Some thoughts about this years LFCC from Jason :-)

i think guests are increidibly subjective ... my wife looovvveesss back to the future ... almost bodering on demented obsession .. last year for her was every birthday and christmas rolled into one wonderful weekend for her ... me i loved the event too .. but this year for her so far she has only two shes coming to see while i have 21 so far .. a lot of it depends on what you like and the programmes and films that you love . i will admit im not a fan of either walking dead or GOT but i wouldnt begrudge anyone a guest from those shows and lets be honest here , GOT seems to have used every english actor there is currently available so it must be easier to get someone who lives in the uk . i honestly cant imagaine what it takes to get some of the bigger guests there .. but i am greatful that they do . just keep the announcements coming and i will weep at the emptiness of my wallet but i am looking forward to this event a lot (wispers ) but if you could get nathan fillion that would be lovely .... i will keep saying it till it happens ( rides off on his horse ) :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Edited by teskothemad

• Moderators

I would say guests like Stan Lee, MJF, Sigourney etc are rarities and shouldn't take away from how great the lineup is this year. It's fantastic if we can get someone on that special level, but there's still a huge amount of rare and big guests attending LFCC. It's not like it's full of the cast of Coronation Street or something.

• Like 4

You can't compare one guest to anotherm MJF is a big guest but comparing him to Sigourney Weaver he is not as big name as she is but still he is big guest. Every guest should be treated separately. MJF was not a person i wanted to meet but he is huge. Just because some people think that he is mostly known from BTTF franchise it doesnt mean he is some random overpriced guest. His condition made him more expensive as he was not able to stand there for a long amount of time. If he could amount of tickets would have been increased and it would make the price lower.

• Like 1

and i will weep at the emptiness of my wallet but i am looking forward to this event a lot (wispers ) but if you could get nathan fillion that would be lovely .... i will keep saying it till it happens ( rides off on his horse ) :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh, yes I'd definitely put him on my comicon bucket list.

Personally, I try never to say anything to or about anyone on the Internet that I wouldn't say to their face. Unfortunately there are lots of people who do become absolute {insert word of choice here} once they have a keyboard to hide behind. They don't have to see the effect they have on the other person so there is no process of empathy. If it's any consolation you're far from the only organiser that has to deal with this.

LFCCs were the first events I went to any for a while pretty much the only ones. I'd be the first to say I used to get grumpy about guests from my favourite shows not being there. But at the end of the day that's not within my control. If I want to meet certain guests, then what's within my control is keeping my eye to the con-verse and travelling to wherever those people make appearances. Pointless getting mad at SM when it's not even completly within their control either. I find that way I actually enjoy LFCC more, since if there's stuff that's not my bag, or there aren't lots of guests from my favourite things, eh, that's on the horizon somewhere anyway. I'm just focused on the good stuff. Like Mads signing my Unit One DVD :D

Having said that, I think it's a valid observation from a few years worth of LFCC that some very popular fandoms are never terribly well represented. I can see why those fans get frustrated, even if I don't necessarily agree with them or the way the show it. Of course there are a ton of possible reasons for this, and maybe there's nothing you can do about it. But I do think it is valid as a point of "room for improvement if possible".

And once again I see this old chestnut appears. I do find it staggering that no matter how many days, months and years pass, some people give off the impression that an event organiser can go into the convention/signing event supermarket and walk those aisles picking the guests as if they were will be available.

I also find it staggering that just because a specific guest has done events in the USA or Europe that they will be instantly chomping at the bit to get to these shores. Or even because some potential guests are seen as having "done events" even though they are contracted promotional events for the TV show or film concerned. I know of several people who do not do fan events like a LFCC or theme specific weekend convention, but do attend promotional ones as it is in their contract.

And, I also find it overwhelmingly shocking that when an announcement does not meet the approval of some potential attendees the vitriolic comments are forthcoming.

Simply put, why can't people simply accept that there will be some guests they want to meet and some they will not. But to openly criticise, especially when it has been pointed out that guests and agents of said guests come onto these forums and others to see the reaction of the annoucnement, is bonkers.

I have not been to an event in London for sometime, with the past few years down to health. But if this vitriolic attitude shown by some carries over to the events themselves then it is not the most appealing picture of the fans, or rather some of them, who attend. And then people wonder why some events don't run as smoothly as planned when people act the way they do.

There is a solution. A very simple one. But I fear if I put it I will be shouted at, berated and mocked.

• Like 1

People are greedy. Personally i am going there to enjoy myself and see people i like. I am more than sure that SM are doing what they can to bring guests that are the best. Not all gonna be happy but honestly too much moaning. Of course that we would like to have this or that person but please... don't like it don't comment and don't come.

Last year i had 7 photoshoots this year 12 and counting. So it is not that bad. Enjoy what you have

People are greedy. Personally i am going there to enjoy myself and see people i like. I am more than sure that SM are doing what they can to bring guests that are the best. Not all gonna be happy but honestly too much moaning. Of course that we would like to have this or that person but please... don't like it don't comment and don't come.

