I appreciate that some people ...

SM not always is using the term "big". Witk Kim it was "cool". But what for some is big for some isn't. What for some one guest is worth the diamond pass for other is not. We all should try and appreciate that we have some guests and comic con in general

• Like 1

First, may I start by saying that I've been attending Showmasters events since 2010, its where I really first started, I appreciate and respect the fact that Jason has got us some pretty frickin fine guests and i'll be forever grateful for two in particular, Jim Balent and Holly GoLightly :)

I guess for some I may seem like a curmudgeonly old git, but I can be hip and down wit the kids yo, basically I care, a few years back I did my best for a number of friends who were grieving for the passing of a very well known celebrity and I was hearing all kinds of horror stories about those whom were grieving, I wanted to do my best for them, let them know there was someone who cared - I guess sometimes I don't come across as caring, but believe me, I am.

With this forum there are us who've been here for quite some time, and there are newbies who always are joining up, in some cases this will probably be their first taste of a convention, I guess what I'm trying to say is different people expect or want different guests, some are most definitely realistic, peeps from Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who to name three fandoms, there are then the guests that are like "WOW! YOU GOT GILLIAN ANDERSON?!?!?" all of us in 2012 were amazed when she was announced as we all knew how she felt about signing X Files, then last year Sigourney Weaver (another terrific guest).

It was when people started thinking we'd see the likes of Harrison, (don't worry, I'm not gonna go into one here) Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Lucas, Stallone, Depp, Cruise, Jolie, DeNiro et al- and personally (for me) I found it heartbreaking (it actually upset me) that people were getting their hopes up thinking these massively big names would be in attendance - theres also the other factor for it, the price, with a big name comes the price tag and I've seen all kinds of discussions when people get a bit upset that someone is £1 more than what they expected.

Personally, I stay away when a big guest announcement thread is made cos I don't like seeing people think it would be Tarantino or Dwayne Johnson or someone be told its someone EQUALLY AWESOME to another set of Fans.

2014 Stan Lee was the big guest announcement and that WAS a terrific announcement, lets face it so many were happy and the same day Carrie was announced but without the big build up and people were still happy.

At the end of the day, I would love to see everyone happy and get on but ultimately this isn't always realistic... Anyways am still hoping that Jason announces Michelle Pfeiffer, I would pay ALL the money if she was doing a photoshoot dressed up as #Catwoman ;)

But seriously... I'm hoping we get Ian Smith as a guest so DavidB can FINALLY have some lovin' with Harold Bishop... ;)

• Like 1

Reading some of the comments on here people are saying what is viewed as a big guest announcement for one person is not for someone else. This is very true. So how can SM decide who is a big enough name to justify a build up for? They can't. There will always be someone who is disappointed. So for that reason I think they should do away with the guessing games and just announce them. Yes there will still be some negative comments but no where near on the same scale as just recently.

Edited by Tony1975
  • Like 1

First, may I start by saying that I've been attending Showmasters events since 2010, its where I really first started, I appreciate and respect the fact that Jason has got us some pretty frickin fine guests and i'll be forever grateful for two in particular, Jim Balent and Holly GoLightly :)

I guess for some I may seem like a curmudgeonly old git, but I can be hip and down wit the kids yo, basically I care, a few years back I did my best for a number of friends who were grieving for the passing of a very well known celebrity and I was hearing all kinds of horror stories about those whom were grieving, I wanted to do my best for them, let them know there was someone who cared - I guess sometimes I don't come across as caring, but believe me, I am.

With this forum there are us who've been here for quite some time, and there are newbies who always are joining up, in some cases this will probably be their first taste of a convention, I guess what I'm trying to say is different people expect or want different guests, some are most definitely realistic, peeps from Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who to name three fandoms, there are then the guests that are like "WOW! YOU GOT GILLIAN ANDERSON?!?!?" all of us in 2012 were amazed when she was announced as we all knew how she felt about signing X Files, then last year Sigourney Weaver (another terrific guest).

It was when people started thinking we'd see the likes of Harrison, (don't worry, I'm not gonna go into one here) Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Lucas, Stallone, Depp, Cruise, Jolie, DeNiro et al- and personally (for me) I found it heartbreaking (it actually upset me) that people were getting their hopes up thinking these massively big names would be in attendance - theres also the other factor for it, the price, with a big name comes the price tag and I've seen all kinds of discussions when people get a bit upset that someone is £1 more than what they expected.

Personally, I stay away when a big guest announcement thread is made cos I don't like seeing people think it would be Tarantino or Dwayne Johnson or someone be told its someone EQUALLY AWESOME to another set of Fans.

2014 Stan Lee was the big guest announcement and that WAS a terrific announcement, lets face it so many were happy and the same day Carrie was announced but without the big build up and people were still happy.

At the end of the day, I would love to see everyone happy and get on but ultimately this isn't always realistic... Anyways am still hoping that Jason announces Michelle Pfeiffer, I would pay ALL the money if she was doing a photoshoot dressed up as #Catwoman ;)

But seriously... I'm hoping we get Ian Smith as a guest so DavidB can FINALLY have some lovin' with Harold Bishop... ;)

See, for me personally, none of those names you mentioned would be particularly exciting. Yet there's no denying any one of them would attract massive crowds!

• Like 1

See, for me personally, none of those names you mentioned would be particularly exciting. Yet there's no denying any one of them would attract massive crowds!

In the case of Jim Balent and Holly GoLightly, they were the two main reasons I went to LFCC Spring, both were lovely peeps and I got some cherished signatures on some of my #Catwoman comics.

