Bag searches what are they looking for?

Both recent comicons at Newcastle arena I noted lots of people having their bags searched. Started to wonder what they were being searched for considering the ones in front of me contained replica weapons, a baseball bat, bandoleer of grenades and several swords and were allowed in no problem.

Any advance on what bags are being searched for would be useful

• Like 1

This happened to me at Cardiff... people in front were carrying guns and dressed up were just let in. I got stopped by the guy on the door who went through my bag and patted by jacket. I wasn't sure what he was looking for either. :no: Must admit found it amusing. Plus they really need to brush up their searching skills.. the search was hardly worth the effort.

I doubt the exact list of what the venue security is checking for will be published to be honest. It would only help people to conceal items that are not allowed in. No one of Showmasters can really comment on this because this is something entirely run by venue staff. Maybe TooTall can give one or two items, he would be the one normally called if there's an issue. But that's pretty much it.

The baseball bat should normally have been a problematic item, unless it was a replica. If a real one went through I admit I am surprised.

Three years ago I had Disneyland security called on me at their bag check. The reason for that being I had four different colored Sharpies with me. The very amused head of security told me they had problems with younger visitors leaving Sharpie "graffitis" on buildings. As I had no children with me me and my Sharpies were allowed in without hassle. :lol:

Any advance on what bags are being searched for would be useful

This would defeat the whole purpose of such security checks. These type of checks are becoming common place at events whether you have a gathering of people in a facility. Music concerts, gigs, night clubs, sports stadiums and the list grows each day. Whilst there are people out there who want to create chaos, death and devistation, then security checks are needed. As the saying goes, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.

Chaos, death and devastation are much easier to happen when you let people in with guns,swords,bandoleers of grenades etc as witnessed above. Even more so when you can buy more swords and knifes on site. The thrust of the post is that security is not limiting destructive potentiall by these methods. As such this type of security would not have any effect on stopping a nutter with one of the above weapons not to mention a few fully functioning crossbows and longbows also seen at the events

If you dont need to hide a sword, gun or crossbow etc it doesnt leave much to hide. Not yet been to a gig, nightclub, or sports stadium that allows guns or swords though, despite living in Newcastle. Only allowed to wander freely around comicon with them so far.

Knowing the catering arrangements in Newcastle security could of course be attempting to stem the availabilty of heathy/tasty/inexpensive food options. Without these smuggled items a small mortgage may be needed in order to secure a hot dog on site:-)

• Like 2

There are rules what items cosplayers can take in. The "weapons" you saw being taken in were props, and even for those props there are rules. The props you saw taken in obviously were compliant to these rules - orange tip for guns etc., no sharp tips for arrows are two I am familiar with.

There have been cosplayers stopped of taking in certain props before, and I am sure his will happen again. If someone shows up with an unloaded airsoft weapon for example - some people tried - yes, there is a problem and they will be refused.

Edited by Queen_Sindel