Last year i had 7 photoshoots this year 12 and counting. So it is not that bad. Enjoy what you have

There are many things I could say about those who comment negatively, but then I become one of them. So, I simply choose to enjoy and when I attend any event - Showmasters or not - I ghost in and ghost out. I have grown tired of worrying about others than do not worry about me. I come with some close personal friends. We do our thing and go home. I now believe in a form of silent support. Spend the money. Thank the guests. Be polite to staff/volunteers. Promote the events online through Facebook and Twitter, and sometimes word of mouth when I meet someone in my hometown who knows nothing about these events.

I remember a while ago somone suggesting that, for popular guests, instead of having hype threads, SM just announce the guests and have a delay before tickets go on sale. I think that's a good idea that seems to work elsewhere, and might help quell some of the negative feedback. It won't get rid of it, but it might reduce it if people aren't so amped up with ridiculous expectations when the guests are announced.

• Like 2

I remember a while ago somone suggesting that, for popular guests, instead of having hype threads, SM just announce the guests and have a delay before tickets go on sale. I think that's a good idea that seems to work elsewhere, and might help quell some of the negative feedback. It won't get rid of it, but it might reduce it if people aren't so amped up with ridiculous expectations when the guests are announced.

I think the guest announcement followed by a date for when tickets go on sale (end of the month perhaps to encompass pay day for most people) will allow funds to be secured for purchases. This means those who want to get them can and those who do not will not have the need to "negatively respond" after the hype.

Edited by 13th Precinct Comics

I think the guest announcement followed by a date for when tickets go on sale (end of the month perhaps to encompass pay day for most people) will allow funds to be secured for purchases. This means those who want to get them can and those who do not will not have the need to "negatively respond" after the hype.
I don't see how waiting to put the tickets on sale will stop the negativity?
  • Like 1

Because when people wait a week to find out who the guest announcement is, only to find they have never heard of them, then that's where they start dropping comments about it being an anti-climax etc.

If you just post a guest out of nowhere whilst still giving a heads up when tickets go on sale, then only the people interested in the guest will be commenting. Compare last night's announcement to the likes of Mads etc. (which didn't come with a 'Big announcement in 5 days' type fanfare) and you'll see.

• Like 2

Because when people wait a week to find out who the guest announcement is, only to find they have never heard of them, then that's where they start dropping comments about it being an anti-climax etc.

If you just post a guest out of nowhere whilst still giving a heads up when tickets go on sale, then only the people interested in the guest will be commenting. Compare last night's announcement to the likes of Mads etc. (which didn't come with a 'Big announcement in 5 days' type fanfare) and you'll see.

Explained it much better than me.

Just announce guests without hype. If it's a popular guest have a few days delay on ticket sales so everyone has a chance to see the announcement.

I agree with the "without hype" thing. So far there is only 1 guest I'm interested in meeting (ok, I'll rephrase that to be closer to the truth: there are many guests I like but there is so far only one guest that I'm wanting to meet badly enough to spend money on getting an autograph) therefore so far I'm pretty much attending just cause I'm cosplaying and because of everything else other than guests.

And that's fine, I'm ok with that.

What made me write a "I'm dissapointed" comment was mainly the fact that having been announced a day in advance and with a "great guest announcement" hype line I (like many, I believe) was expecting one of those guest that might even make the event sell out. When it didn't match what I was expecting, I was dissapointed, but just because this guest is still not one I would like to meet and I was hoping he/she would.

I was in no way meaning the guest sucks or anything like that and if it sounded like that then I apologize cause it was not what I meant :)

However I also felt a bit attacked when other people starting saying people that don't like the guest should shut up and that we should stop moaning. Maybe it was not directed to me but to others that had complained more but I think that we should be entitled to our opinions and just as you like hearing whenever we love a guest and are excited about him/her, we should also be allowed to voice our opinion if we felt dissapointed, after all, we are all paying to attend.

I do understand and agree we should keep it polite though cause guests come here, but I highly doubt an actor/actress is going to be affected by a stranger saying he/she is dissapointed or doesn't like the guests announced so far or thinks last year's lineup was better, cause that is subjective. And especially since most people are saying nice things and seem to be really excited and meeting a lot of guests :)

My relationship with Showmasters and the LFCC 2016 so far is a love/hate one cause even tho I'd like to meet more than one guest, I really couldn't afford it, so in that sense I am really thankful and happy with just the one, lol :)

Using this forum as an example - although I have seen it on many other forums - when a guest is super hyped up and tickets go on sale that night, those who have their debit/credit cards at the ready and suddenly find it is a guest they have no interest in then there is a trend of people saying negative things like over hyped etc.

