Latest Guest Announcement - PAUL MCGANN

will sm have an Aliens photo on the day? ive noticed with the dr who guests that that's all there is. would love an aliens pic to go with the rest I have from sm

If you want a specific print it is always best to make sure you have your own as if SM said a specific print was going to be there on the day it is entirely possible that by the time you got to the guest that they had all gone.

will sm have an Aliens photo on the day? ive noticed with the dr who guests that that's all there is. would love an aliens pic to go with the rest I have from sm

If you want a specific print it is always best to make sure you have your own as if SM said a specific print was going to be there on the day it is entirely possible that by the time you got to the guest that they had all gone.

If I remember well, he didn't have any at his table last time

Want to get something signed by Paul but my favourite thing he's done is 'queen of the damned' but he doesn't appear on the DVD at all(but is in the movie) and it's a bitlate to order a poster. Not quite sure if I should or not.

Ask if they can send it special delivery as you'll get it next day then. Costs a bit more though.

I would but poster for that movie doesn't mention him either.

Would you be able to print off a picture? There's lots of good ones of him from the film on Google images

Good advice.

I remember when I saw Ralph Brown at Winter LFCC, I wanted him for Alien3 and at about midday I got the very last Alien3 pic he had on his table. I would have been GUTTED if that picture hadn't been there. Same story with Michael Madsen and a particular Kill Bill pic I really wanted from a dealer's stall who only had one left.

If I'm remembering correctly, they on the Saturday at LFCC last year they ran out of HARRY POTTER photos for Michael Gambon!

when i met paul mcgann at collectormania in 2014 there was alien 3 prints,so its likely that there will be alien 3 prints at this event

When they are there they always seem to be the same one of him facing forward with his co-star Danny Webb staring at the side of him. Sadly it's a pretty low quality image as high-def publicity stills are in short supply for Alien3.

Couldn't find any anywhere :( I was there on the Sunday, does anyone know if there were any Alien 3 pics at his stand on the Fri or Sat? I'll have to take something along to get signed next time to be on the safe side. Does he make appearances often?

Couldn't find any anywhere :( I was there on the Sunday, does anyone know if there were any Alien 3 pics at his stand on the Fri or Sat? I'll have to take something along to get signed next time to be on the safe side. Does he make appearances often?

I did ask him when he will be doing a convention over hear again and he said that he doesn't have any planned, as he doesn't do them in England often. He has ones in the U.S. and one in Ireland planned though.

• Like 1

I did ask him when he will be doing a convention over hear again and he said that he doesn't have any planned, as he doesn't do them in England often. He has ones in the U.S. and one in Ireland planned though.

He did have a stack of Alien3 pics when I met him Saturday afternoon. The same ones I mentioned before that he always has, with him and Alien3 co-star Danny Webb.

I'm not sure if I'd agree he doesn't do cons often. There was a time a year or two back where he seemed to be at every Showmasters event, the big ones and lots of the regional ones too. Certainly not a rare guest, which is great because he is always fantastic to meet and always seems to put the effort in with those who meet him.

Even though I have met him before (2012 I think!) he was definitely the best guest I met at this LFCC. Just a proper decent bloke who always seems to be having a laugh and seems to enjoy being at these things.

He did have a stack of Alien3 pics when I met him Saturday afternoon. The same ones I mentioned before that he always has, with him and Alien3 co-star Danny Webb.

I'm not sure if I'd agree he doesn't do cons often. There was a time a year or two back where he seemed to be at every Showmasters event, the big ones and lots of the regional ones too. Certainly not a rare guest, which is great because he is always fantastic to meet and always seems to put the effort in with those who meet him.

Even though I have met him before (2012 I think!) he was definitely the best guest I met at this LFCC. Just a proper decent bloke who always seems to be having a laugh and seems to enjoy being at these things.

Hmm it's not the best of photos in my opinion. Maybe it's for the best there were none left, think I'd rather buy something different before hand and get that signed rather than a picture I'm not that keen on! Hopefully he'll be back in the south soon. Charles Dance cancelled at the last one, so I'm still waiting to get my first Alien 3 autograph!

Hmm it's not the best of photos in my opinion. Maybe it's for the best there were none left, think I'd rather buy something different before hand and get that signed rather than a picture I'm not that keen on! Hopefully he'll be back in the south soon. Charles Dance cancelled at the last one, so I'm still waiting to get my first Alien 3 autograph!

For whatever reason there is very little high resolution material out there for Alien3. There are plenty of images, but nearly all of them are small pics that are low quality when blown up to 8x10.

Unlike many I LOVE Alien3 and have managed to get autos from:

Sigourney Weaver, Charles Dance, Paul McGann, Ralph Brown, Danny Webb and Lance Henriksen. I'm gutted I never got to meet Pete Postlethwaite when he was doing these shows. Otherwise I just need Tom Woodruff. Not that interested in the interchangeable baldie prisoners!

Yeah I'm also a big fan of Alien 3. That's a shame there aren't many high resolution images. What did you get signed by those guests? Did you get 8x10s from the desk or take something along? I'm considering getting an original poster and getting it signed by everyone, but that means I'll never end up getting it framed, because realistically I'm never going to get everyone (I'm quite a fan of the prisoners too). I might do this with the original Alien because at least with that I have a chance of getting the full cast of 7 people!

