Ron Perlman Cancellation?

Turning down acting work can affect future work if they get a reputation for saying they won't do extra filming because they went to a convention. If I was a casting directer and heard that an actor did this regularly then I probably wouldn't consider then as you want the shoot to run smoothly. I used to work in a similar industry and being flexible is VERY important.

Hold on, there are two different things here.

There is "extra filming" and "new job".

Your first sentence seems to merge the two together in to one issue; they're not.

Turning down a new job because you already have a commitment would not get you a bad rep. However I do accept that refusing to do reshoots because of a Con would; but my point is that reshoots are so common that celebs should take that in to consideration before agreeing to something like LFCC.

They do, but they don't ALWAYS happen, so they say yes to the cons so knowing that they can cancel if the work comes up.

And my argument is that they shouldn't. :-)

IF the con falls in the reasonable "reshoot time zone", surely it makes sense to keep that time free rather than wishing upon a star and mucking around thousands of fans?

Fair enough. But I imagine that we wouldn't get half the great names we do if that was the case.

Turning down acting work can affect future work if they get a reputation for saying they won't do extra filming because they went to a convention. If I was a casting directer and heard that an actor did this regularly then I probably wouldn't consider then as you want the shoot to run smoothly. I used to work in a similar industry and being flexible is VERY important.

Hold on, there are two different things here.

There is "extra filming" and "new job".

Your first sentence seems to merge the two together in to one issue; they're not.

Turning down a new job because you already have a commitment would not get you a bad rep. However I do accept that refusing to do reshoots because of a Con would; but my point is that reshoots are so common that celebs should take that in to consideration before agreeing to something like LFCC.

They do, but they don't ALWAYS happen, so they say yes to the cons so knowing that they can cancel if the work comes up.

And my argument is that they shouldn't. :-)

IF the con falls in the reasonable "reshoot time zone", surely it makes sense to keep that time free rather than wishing upon a star and mucking around thousands of fans?

Fair enough. But I imagine that we wouldn't get half the great names we do if that was the case.

I think we would. We just wouldn't have gotten THIS name. We would have instead got someone who wouldn't have had to cancel.

No offence...but you're talking like you are an expert in booking celebrities and arranging contracts to appear at events.

I bet it's excepionally difficult to get someone of Ron's caliber to even provisionally agree to appear at events (especially abroad), with loads of clauses and factors to include.

Saying 'I think we would' means absolutely nothing as an opinion.

Edited by tompain100
  • Like 1

celebs should take that into consideration before signing to appear at a Con.

Not to dismiss your valid points, Stenun. But your last sentence says it all.

Would you prefer SM signed up Hollywood stars months in advance with a chance they might cancel. Or wait until the week of the show and hopefully announce 50+ guests?

Could you imagine trying to run a show, let alone a business like that? And how would a fan prepare themselves financially etc for such a larger burst of guests.

How about signing up stars *who know they'll be free* instead of stars who are taking a chance?

what stars 'know they'll be free' for certain.The answer is none unless they are retired from performing. A job offer can come in the next few minutes or months away, who knows. They don't work in the same place or often even in the same country from one project to another. It could be a days work or a whole series. None of them work like fans usually do in permanent places like for the council or an office or a factory working set hours like 9 till 5 or shifts every week. Thought that was obvious but obviously not. :smile: . Showmasters point out time and again theres allways a possibility a star may have to cancel as their career allways comes first.

WHY should one job offer trump another? How about sticking to what you said you'd do? Read my John Thaw story above.

because 'Acting' is his profession not appearing at a convention and his career comes first.

Did you read my John Thaw story? :-)

On your point of 'how about sticking to what you'd said you'd do?' ,well he is, he's completing his original job offer to his employers satisfaction , which means he can't do the convention. Just like i have to finish a job before the next one even if it means a cancelation or a delay for the next customer. thats life. I'm dissapointed he's not coming and i'm out of pocket but showmasters again and again tell people theres allways a chance someone might have to cancel, thankfully most don't but its happened with Ron this time but what can you do, its his job and it comes first. so ....looking forward to the time he can come.

No offence...but you're talking like you are an expert in booking celebrities and arranging contracts to appear at events.

I bet it's excepionally difficult to get someone of Ron's caliber to even provisionally agree to appear at events (especially abroad), with loads of clauses and factors to include.

Saying 'I think we would' means absolutely nothing as an opinion.

*shrugs* The point I was replying to began with "I imagine". I don't see why "I think we would" means my point is more invalid than the point that began with "I imagine".

celebs should take that into consideration before signing to appear at a Con.

Not to dismiss your valid points, Stenun. But your last sentence says it all.

Would you prefer SM signed up Hollywood stars months in advance with a chance they might cancel. Or wait until the week of the show and hopefully announce 50+ guests?

Could you imagine trying to run a show, let alone a business like that? And how would a fan prepare themselves financially etc for such a larger burst of guests.

How about signing up stars *who know they'll be free* instead of stars who are taking a chance?

what stars 'know they'll be free' for certain.The answer is none unless they are retired from performing. A job offer can come in the next few minutes or months away, who knows. They don't work in the same place or often even in the same country from one project to another. It could be a days work or a whole series. None of them work like fans usually do in permanent places like for the council or an office or a factory working set hours like 9 till 5 or shifts every week. Thought that was obvious but obviously not. :smile: . Showmasters point out time and again theres allways a possibility a star may have to cancel as their career allways comes first.

WHY should one job offer trump another? How about sticking to what you said you'd do? Read my John Thaw story above.

because 'Acting' is his profession not appearing at a convention and his career comes first.

Did you read my John Thaw story? :-)

On your point of 'how about sticking to what you'd said you'd do?' ,well he is, he's completing his original job offer to his employers satisfaction , which means he can't do the convention. Just like i have to finish a job before the next one even if it means a cancelation or a delay for the next customer. thats life. I'm dissapointed he's not coming and i'm out of pocket but showmasters again and again tell people theres allways a chance someone might have to cancel, thankfully most don't but its happened with Ron this time but what can you do, its his job and it comes first. so ....looking forward to the time he can come.

But then why agree to do something else when it clashes with what you said you'd do?

My point is:

If the clash in schedule is with something he agreed to BEFORE agreeing to the Con, he should never have agreed to the Con.

If the clash in schedule is with something he agreed to AFTER agreeing to the Con, he should never have agreed to it.

This thread needs to be locked, it's getting out of hand. At the end of the day, guests are always gonna cancel for various reasons, most of which are listed above. It's common practice and always will be. There's still a GREAT lineup!

All I'd like to know is if it's possible we'll get confirmation this weekend or if it'll be Monday? Otherwise, lock this thread mods as its too out of hand.

don't agree, its hardly getting out of hand, nobody is being disrespectful in any way, just pointing out different views on the subject. Nobody is going to have thier opinion changed by whats posted here, just a forum, we just see things differently. I have my view and perfectly happy to read how others see it.

• Like 1

This thread needs to be locked, it's getting out of hand. At the end of the day, guests are always gonna cancel for various reasons, most of which are listed above. It's common practice and always will be. There's still a GREAT lineup!

All I'd like to know is if it's possible we'll get confirmation this weekend or if it'll be Monday? Otherwise, lock this thread mods as its too out of hand.

don't agree, its hardly getting out of hand, nobody is being disrespectful in any way, just pointing out different views on the subject. Nobody is going to have thier opinion changed by whats posted here, just a forum, we just see things differently. I have my view and perfectly happy to read how others see it.

Exactly! Thank you! :-)

But then why agree to do something else when it clashes with what you said you'd do?

My point is:

If the clash in schedule is with something he agreed to BEFORE agreeing to the Con, he should never have agreed to the Con.

If the clash in schedule is with something he agreed to AFTER agreeing to the Con, he should never have agreed to it.

Shooting schedules can change at the last minute due to numerous reasons (availability of locations etc...). Contracts for filming don't allow actors to be unavailable for filming due to other commitments (except when those commitments are known about before contracts are signed). Contracts for conventions allow actors to pull out of appearing if they need to due to work commitments. That won't change because no agent worth their fee would tell an actor to sign a contract for a convention that prevented them from taking or finishing some film/TV work.

The simple matter is that going to conventions is an added extra and will never take priority over their acting work.

i actually want an official statement from showmasters

It will come, just be patient. They have to speak to the relevant people before they can make any kind of comment.

My point is:

Shooting schedules can change at the last minute due to numerous reasons (availability of locations etc...). Contracts for filming don't allow actors to be unavailable for filming due to other commitments (except when those commitments are known about before contracts are signed). Contracts for conventions allow actors to pull out of appearing if they need to due to work commitments. That won't change because no agent worth their fee would tell an actor to sign a contract for a convention that prevented them from taking or finishing some film/TV work.

The simple matter is that going to conventions is an added extra and will never take priority over their acting work.

I understand that What I'm saying is that reshoots and schedule changes are so common that they should be factored in to what a celeb agrees to do.

If LFCC is so close to the ending of some filming that any reshoots would necessitate a cancellation, I argue that the contract for LFCC should never be signed in the first place.

Maybe Stenun wants an LFCC filled with old Dr Who and Star Wars extras :P

No.

But I would like to not have my views turned in to Straw Man arguments, even in jest. :D

We won't get anywhere in this discussion if people just laugh at each other. :)

• Like 1

Just a bit of light hearted banter lol. But seriously that's what LFCC could be reduced to. At least until the couple of weeks leading up to a con when more sought after actors could make such a commitment.

There will be one if needed but it's the weekend, so it will be Monday at the earliest.

they have a twitter which could resolve this for everyone

That's run by DavidB who is a volunteer and a mod on here too. He doesn't work in the office or have the official say on anything (sorry David!)

There will be one if needed but it's the weekend, so it will be Monday at the earliest.

they have a twitter which could resolve this for everyone

The Showmasters Twitter is run by a fan, not the actual company.

Just a bit of light hearted banter lol. But seriously that's what LFCC could be reduced to. At least until the couple of weeks leading up to a con when more sought after actors could make such a commitment.

I disagree.

First of all I'd point to Michael J Fox.

Secondly, I argue that if Showmasters stopped going after possibles and went for definites then we'd still have some great names but they'd just be different names.

I disagree.

First of all I'd point to Michael J Fox.

Secondly, I argue that if Showmasters stopped going after possibles and went for definites then we'd still have some great names but they'd just be different names.

He was using the appearance for charity reasons, so a bit different.

I still can't disagree strongly enough with your 2nd point. I honestly don't see it.

• Like 1