I appreciate that some people ...

I appreciate that some people are disappointed over tonight's announcement - there are always disappointed people when Showmasters insist on doing their pre-anouncement build-ups. But some people have been tweeting the guest with their disappointment?? What the ACTUAL H***??? Do you guys want Showmasters to get a bad rep? Because they will if you carry on like that and if they do then that will impact on future guests attendance!

Not to mention the fact that it's just plain RUDE! Grow up,, people!

My apologies to all those to whom this does not apply, but if you are one of those polite people maybe we could spam twitter with links to this thread and try and get through to people? :-)

It's not on that they are tweeting him; some people can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy. These said people should be kept away from the Internet and any art form until they can tell the difference.

• Like 1

This thread makes me happy. So many people with the same voice saying "yeah it's not for us but hey ho let's get on with it"! I really really do not get people who get upset over guest announcements. What are you losing from that guest being announced if you don't want to meet them? In fairness none of the "big" guests apart from one have been up my street,do I complain or get abusive? No! I just think right ok not for me but that saves me money for other guests!

• Like 1

It's pathetic! Nobody in their right mind would tweet abuse to someone, famous or not. Unfortunately with social media people hide behind their keyboards spouting all sorts of idiotic crap.

This is supposed to be a fun event, it's fun to try and guess, the banter is fun! Some people just have to spoil it.

You will never please everyone, but there is no call for rudeness or trolling!

• Like 1

i think also it works both ways with a big guest name being built up,some people won't know who it is,and shouldn't be slated because of that. They are allowed to comment good or bad!

that's asinine! if those "people" don't even know who the guest is then how can you leave any comment! they literally have no frame of reference! By all means abuse DavidB but don't blame the guest!

And don't get me started on the people that only come to cons to meet 1 actor or actress. That's even less chance of being pleased...

There's the 'I'm going to this event so *insert fave actors name* has to come' or the '*insert fave actors name* is coming so I'm going to this event'. I'm one of the latter kind, and happy as can be(well..convention/meeting fave-wise..) I think the first kind of people are only setting themselves up for disappointment, which leads to unhappy faces and negativity.

Being disappointed after expecting/hoping for another actor is understandable. But where it's not your(not anyone in particular, just a general 'your') kind of guest, it IS someone elses and conventions and their guest aren't organized and picked for just one person.

Not being from England and having a particular taste in movies and series, which limits the things I watch, I don't know about 8 out of 10 people announced, but commenting a 'who!?!?' is just rude, stupid and disrespectful, in my opinion. It doesn't add something of value, if anything it's adding negativity and if anything is useless it's that.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and to share that opinion, but sometimes it's just..too much and is keeping a month closed a better idea(again, not a personal attack on anyone, just my general idea).

Unfortunately you'll get people like that "Oh it's not who I wanted, I wanted so and so".

It does annoy me that people can complain that much and think that just because they're complaining, Showmasters are going to cancel the guest and sign the one that they want. That's not the case. Be happy with who you're seeing and leave the other guests to the peeps who want to see them!!!

Another reason why this 'big guest' announcement nonsense should stop. EVERYTIME some people are disappointed and vent their views, and EVERYTIME that happens it upsets other people.

Just announced the guest and let people who are thrilled by it hype it up!!

• Like 10

I get what you are saying Murph but why should SM be forced to adjust their perfectly legitimate behaviour simply because a group of people have no consideration or manners. I get what you mean that their won't be such an immediate and volatile outpouring after a build up but the Mods have said this does happen in the threads where they simply post a guest without any build up as well.

Unfortunately these people seem to be the type that cannot accept that the world, and the show don't exist to fulfill their personal wants, and that anyone els'es desires, and reality to a degree, are irrelevant. There isn't anything you can do about people like that, they will act up whatever you do. However it's argued the announcements are made it really doesn't in any way excuse abusing the moderators or posting rude messages to the announced guest.

If Showmasters want to have a bit of fun with the announcements then they should be allowed to.

If people can''t realise that out of the shear number of actors out there, that the chances of their No 1 guest being the one to be announced are pretty slim, then they need to have a serious think. I know we all get excited, that our hopes build, that we are convinced it has to be xxx being announced, especially when the clues match our hopes, but people should always realise the clues fit a lot of people and remember that. Yes get excited, even really really excited but remember 'It looks like it might be xxx, but it probably won't. Then if it is squee away.