However, if a guest was announced at 7pm on a Friday saying that tickets for photoshoots go on sale a week later or on the 1st of the month, then it both gives people who want to get tickets to arrange funds and those who do not want them simply say "not for me etc" but not at the levels of negativity of those who have made sure they are ready to buy tickets and then find it is not a guest for them. You basically remove alot of the frustration from those who have made special arrangements to be ready to buy when they go on sale.

• Like 1

I think people are getting more used to the hype although it doesn't help sometime. In terms of moaning etc this is a consumer business and I think we are entitled to feed back. It's then the organisers choice to act upon it if they are able.

There is a difference between "feedback" and those comments that are vitriolic

However I also felt a bit attacked when other people starting saying people that don't like the guest should shut up and that we should stop moaning. Maybe it was not directed to me but to others that had complained more but I think that we should be entitled to our opinions and just as you like hearing whenever we love a guest and are excited about him/her, we should also be allowed to voice our opinion if we felt dissapointed, after all, we are all paying to attend.

Unfortunately this comes down to two groups of people who say they are different but are infact very similar.

There are those who are very vocal when they do not like a particular guest and this has spawned a mirror image group of people who say "if you don't like it then don't comment". And anyone caught inbetween get caught in the flack.

If people on both sides of the coin thought before posting then the vitriolic comments would be minimised.

• Like 1

no, no. I get that bit. I didn't say that I don't understand about not doing the build up (I disagree with you, as I'm not someone who gets upset when it's not a guest I don't want and I actually enjoy the guessing). What I meant was, I don't see how, after the guest has been announced, then waiting until the end of the month to put the tickets on sale would help with the negativity, which was what was said before me. Even if this was just to allow you time to get the money together, most (if not all) tickets are still available at the end of the month anyway, so what;s the point in waiting?

Edited by Wrong Name

Using this forum as an example - although I have seen it on many other forums - when a guest is super hyped up and tickets go on sale that night, those who have their debit/credit cards at the ready and suddenly find it is a guest they have no interest in then there is a trend of people saying negative things like over hyped etc.

However, if a guest was announced at 7pm on a Friday saying that tickets for photoshoots go on sale a week later or on the 1st of the month, then it both gives people who want to get tickets to arrange funds and those who do not want them simply say "not for me etc" but not at the levels of negativity of those who have made sure they are ready to buy tickets and then find it is not a guest for them. You basically remove alot of the frustration from those who have made special arrangements to be ready to buy when they go on sale.

I disagree. If you do the build up (which I happen to enjoy) I think those people who feel the need to complain will do it whether the tickets go on sale straight away or not. I've not once seen anyone complain that the tickets are already on sale!

Edited by Wrong Name

What they are saying Wrong Name is that it's as a result of the build up - people get themselves super hyped and ready for the announcement and the build up and clues adds to it all. Some people may think/hope it's their most wanted person and when the announcement is made and it's not who they thought or matches their level of expectation they react.

If the announcement was just made without any build up people wouldn't be over hyped with their own expectations unfulfilled and won't react negatively. Delaying sales would mean that people don't miss out if they haven't been on the sites for a few days and not seeing the announcement and then feeling like they had missed out on tickets.

I'm like you, I like the build up and guessing and am not bothered if it's not someone I want but I can see both sides of the debate.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

no, no. I get that bit. I didn't say that I don't understand about not doing the build up (I disagree with you, as I'm not someone who gets upset when it's not a guest I don't want and I actually enjoy the guessing). What I meant was, I don't see how, after the guest has been announced, then waiting until the end of the month to put the tickets on sale would help with the negativity, which was what was said before me. Even if this was just to allow you time to get the money together, most (if not all) tickets are still available at the end of the month anyway, so what;s the point in waiting?

Right, let me try and explain what I am saying.

Current system:

1. Hype the forthcoming announcement and put tickets on sale when the announcement is made.

2. Some people happy.

3. Some people not happy.

4. A portion of the not happy people have a good moan.

5. A portion of the happy people have a good moan at the people having a good moan because they do not like the guest announcement.

6. Threads like this appear.

Tweaked system proposed:

1. Post the announcement giving a date when the tickets go on sale - the use of the beginning of the month was used as an example to encompass when most people in the UK are paid (end of the month)

2. Those who are disappointed make comments.

3, Those who like it make comments.

4. The likelihood of the levels of frustration recently shown could well be greatly minimised as no one has had to make special arrangements to be ready to buy tickets when the announcement is made.

5. A period of time later, days or even a week or two, those who want tickets can buy them.

6. A potentially more happy forum

So, you may well be one who does not get upset when a guest is announced you do not care for but there are many who do. So, if the potential cause of frustration can be removed or minimised then it can be a good thing.

As regards the wait to put tickets on sale, I have seen it on here and other forums, where people have made special arrangements to be ready to buy tickets following an announcement only to find the guest is not one for them. So, if you say a guest is going to be announced but the tickets will go on sale some days later, then you remove the frustration caused when arrangements have been made for some people to feel let down by the announcement.

It is all about making the frustration go away

• Like 3