Cosplay is going to be an even bigger aspect of LFCC in 2016

For a Guideline on what can and can't be brought into the event please see below.

Cosplay Guidelines

Please note that these are only Guidelines and we cannot approve any items until we see them at the convention.

Costumes - Size and Construction

Costumes should be no more than 3ft (90cm) wide and 6ft 5" (192cm) tall, in other words you should fit through a door! If you are taller than this then your costume should be no taller than you! Hats may be worn that make you taller than 6ft 5", but you must be able to remove them easily.

Costumes that feature things like expanding wings can be made larger than 3ft wide, to a maximum of 5ft (150cm) but may only be used as part of the Masquerade.

Costumes must not be constructed with sharp edges or hard (metal, wood etc) spiky or pointy bits. For example, metal armour is allowed but must have properly finished and turned edges.

Think! If your costume could hurt someone if they fell or bumped into you, don't make it!!

Weapons and Props - General

Upon arrival at a Showmasters Event all weapons and props MUST be checked by security and Cosplay Staff, where they will be checked for safety and compliance to the rules.

If your weapon or prop is not approved it will either be held by staff until end of event or asked to take home.

In some cases weapons will be approved for use in the 'Masquerade' but not for Floor costume use. Such Items will held in the Cosplay Zone.

We trust you to act responsibly with your cosplay props BUT if you (or anyone else) is found to be acting inappropriately with them they will be confiscated for the remainder of the convention.

In ALL cases weapons should be kept sheathed, holstered or stowed while walking around a Showmasters Event, only being drawn for photo's and the like.

Weapons and Props - Size and Construction

Size
Normal weapons or props may be up to 5ft (150cm) long.

Oversized Weapons and props -may- be permitted up to 3ft (90cm) wide and 6ft5" (192cm) tall depending on construction. They must be light and safe, recommended construction materials are Foam, Foam board or Cardboard. If we can pick it up in one hand, without straining, then that's good.

Floor Costume Construction
Replica, projectile, deactivated or real weapons are not allowed under any circumstances, this means no Airsoft, BB or Paintball guns no metal Katanas, Kunai etc. Even if you tie red electrical tape around the barrel!

Martial Arts training weapons such as Bokken, Shinai or Bo are similarly banned.

Toy weapons bought in UK shops and conforming to British standards (Smyths, Toys'R Us, Costume shops etc) are fine to use. As are unrealistic model weapons as long as they conform to the construction guidelines.

All other Props and Weapons should be constructed from lightweight materials and have no sharp edges, spikes or points. Do not use Metal, solid wood, solid plastic, plaster etc. Good construction materials are Cardboard, Foamboard, Foam, Polystyrene, Balsa wood and hollow Plastic.

Event floor and Masquerade Competition
Only real weapons, metal replica weapon or items restricted from sale in the UK are banned outright. All weapons and props for use in cosplay events are at the venues and Showmasters discretion. If you wish to use a weapon or prop during these events please bring them to ops to be approved.

Most items will be allowed for use during these events but any weapon or prop that is banned for floor cosplay use will either be held by staff until end of event or asked to take home.

If you are found floor cosplaying with a Weapon or Prop that has not been approved for floor cosplay that item will be confiscated.

Outside of the Event

Lastly, Remember to keep everything, especialy replica weapons well-wrapped and out of site whenever you are not at a Showmasters event. You are responsible for transporting props and weapons so be safe and have fun!

• Like 1

Hello!

first time cosplaying this year so as a newbie,be kind!

Just a quick question to any experts/cosplayers/generally lovely helpful people....

Part of my costume is a 'training' knife (winter soldier..)...it's solid rubber,including the 'blade' and the post above says not to use solid wood or plastic,so just wondering if this would be okay or not?

As i mentioned it is solid,but it is also rubber and the whole thing is definitely squishy/bendy!

No probs if not,just worth a check!

Cheers in advance,

Laura :)

Hello!

first time cosplaying this year so as a newbie,be kind!

Just a quick question to any experts/cosplayers/generally lovely helpful people....

Part of my costume is a 'training' knife (winter soldier..)...it's solid rubber,including the 'blade' and the post above says not to use solid wood or plastic,so just wondering if this would be okay or not?

As i mentioned it is solid,but it is also rubber and the whole thing is definitely squishy/bendy!

No probs if not,just worth a check!

Cheers in advance,

Laura :)

I'll be also carrying a rubber training knife so really hope it is ok lol (looks amazing and love how it feels!) Mind you I wasn't planning on taking it out of the sheath anyway, but yeah hope it is fine :)

Thanks for all the info guys, really useful. Shame that I will have to make a second Lucille but the rules do make sense. But hey, there's nothing wrong with having two of them anyway, off to amazon I go

I was about to say, as long as it's bendy I don't see an issue. Bendy isn't solid.

The Scientist in me really wants to question this assertion.

I failed my chemistry class pretty spectacular and just about made it through physics. 139 episodes of MacGyver do only go that far. :P

• Like 1

Hey, I'm a little new to the Cosplay scene. What are the rules on weapon props? I'm aiming to have my iron man suit complete for the Saturday but if that's not complete in time I'm thinking of showing up as Negan from the walking dead, is Lucille allowed to join me? She's made from a wooden baseball bat wrapped with a leather imitation barbed wire , really hope so as "SHE IS AWESOME"

These are the rules for the cosplay competition which also apply for the con. http://www.darkcleopro.com/cosplayterms.html

I would say that a wooden baseball bat would definitely not be allowed as there is a chance it could injure someone. I have seen other people cosplaying as Negan who have used a soft foam bat and have painted it to look like wood that works really well.

They have foam baseball bats in pound land at the moment if you need a cheap replacement.

Hi, I'm new the whole convention thing, just wondering does anybody know any good sites I can buy a costume from, I'm not afraid to say I'm a large man, so would need to be tailored, but I really want to Coldplay either the 10th or 12th Doctor

Hi, I'm new the whole convention thing, just wondering does anybody know any good sites I can buy a costume from, I'm not afraid to say I'm a large man, so would need to be tailored, but I really want to Coldplay either the 10th or 12th Doctor

Hey there,

'Escapade' in Camden is pretty good for both variety and sizing,definitely worth a look :)

http://www.escapade.co.uk/

I was just wondering, what are the prop rules regarding nerf guns? Are they allowed if the foam darts are left at home, or are they not allowed at all? I apologise if this has already been asked.

Thanks.

www.darkcleopro.com/cosplayterms.html

6. should cover nerf guns. These are the competition rules, but unless I am reading it wrong it is not allowed in the masquerade. As far as I understand it that means floor use is a no too.

Looks smashing!

I'm a little stuck with a cutting and sewing point in my costume. :(

What is it you are struggling with? I'm not a seamstress, but there might be some advice I can offer. :smile:

So I tried to write a response to this with an image attachment but the picture wouldn't work and then I lost the message I'd typed...

Since I can't attach a picture for reference, google Amanda Young in the first Saw film. Note the purple shirt she's wearing has detached sleeves-- I have a purple shirt like that, except I need to cut off the sleeves. I'm not at all experienced with cutting and/or sewing clothes. I need to make sure the shirt and the sleeves aren't frayed.