Making my own 10x8 photos

Hi guys, can anyone advise on how to get gloss or matte finish photos. I got images i would like, but not availible to buy, so i wanted to make my own photos, can anyone recommend a website or proper photo paper for inkjet printers ?

Hi guys, can anyone advise on how to get gloss or matte finish photos. I got images i would like, but not availible to buy, so i wanted to make my own photos, can anyone recommend a website or proper photo paper for inkjet printers ?

You can get single prints done to most sizes at numerous retail outlets that do not focus on photography as a main industry. Many superstores such as Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury have machines to print off photos. Boots the Chemist also do this in the majority of their high street and shopping centre premises. It is also very cheap. My local Asda printed 8x10 photos out for me and it was less than a pound sterling per photo. They came out exactly as a normal photo would do and like the ones supplied by Showmasters and other fan event organisers. I created my photos and saved them as a JPEG which seems to be the prefered format of the machines used. Some branches of Tesco Stores also do canvas prints (more expensive but worth it) of various sizes.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Chappie

Edited by CHAPPiE13

You can get single prints done to most sizes at numerous retail outlets that do not focus on photography as a main industry. Many superstores such as Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury have machines to print off photos. Boots the Chemist also do this in the majority of their high street and shopping centre premises. It is also very cheap. My local Asda printed 8x10 photos out for me and it was less than a pound sterling per photo. They came out exactly as a normal photo would do and like the ones supplied by Showmasters and other fan event organisers. I created my photos and saved them as a JPEG which seems to be the prefered format of the machines used. Some branches of Tesco Stores also do canvas prints (more expensive but worth it) of various sizes.Thank you for all your help, but just one question, did you have any problems of copyright ? I know some places like asda won't even enlarge my photoshoot photos

I hope this helps you

Regards

Chappie

Lots of sites do it--Snapfish, Photobox, ArtsCow to name a few. I'd suggest checking some of these out and comparing prices!

There are also (usually) people at LFCC itself who sell photos, but I can understand not wanting to leave it until the day!

Edited by Icena

Photobox.co.uk!

Thank you, you have been the best help on here

Chappie's answer was also quite useful and informative! :king:

Thank you for those kind words.

I found using a place like Tesco etc was better as it was in person and you can check the quality before you pay for it. As long as the JPEG is clear then the photo should be perfect.

Regards

CHAPPiE

I've done mine at Boots once and it was relatively easy.

I am tempted to start a multi signature piece but on a canvas. Tesco Stores prices are not too high to make it worth it

Regards

CHAPPiE

One way around the copywrite issue might be to print in person at a machine that dispenses directly to you if you can, that way the staff aren't involved and don't see what you are printing. I can only suggest the only one I've used - Shoes! as Time Corridor said.

Obviously if you are doing a larger size of canvas that won't be possible but for the 8x10 and smaller it should be fine.

Thank you for all your help guys, i have tried photobox and i'm very happy with their service, the quality of the photos from them are excellent. If anyone else needs prints, i would recommend photobox

any printer shop will have the glossy papers. let me know what pics you need I can print it out for you know bring it with me when I come down to London

any printer shop will have the glossy papers. let me know what pics you need I can print it out for you know bring it with me when I come down to London

Not speaking on behalf of the original poster but if you read the posts above Lita has sorted the pictures out. It's very kind of you to offer Aftab but I think most people would want to have the picture sorted well before the actual event so if it doesn't come out OK they have time to sort it. Certainly with the poster I want printed, I have to leave it long enough to make sure a picture of sufficient quality is published but I'll sort alternatives out well in advance.

As my learned friend Chappie has given you really useful information there is one or two things that have been missed out.

Firstly your not the only one who prints their own photos I have to do it all the time as I can not buy them for love nor money lol

Secondly be VERY careful about how and who you get them printed with or by as there may be a issue with Copywrite. Just because a image can be found on the internet doesn't mean they are copywrite free and some places can refuse to print them as I have experienced this. How ever there are ways around this for example a well known Fishy site who prints photos have NEVER challenged me regarding copywrite issues where as Shoes the Chemist has ! And refused to sell them to me even though they had printed them ! If you don't need them till July you have plenty of time to get the Fishy site to print and send them to you ( if you do do google their discount codes as they have just finished a 50% off site wide yesterday which means 10x8" where only 50p ! plus postage lol I of course took full advantage of this and now currently waiting on about 20 or so 10x8" from them by using the code plus postage costs it was still cheaper than a lot of other places )

If like me sometimes your in a rush use a instant print machine they do very good quality prints bit more costly but they would be in hand rather than waiting a few days for the post.

Thirdly make sure the images resolution is as high as it can be ! Size does not mean a high resolution its all about Dots Per Sq Inch the higher this is the better ! If you don't know what I am talking about Google it this would be easier than me trying to explain it lol If you have a image that's say 72 DPI ( that's dots per inch ) if you where to print that out at 10x8" it would badly pixelate and would look sh*te. If you have a image with a low DPI run it through reverse google and see if it will find a higher DPI one which it normally does :) I wouldn't recommend printing anything less than 300 DPI as a 10x8" unless the image is really big ! For example if you have a image that's say 20X16" but with a relative low DPI this WILL print fine as your printing it smaller than the real size if that makes sense ? If you do use the fishy site it will tell you if the resolution is to low unlike other places that may not.

And finally if your going to get your 10x8" photos signed I would advise you VERY STRONGLY NEVER USE YOUR HOME PRINTER TO PRINT THEM sorry for shouting but currently there are NO archive safe printers for the home market at the time of writing. In other words your photo WILL fade with time unlike a " shop " printed photo. Yes there is a difference but I wont sit here explaining it it would take to long lol But trust me I Know what am I talking about lol

If your left confused etc let me know and I will explain it more clearly for you :)

Any way good luck :)

Agree with everything said, but also there are some home printers that currently print prestine 10x8's and A4 full colour, latest Kodak verite printer!