Saw movies

john1980

Seeing as we kinda hijacked the I have never thread I thought I'd start this.

I'd rate the films as follows

I

II

IV

VI

V

VII

III

I think that Whannell gave up around 3 and just wrote a lazy finale. I read somewhere where he actually said he only wrote the 3rd one to get a trilogy.

I think 4 featured the strongest performance from Tobin Bell as we got to see a lot more of a backstory before he became Jigsaw

I really enjoyed the first one, very well written, played and directed.

The second one was surprisingly not bad at all.

I couldn't watch the third one in full though, stopped about 1/3 of the movie, found it boring and just made to surf on the hype and get more money in the producer's pockets.

It prevented me from being fancy watching the rest of the series, and from what i've been told about the "final" cliffhanger, i did well.

My time has arrived.*cracks knuckles*

As a massive Hoffman fan (I acknowledge that he is awful trash, but he's MY awful trash) I feel that the films were still good and strong from IV onwards. They obviously didn't have the same tone as the first three, given that Hoffman replaced John as the main antagonist and both James Wan and Leigh Whannell had so much less to do with the franchise, but I maintain that they managed to keep the story flowing rather seamlessly in a full circle (Saw 3D was the poorest of the lot, but that ending was perfect).

I'm not saying the franchise is without flaws! And I'm normally very picky about my sequels. However I think Saw pulled it off fantastically, I was very pleasantly surprised when I first watched them.

Oddly, I hated Adam when I first watched it, now he has a special place in my heart and soul. Hoffman is just a trash king. To those who have not seen them yet, don't get attached to any of the characters; they're either evil, or they die. Or both.

Like I said I find 3 lazy. Hoffman was such a different Jigsaw, a lot darker abd revenge based as opposed to John who seemed depressed and like he had lost his soul.

Its weird to think of a serial killer that way but that its true and says more about Tobin Bell's performance, abd the writers desire to explore something different than anything else. Its worth noting that Hoffman fits the trope a lot more neatly than John.

John Jigsaw pretty much plays fair, sick and twisted but fair.

Like I said I find 3 lazy. Hoffman was such a different Jigsaw, a lot darker abd revenge based as opposed to John who seemed depressed and like he had lost his soul.

Its weird to think of a serial killer that way but that its true and says more about Tobin Bell's performance, abd the writers desire to explore something different than anything else. Its worth noting that Hoffman fits the trope a lot more neatly than John.

John Jigsaw pretty much plays fair, sick and twisted but fair.

That was why Hoffman was eventually put through his own test. John/Jigsaw specifically mentioned that it could never be personal, and Amanda failed because she wasn't giving people a fair chance. Hoffman was far more emotionally detached than John. He carried on John's work but started breaking the rules when his colleagues started to suspect him, killing people left and right just to make sure no one caught him before he'd finished. In the end, I can't tell if Hoffman was just really sticking to the (rather twisted) rules or if he genuinely just went psycho.

Although they are considered part of the "torture film" genre, seems I can't use the actual term, I think they fit the thriller genre better, people get fixated on the traps and the violence and seemingly ignore the cat and mouse of it all. They are also surprisingly well made considering the insanely fast turn around.

I found it funny last year when Darren Lynn Bousman said something along the lines he couldn't remember which trap went with which film because they were constantly planning the next film.

Edited by john1980

Although they are considered part of the "torture film" genre, seems I can't use the actual term, I think they fit the thriller genre better, people get fixated on the traps and the violence and seemingly ignore the cat and mouse of it all. They are also surprisingly well made considering the insanely fast turn around.

I found it funny last year when Darren Lynn Bousman said something along the lines he couldn't remember which trap went with which film because they were constantly planning the next film.

The cat and mouse is part of the torture in my opinion. Mental torture

But not in the same way that Hostel, or Rob Zombies films are

As I said, it was in my opinion and people differ in how they perceive things. Hostel films were good, but not at the level of Saw films, and I don't rate Roob Zombie films.

As I said, it was in my opinion and people differ in how they perceive things. Hostel films were good, but not at the level of Saw films, and I don't rate Roob Zombie films.

Agreed although Hostel resorted to shock value too easily

That's the second one.

Oddly, that's one of the scenes I don't find particularly disturbing. I have a problem...

I always have that scene etched into my head whenever I think of Saw, think its possibly because of the amount of shots I had on both of my big toes to get rid of ingrowing toenails when I was 16 - 18 that puts me off needles.... He says with two tattoos (and wanting another) :)