Heck, I still convince my self that every announcement 'could be Benedict Cumberbatch' even when I'm reminding people in the same thread that it can't be because he's excluded by some of the clues!

• Like 8

Another reason why this 'big guest' announcement nonsense should stop. EVERYTIME some people are disappointed and vent their views, and EVERYTIME that happens it upsets other people.

Just announced the guest and let people who are thrilled by it hype it up!!

Like Raylenth I get what you are saying Murph. But as I said before, this issue happens in "big guest" just as well as in regular guest annoucements. It has nothing to do with the way the guest announcements done. Unfortunately a growing number of people just shouldn't be out online or even in public.

It's not the system's fault. Here some newspapers are on a crusade against the Pokemon Go game because people have been posting pictures of catching Pokemon in completely inappropriate places. If an adult isn't grown up enough not to play that game at memorials or heaven forbid places like a former concentration camp that is not the game's fault. If we follow your logic the game should never have been released. And oddly enough when SM changes things because there has been too much abuse again there's tons of complaints posts.

Or the amount of times I have seen kids throw tantrums at Disney. Should Disney close because some adults don't know how to handle/educate their kids?

Similar thing here. If people are acting like they do with guest announcements the issue is not with the announcement or the style it is done, the issue is with people lacking any adult manners.

• Like 10

I admit i was disappointed with the big guest announcement. My first reaction was who? But I wouldn't tweet them over it. That's bang out of order! To me Showmasters should reserve this sort of build up for big movie household names who most people have heard of whether they are a fan or not. Or better still just announce them. Other conventions don't do big build ups and I bet they don't get so many negative reactions.

• Like 3

I've been here a quite a few years and it just seems to be getting worse and worse. A guest announcement thread is just that, where as a 'big guest' announcement leading up to the announcement gets some people's hopes up and then they lash out when it's not to their liking. Sure a lot of people have fun guessing who it might be, but then it can get nasty afterwards.

I agree SM shouldn't have to change the way they do things to please people. But if it stops a guests getting hateful tweets, then surely that's a good enough reason for a rethink in future?

• Like 4

I hope i dont sound like too much of an ass for this post. im just being honest.

'build up to an announcement threads' are bad ideas in my opinion, and ive been pretty vocal with that opinion on here and on social media. yes, they can be fun (the one QS did was a proper laugh and i enjoyed being a part of that.) however, as previously said, everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a "big guest".

the build up gets everyone excited (as it should) but after the announcement a LOT of people feel disappointed and let down.

this is is NO way the guest(s) fault and any abuse directed towards them is both rude and wrong, but there is no denying that while the guest may be amazing for one person, it wont be for another. some people will be ecstatic (as you can see from the latest michael emerson announcement post) and others will be very disappointed.

im a firm believer that announcements shouldnt be built up. the build up is what lets people down, not the announcement.

imagine a chef who is known for making fantastic food. they've invited you for dinner and have said that you'll be having an amazing meal. they've built it up and your friends have all suggested awesome food that it could be. you get there, and its a meal you dont like. you're going to feel disappointed. you wouldnt blame the food itself for letting you down though.

people should be allowed to vent their disappointment after a build up, HOWEVER it shouldnt be directed at the guest. as ive mentioned above, its both rude and wrong.

personally, i'd much rather just see guest announcements posted when its all complete and finalised etc and without the build up.

without the build up people who are interested in the guest are like "OH WOW, THATS AWESOME!!!!" and people who arent interested just brush it off and move on because nothing has been built up and hopes havent been raised.

anyway, long post short:

Announcements: Good

Build up threads: Bad

Slagging off a guest you arent interested in because they've been built up beforehand: Very bad.

and summary summarised:

in general, just dont be a dick to people.

have a good day, everyone :)

P.S. slagging off a guest for any reason is wrong, whether or not they have been built up beforehand on here or social media.

Edited by josh-hammond
  • Like 7

I totally agree with you. I'm absolutely thrilled with tonight's announcement, brilliant actor! I thought he was excellent in Lost.

And those people who post bad things on social media or even forums are trolls (sorry, I have no other word to describe them) and have nothing better to do in their lives.

trolls are cute little plastic figures from the 80's or 90's with long hair, maybe we should just call these people faceless keyboard warriors.

• Like 1