Edited by harbinger

e206c667-34b8-464e-aa59-65017dd837b8.jpg5a974431-ae2d-4979-9955-1d2ce08304fc.jpg795a9e60-acd8-436c-bbed-289d7849af1e.jpgd96a235c-6a2a-4c1a-bf41-eaf793abe42e.jpg7d50fe17-4ca8-40be-9374-80993a5f3b41.jpga8232418-de36-4575-9ffd-5d141fc3cac6.jpg
ce620404-529a-4bb7-84ff-f292d7a598ba.jpg

High-res images of Sigourney are easy enough to find but the one I used was NOT from an Alien 3 publicity shoot but rather from a fashion shoot she did (around the time of Alien 3) with the famous Helmut Newton, where she also put on her Alien 3 costume, amongst some stranger outfits. She LOVED the fact I brought that photo for her to sign - I don't think she'd seen it in a while and she called over her friend who was behind the table to have a look at it. She turned out to be Sigourney's make-up artist who has been with her for the last 25 years and was there at the shoot. So good choice I of pic I think! Obviously one I had printed up.

The Charles Dance pic was off-the-table at LFCC 2012. I usually only see pics of Dance in his prison fatigues, I have never seen this bright pic from the autopsy scene before or since. Quite good res.

The first McGann pic was off-the-table, the one I mentioned he always has. I like the pic itself and at arms length the photo is OK but up close you can see it is somewhat pixelated. Probably my worst resolution photo I have in my collection. Always intended to 'upgrade' if I could.

The second McGann I got printed up and signed last weekend. I always try and have a deep search online every now and again to see what images I can find that I may need in future. After YEARS of looking I have never come across such a good image of McGann in Alien3, so I think it is a recent upload. The first thing McGann said was: "WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!?" I explained google image search but he didn't get it so he gave me his email address to forward it him!

Ralph Brown is a softer image but not bad. Better than the McGann and Webb pic. This one was off-the-table and I'm happy enough. I just can't find decent pics of his character.

For Danny Webb I printed up a photo to take to an event last winter (not Showmasters) but I preferred the one here that was off-the-table. Again a bit of softness too it but perfectly fine.

Lance Henriksen is a very available high-res shot that I bought off a dealer (Stateside Stills) who does most Showmasters events.

Whilst not pictured, I do have a Charles Dutton pic (off the same dealer just mentioned), but for a main character good images of him in Alien3 are so hard to find.

Sorry for such a long post, put hopefully it may help/give some ideas. A poster is a great idea, I have always loved the main quad for Alien 3, with all the yellow it is very striking and would take lots of blue/black signatures very well.

Edited by Dent_1

Thanks for sharing your collection! It's really interesting actually, and it's pretty cool you have some nice little anecdotes for some of the guests you met (with Sigourney and McGann for example). With the second McGann picture, did you just take the image file to a photo printing shop and get it printed on glossy photo paper? Apologies if this is a daft question, but would it be possible to freeze frame a blu-ray, and get a screen grab of an image and take that to get printed on glossy photo paper? Obviously, it wouldn't be an 'official' image, but might be an idea if there's a lack of good images for a particular guest. In theory it should be high resolution right? Think I might leave the poster idea for Alien and just go for separate images for Alien 3.

but would it be possible to freeze frame a blu-ray, and get a screen grab of an image and take that to get printed on glossy photo paper? .

Many of the softer images above probably are screen captures. If there isn't a copyright/logo on the image, many of the 'official' free photos you see are just screen grabs from Blu-rays or DVDs.

Thanks for sharing your collection! It's really interesting actually, and it's pretty cool you have some nice little anecdotes for some of the guests you met (with Sigourney and McGann for example). With the second McGann picture, did you just take the image file to a photo printing shop and get it printed on glossy photo paper? Apologies if this is a daft question, but would it be possible to freeze frame a blu-ray, and get a screen grab of an image and take that to get printed on glossy photo paper? Obviously, it wouldn't be an 'official' image, but might be an idea if there's a lack of good images for a particular guest. In theory it should be high resolution right? Think I might leave the poster idea for Alien and just go for separate images for Alien 3.

No problem, you're one of the seemingly few people to like Alien3 so thought you might like seeing them. With McGann/any digital image I look for files of a certain pixel size, obviously the larger the better for something like an 8x10. I upload the image to an online service I use and have the photos sent to me. Most say matte paper is better for autographs but I always prefer to go with gloss, the images look punchier and the signatures sharper on them.

Screengrabs/screencaps can be a great image resource if you can find them in the quality you need and have the time to search through thousands of files. Frankly a screencap can be just as good quality as some 'official' publicity material out there and they do give you the choice of using images from favourite scenes.

In fact, I wanted to have Dave Prowse sign me an 8x10 at LFCC but could not settle on a Star Wars image I was happy with. In the end I used a screencap from one of my favourite Vader scenes in The Empire Strikes Back and I love the photo all the more for it. It is not super sharp, but then again most publicity images from the 80s aren't!

but would it be possible to freeze frame a blu-ray, and get a screen grab of an image and take that to get printed on glossy photo paper? .

Many of the softer images above probably are screen captures. If there isn't a copyright/logo on the image, many of the 'official' free photos you see are just screen grabs from Blu-rays or DVDs.

I think that is a bit of an over-simplification... I do not have a single autographed photo in my collection with copyright info because I consider the text something of an eyesore. A photo can be lacking copyright text and still be 'official' publicity material or from photoshoots, for example Weaver, Dance, McGann no.2 and Henriksen above.

Edited by Dent_1

Ah I see, is there an online service that you would recommend?

The possibility of using screen captures really opens up the potential options for signings now! I think in most cases I will be fine with what is on the desk, but it's definitely something to think about if I think I'll be uncertain.

I think that is a bit of an over-simplification... I do not have a single autographed photo in my collection with copyright info because I consider the text something of an eyesore. A photo can be lacking copyright text and still be 'official' publicity material or from photoshoots, for example Weaver, Dance, McGann no.2 and Henriksen above.

One prime example was the Mads Doctor Strange 8x10 that was on offer.