What to get autographed

Last year for me was easy this year not so much!

Some people like Jack Gleeson are easy obviously. But Im struggling with Perlman do I get a poster, a DVD, a collectable. Then do you go for the obvious like Hellboy or SOA or hunt out a Vincent picture?

Is anyone else suffering from choice overload

I always prefer a poster as they are easier for me to display - once they are framed they can go anywhere, but then you do have the problem of when you consider them 'complete' for framing. If you are just going to get the 1 signature on an item, and not get it cast signed it's done! I think collectables are nice if you can display them properly.

I've used the pre order service for Mads and will be sending in a Doctor Strange poster, that way I'm guaranteed to get his auto on my primary item. I also want to try and get him in person and am thinking or either a Funko (but do you get the box signed or the figure? If it's the box, there's not much room for a big signature!) Or alternatively an A3 Hannibal picture/poster, then if any of the other cast members come over I can get them on that.

Traditionally I've had them personalise an 8x10 for me as well but they just live in a folder in a cupboard and don't really see the light of day so I've started to steer away from them for anyone who isn't my most desired guests.

At the end of the day you either go for something generic picture wise, then you don't have to pick between his work, or decide which character/programme/film you prefer and go from there. Or if you can afford it go for different items and then you can get other actors as and when they appear!

It's very difficult, especially when there isn't actually a lot of choice of product.

Edited by Raylenth

Interesting question.

As someone who enjoys action figues/models etc. I cannot fathom why people get those signed. As a collectable it doesn't add any value in my eyes.

Patrick Stewart is one of my all-time favourite actors, but getting him to sign and enterprise model toy? Nick Frost on a Shaun of the Dead t-shirt? I just don't get it at all.

Posters I think can be really neat, so long as you have a few signatures on it, but I am the type to only go for the main names, not the background bit-parters. Also, as something of a poster collector, signatures for the most part de-value original movie posters but I wouldn't want signatures on a worthless reprint poster either! So I rarely get posters signed in the end.

I will always go for an 8x10 photo of the actor in my favourite role/roles. And the odd trading card here and there.

for me I only get the prints sm offer on the day, easy to store away too. my biggest problem is that some some guests like ian mcneice they only had dr who and I wanted a white noise pic signed so ive had to have one made for when we meet in Exeter. a friend of mine got a model signed and when he got home the auto had half rubbed away in his bag so keeping them well packed is a must lol

for ron im going with a diamond pass so for the 2 autos id like to get 1 beauty and the beast and one sons of anachary, and if there is no b and t b it will be 2 sons ones

i tend to go for the 8 x 10 's but if its a guest i love i find a funko pop of them or get a poster or the print you get with a diamond pass signed to me ( like i did with robert eglund last year ) for Ron Perlman i found a hellboy 2 poster on ebay and my wife wants me to get him to sign a picture of him as the beast as well and have purchased a beverly hills cop and the thing poster for the peopel i want to sign .

Edited by teskothemad
  • Like 1

i tend to go for the 8 x 10 's but if its a guest i love i find a funko pop of them or get a poster or the print you get with a diamond pass signed to me ( like i did with robert eglund last year ) for Ron Perlman i found a hellboy 2 poster on ebay and my wife wants me to get him to sign a picture of him as the beast as well and have purchased a beverly hills cop and the thing poster for the peopel i want to sign .

Didn't even think about the con print!

I go for 8x10 photos usually at the event or if it's a wrestler one of the official promo photos of eBay.

I sometimes get more than one photo signed if they have been in more than one show or film I like. Jamie Kennedy for instance has been in both Scream and Ghost Whisperer which I both like.

As someone who is only interested in Game of Thrones guests (with the occasional exception of any legends who may be at the show), this is not really a dilemma as I just get them to sign my poster, with the occasional Funko/photo-shoot picture if I'm feeling particularly rich.

I tend to stick to 10x8"'s as they are easy to store etc how ever the most bizarre thing I've got signed is a can of Spam signed by 4 out of the 5 ( surviving ) members of Monty Python only Eric Idle left to do now :smile: it sits in a case on top of my telly. Its about 6 years out of date and often wondered if its still edible ? lol And no I wont be opening it !

Pretty sure it would be. I remember on the news a few years ago there was a report about an old couple who had found a tin at the back of their cupboard that was about 50 years old. The report said that it would be edible, I think the theory was that the air is removed from inside the tin during tha sealing process, so because there isn't any oxygen in there the microbes can't break the food down. It might not be excellent quality any more but should certainly be edible.

i tend to bring my own 8x12 photos to be signed to ensure i get a tv show/film scene that i want.

I get good feedback and a few stories from the guests when they see them as well :smile:

I'll be getting a few prints signed and a Drago boxing glove for Dolph to sign.

Can I ask anyone who went Diamond last year: will the guests personalise Diamond pass items or is it just dependent on the guest?

As with everything I believe it's as the guest and circumstances allow. If anything the Diamond guests are probably less likely to be doing personalisations as they will be by far the busiest guests there, but it doesn't mean they won't be. The only way to know is to be in the queue and see what they are doing at the time. Even if they are at some point, it can change throughout the day as circumstances dictate.

I usually get an 8 x 10 and a tie in book signed. I've got books for James Bond (Famke and Mads) Game of Thrones, Agents of Shield, and Arrow guests to sign - And Agent Carter if any guests are signed up. Can be quiet heavy tho !!! :crying:

I'll be getting a few prints signed and a Drago boxing glove for Dolph to sign.

Can I ask anyone who went Diamond last year: will the guests personalise Diamond pass items or is it just dependent on the guest?

As with everything I believe it's as the guest and circumstances allow. If anything the Diamond guests are probably less likely to be doing personalisations as they will be by far the busiest guests there, but it doesn't mean they won't be. The only way to know is to be in the queue and see what they are doing at the time. Even if they are at some point, it can change throughout the day as circumstances dictate.

Thanks Raylenth!

When I was at Cardiff comic con last year Carl Weathers was insistent that he personalise the boxing glove so I wondered if this might be the same with Dolph - not sure if anyone has any comments to add on this, especially as to why Carl was adamant that he personalise the glove (otherwise he would not sign it) when I've seen them on sale without personalisations???