Selfies are not new to us :-)

I have an interesting story about this me and my wife went to a convention will I wont name and on the first day only a few guests were charging ( example two guests from a tv show did a get an auto from both.of us and get a selfie with us for free ) but most werent . Then 2nd day suddenly most guests seeemingly had hand written.signs charging upwards of a tenner for selfies . Now this wasnt a convention of the scale of lfcc and this move did cause some grumbles with people there but its just a thing that may happen.on the future but thanks jason for stating your position on this

I went to another con where I saw a sign for "paying selfies".... Not to particular guest, it was post all over.... I found it strange, especially due to the fact that it was pretty much the same price as the photoshoots, anyway I don't see the point of paying for selfies, they are fun but mainly poor quality, I rather have photoshoot for guest that really matters to me, I don't say I never took pics at the table but I mainly ask the wifey to take a good pic with the camera

I went to another con where I saw a sign for "paying selfies".... Not to particular guest, it was post all over.... I found it strange, especially due to the fact that it was pretty much the same price as the photoshoots, anyway I don't see the point of paying for selfies, they are fun but mainly poor quality, I rather have photoshoot for guest that really matters to me, I don't say I never took pics at the table but I mainly ask the wifey to take a good pic with the camera

Exactly, the quality of the table pics aren't as good. However if the guest isn't as busy then I will possibly ask for one just for the memory but If it's an important guest to me I always make sure I get the professional one!

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of paid selfies so i'm really glad it doesn't happen at LFCC. I always prefer professional photos anyway so if theres a guest i want i always get a professional photo and an auto. The only time i might ask for a selfie is when theres a guest that i want two autos for so i have a photo to go with each auto in my folders, such as Dominic Monoghan i'm tempted to get a LOTR and a Lost auto. Thanks Jason for keeping paid selfie out of your events

I usually get words like "Sorry, I'm not allowed to " or "they told me I'm not supposed to" , so to hear its the guests choice is surprising

Sometimes that's down to their agents or managers, who've decided that they want to maximise the revenue from photoshoots rather than allowing their client to do photos for free at the table.

I often get signatures for friends who cannot travel to these events and it can be nice to get a table photograph of the guest, I always ask even if there isn't a sign up out of politeness and always make sure there isn't a large queue behind me so I don't hold things up. From personal experience I have found that it has often been down to guest agents and management rather than the guest themselves when it comes to having photos taken. More than once a guest has stated that their management won't allow a picture to be taken but will bend the rules if no-one is around.

I get table selfies all the time, provided that there's no sign. If there's a sign up, I respect that and don't ask. I think that sometimes they're better than photo shoots. Most of the time, I've had a lovely few seconds talk with the guest and that shows in the selfie afterwards; it's relaxed and in the moment. I'm also very aware of queues, painfully so, which is why my camera is always ready to go :)

• Like 2

Selfies..... the word makes me physically want to throw up haha

Just call them photos at the desk. Most are not "selfies" anyway, they are photos of you and a guest taken by another person. That is not the same as the evil word ;-)

But remember if you dont ask. You dont get!

Even if it is scary asking at times haha

• Like 2

I don't care for photos with the guests but a photo of the guest signing my item is a must. Provenance is everything with autographs, so a photo of the guest signing is a great way to prove you haven't faked it.

I appreciate that a lot of responses to this will be -"yes, but I don't care about proving it to other people, the autograph is for me" - which I get, but for people like myself who enjoy the autograph in their lifetime and will then pass down to the next generation a photo of the guest signing is essential.

• Showmasters Admin

This is good news, thanks for addressing the subject. I sometimes like to get a selfie in addition to a proper photo op just as it's something a bit different and I like the casual nature of it.

A suggestion - I know then when it's busy, a sign saying 'no selfies' will be put up due to time constraints. It would be good if the volunteers actively managed this though, as it seems that once the sign is up, it doesn't come back down. Last year Jessica Henwick had a sign up and she was just sat doodling on her own pictures as she was bored. She'd been busy earlier but things had totally quietened down. I really wanted a selfie with her and I asked very reluctantly due to the sign as I felt cheeky, and she was very happy to do it. She didn't even hesitate to climb on top of the table so we could get a good picture. It was a really nice experience that I almost missed out on due to the sign which didn't actually need to be displayed any more (typing in a rush so I hope this all makes sense).

this can sometimes be just down to the guest not wanting to do photos at the table as they find it to much for them ? some guests this is there first time and the second day it can hit them hard or some get headaches from the flash so it can be that also , just some thoughts , our policy is if there is not big line we are fine for it to happen but the ruling is down to the guest at the end of the day :-)

• Showmasters Admin

I have had to miss out on professional photographs, cos the queue to buy photoshoots and autographs never moved and I was waiting over ten minutes, back then I wouldn't have minded paying small fee for some of the guests who had no posed photography signs.

well now that is not an issue as you can buy photo ops from your phone on the day as long as they have not sold out and we try to make as many available as we can for you al thats why we have 6 photo soots running at the same time now and as long as you buy before the show we can work out what amount of them we can make available to a point at the end of the day there are inky so many you can do in a day so there is not reason to not get one if you buy early :-)

• Like 1

A friend told me that one particular guest who appears at quite a lot of events (he was at last years LFCC I believe) will take selfies with fans despite always having a 'no posed photos' sign up behind him.

i got a table photo with garrett wang last year even though it was literraly at the last 10 minutes of the sunday and he had a no posed photos sign up .. i just think it depends on timing and how the guest feels

DSCN1572.jpg

Edited by teskothemad
  • Like 1

I get table selfies all the time, provided that there's no sign. If there's a sign up, I respect that and don't ask. I think that sometimes they're better than photo shoots. Most of the time, I've had a lovely few seconds talk with the guest and that shows in the selfie afterwards; it's relaxed and in the moment. I'm also very aware of queues, painfully so, which is why my camera is always ready to go :)

Couldn't agree more with what you've said. Table selfies are much better than photoshoots, and like you my phone is always ready :)

teskothemad, he wasn't who I was talking about, but you're right-- all down to the guests themselves sometimes, and I guess given the timing there was really no harm. It's not like there's going to be a mad rush in those last ten minutes!

I'm just thinking now, though; at my first SM event, I ran into Paul McGann. I was only there by chance, so I hadn't prepared to meet any guests and didn't have any money on me anyway, but I suddenly found myself right in front of Paul as he was walking my way and I just decided to go for it and ask if it was okay to take a quick picture with him. He was more than happy to stop and take a photo with me, but he wanted it to be-- and I quote-- "a pouting selfie".

tumblr_n5q90iRLhI1rnkrqpo1_500.jpg

And so it was.

• Like 5