Very interesting you mention this as a few years ago at Collectormania I was talking to my Friends daughter about how excited I was at seeing a very well known stuntman, she argued the case that an actor from some major tv series was bigger, in this instance rather than time being an abstract concept its the size of a guest, Jeff Rawle for example in my opinion is a terrific guest as I enjoyed Drop The Dead Donkey and his role in it.

Last year, Robert Watts and Dave Barclay were the main reasons I went to LFCC and I take your viewpoint that they aren't known to many as opposed to the likes of say Sigourney or Mads.

I do remember, in 2014 (this I remember very well) we had a big guest announcement thread and the clue was "This is a name that everyone will know" and thus the speculation began, personally? I was glad it was Jett (son of Star Wars God, George) Lucas. :)

For me Stan Lee is not really exciting guest and I know he is huge, but I have no desire to meet him. But honestly, I would never dissed any guest here. I have 18 photoshoots booked and last year I had barely 7. So I have to say that I am very happy. I was happy when they announced Kim Coates and even if he can't be called "big", he was one of the guests I desperately want to meet.

Everybody is different and you can't please everyone. But honestly all the whining and moaning about the guest list is purely embarassing. If I don't like the guest I am not commenting and not reading the thread (wish there was "ignore" button) but I wouldn't complain that it was not someone I wanted to meet.

Grow up people. B**ching here is one thing, but talking s*it to guest directly just because SM decided they were big is not acceptable. I can only assume that SM crew is the one who is labeling the guests, They are big, they are cool they are massive and exciting guests and I love it. Everyone can find someone they want to meet and if not then there's next time.

• Like 1

Maybe the way to go is for SM to manage people's expectations a bit more. I love the announcements but clearly not everyone enjoys the resultant guest named.

As such why not have an announcement such as "we have a cool Star Wars guest to announce etc" that way you can exclude the fans who don't like Star Wars in one fell swoop and the Star Wars fans can participate in the guessing game..just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

Maybe the way to go is for SM to manage people's expectations a bit more. I love the announcements but clearly not everyone enjoys the resultant guest named.

As such why not have an announcement such as "we have a cool Star Wars guest to announce etc" that way you can exclude the fans who don't like Star Wars in one fell swoop and the Star Wars fans can participate in the guessing game..just my 2 cents...

then you'd have comments such as "another Star Wars? Why not *insert random popular movie franchise/tv show name* you never announcing anyone from *insert random popular movie franchise/tv show*."

Not a bad idea but made slight difficult as for a lot of guests it would be hard to specify a particular franchise. :smile:

Sounds like a good enough reason for SM to get Gillian back* ;)

*Not that a reason is really needed!

I'd definitely go for getting her back, I'd be up for getting her for Hannibal.

SM not always is using the term "big". Witk Kim it was "cool". But what for some is big for some isn't. What for some one guest is worth the diamond pass for other is not. We all should try and appreciate that we have some guests and comic con in General

And think of all the conclusions attendees were making because the word "cool" was used. :lol:

What do you mean with "ban them"? From the Forum, from the Events?

Personally I am all for that. Both versions. I agree, if they can't behave they don't deserve to be on the playground.

And we have banned users from the Forum for things like this. Sometimes "online identities" are much easier to match up. Event bans are harder to accomplish, and a lot of these people (I really don't want to use the term fans) know that. But yeah, we have had a number of people banned from attending events as well.

Soup Nazi : No con for you , NEXT !

What do you mean with "ban them"? From the Forum, from the Events?

Personally I am all for that. Both versions. I agree, if they can't behave they don't deserve to be on the playground.

And we have banned users from the Forum for things like this. Sometimes "online identities" are much easier to match up. Event bans are harder to accomplish, and a lot of these people (I really don't want to use the term fans) know that. But yeah, we have had a number of people banned from attending events as well.

Soup Nazi : No con for you , NEXT !

I take it you are volunteering for this position? :lol:

There's people now messaging Ron. Saying their not impressed how he handle the cancellation. What more do these people want? So annoyed with these people. It happens

I saw that and I was so annoyed by that. I mean, come on! Yes, everyone has the right to be upset about a cancellation but there is absolutely NO NEED to be rude about it! Especially to the actor! Some people need to shut up and grow up.

So how can SM decide who is a big enough name to justify a build up for? They can't.

Well, someone must decide who will be a Diamond Pass guest - they're almost always going to be a big name, so in a way they already do decide.

Personally I wasn't meeting Ron but feel for the ones that were. Unbelievable to think that people are messaging him though Work commitments always come first, I just wish people could understand that.

I had a similar experience.

I bought a ticket for an event with plans to meet a particular guest, only for that guest to cancel due to work commitments (the guest did post a video apologising, saying work comes first) but I had a few others as back-ups.

I was also told about one other celebrity being invited to attend another event, but he was unsure if he could attend or not due to not yet knowing his schedule, and didn't want to let the fans down by saying yes, then having to cancel nearer the time.

Ahhh the mention of Gillian Anderson in a thread has made me want to cry :-( I missed her....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Still I love seeing people excited, glady they outnumber the grumblers by a mile still :-D

As KingRichard mentioned, many of us, myself included, were stunned when Gillian turned up to LFCC 2012 and was more than happy to sign X-Files pics after previously refusing to for years. A rare guest and opportunity if ever there was one.

I was even more surprised when Showmasters got her back the year after at Milton Keynes and her price had gone from £45 to £30!!!

Honestly not trying to rub it in, but I am so happy I met her both times and got four X-Files pics signed. She is one of my top 3 actresses and her autos are a cornerstone of my collection. She was thoroughly lovely in person and I would LOVE for her to do another show so I could have her sign some new X-Files pics for Season 10. In fact there are at least 4 or 5 more things I would like her to sign!

Hope you get to meet her one day soon.

Edited by Dent_1