends made me for my birthday...the cloak only needs some more embroidery and I need a cirlclet but aside from that, it's done :) I'm not going as Frodo again....my feet didn't suffer at all but getting up at 6am on a Saturday morning after 4 hours sleep wasn't fun! :P

Van Helsing or the farmyard animal? lol! Both need a lot of leather and I have got PLENTY of holes in my fingers from previous costumes which involved leather stitching freehand.

Unless I was a chicken...then all I have to worry about is feathers...

I have said before, I admire anyone who makes elven dresses, I find them far harder then crafting weapons and sewing leather, simply because they have to actually fit!

*I would never be a good tailor*

one thing to consider though is:

do you want it easy

do you want it cheap

do you want it quickly

you can choose a maximum of two of these points, there fore start NOW! or as soon as School/College/Uni finishes for summer.

but most of all choose a character you are going to enjoy being, it will give you the insentive to carry on when you get fed up with sewing.

Oh God! None of those points work in my case!!!!!

I want mine for October, I have all summer to do it, but I don't know where to start :angry:

I'd love my costume to be easy and cheap, but seeing as I'm making this . . . . . .

eomer-promo2.jpg

. . . . . I don't think that's going to be an option!!!! :o

Hehehe a CHICKEN!!!

Chickens are good! At least, there must be some running round in Rohan....or maybe Gondor....I could go for full out armored Mordor Chicken with sword-slashing action....

*hmmmmmmm*

Yay!!!!!! Chickens taste nice - so if I saw you running round in Gondor/Rohan I might have to eat you. Sorry in advance.

Stitching swede freehand is also tough but leather.....you must be mad :P

The elven dress I have is purple velvet with organza sleeves and the beading took her 9 hours apparently....I don't have the patience so I admire anyone who does have the patience although saying that, I did handsew my entire Frodo costume and three of the other Fellowship cloaks.... :P

My dad is so cheeky...he just suggested I go as Gizmo next time! :unsure: