Picture yourself on the Bridge of the Enterprise

• Moderators

We currently have standard photo session booked with William Shatner on the Saturday. We are considering upgrading to William Shatner Classic Enterprise Bridge Photo Session.

If we do can we still stand next to Bill or will he likely be in the Captain's chair with us standing elsewhere on the bidge? Does the photographer tell you where you have to stand or can you ask to stand with Bill?

I don't know if a spot has been determined yet. But the previous bridge photos always had a designated spot where you were standing/sitting. I only got to do the group shot in Frankfurt and there you were sitting down in the Captain's Chair.

The last time this shoot happened, Bill was sat in the chair with you stood next to him, I will try and post a pic.

image_zpscmt1ubfv.jpeg

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me if the bridge photoshoots are wheelchair accessible before I prebook?

Right now this can't be 100 percent confirmed, sorry. I was promised that they'll "do their best" and this issue is definitely on the radar.

I realize this probably won't help you much.

Can anyone tell me if the bridge photoshoots are wheelchair accessible before I prebook?

Right now this can't be 100 percent confirmed, sorry. I was promised that they'll "do their best" and this issue is definitely on the radar.

Not having a go at you here Queen_Sindel, but "do their best" doesn't really cut it these days. If something is going to be available for the general public to buy, it needs to be available to all irrespective of whether they have a disability or not - else it could be seen as a form of discrimination.

If it's not possible, or modifications can't be made as appropriate, it shouldn't be available full stop.

Not having a go at you here Queen_Sindel, but "do their best" doesn't really cut it these days. If something is going to be available for the general public to buy, it needs to be available to all irrespective of whether they have a disability or not - else it could be seen as a form of discrimination.

If it's not possible, or modifications can't be made as appropriate, it shouldn't be available full stop.

The office is not setting up the Bridge - I imagine they need to confirm with the set up crew in the first place.

As this question is already over a week old we felt that at least a notice with a tempory reply showing that bandcat wasn't being ignored was appropriate. Nowadays we get a "OMG we're being ignored!" any time after 24 hours, so a week seemed definitely pushing it.

• Like 1

The office is not setting up the Bridge - I imagine they need to confirm with the set up crew in the first place.

As this question is already over a week old we felt that at least a notice with a tempory reply showing that bandcat wasn't being ignored was appropriate. Nowadays we get a "OMG we're being ignored!" any time after 24 hours, so a week seemed definitely pushing it.

The information should be known to the office beforehand in advance of tickets going on sale. Otherwise, is this the first time this particular set has ever been used? or has no one with additional access requirements ever booked a photo shoot on it before (which I would find hard to believe)? Or was the office banking on potential that noone with access needs would book a ticket at all?

This information should be shared between different crews, accessibility as an issue has been around a lot longer than one week - consider the disability discrimination act (1995) and equality acts (2010) have been around far longer.

Accessibility should be considered equally, not as an afterthought.

The information should be known to the office beforehand in advance of tickets going on sale. Otherwise, is this the first time this particular set has ever been used? or has no one with additional access requirements ever booked a photo shoot on it before (which I would find hard to believe)? Or was the office banking on potential that noone with access needs would book a ticket at all?

This information should be shared between different crews, accessibility as an issue has been around a lot longer than one week - consider the disability discrimination act (1995) and equality acts (2010) have been around far longer.

Accessibility should be considered equally, not as an afterthought.

I think any rational person would be more than willing to accept not absolutely everything can be made completely universally accessible.

However I would expect guidance to be provided at the same time something is made available for those who have no such additional requirements to consider. Even something as simple as "Please note for wheelchair users or those with severe walking difficulties the centre of the set is not easily accessible. However there is a ramp/raised platform/grab rails "here". We will do all we can to adjust to your individual requirements as appropriate on the day or if you can email us in advance. If necessary we will find a secondary location on the set for you to have your photo taken, though this may obviously differ from the main shot as advertised."

Just a thought, only trying to help.

Sorry, but I have no idea if the set was ever used before at a show. I don't work at the office and I am not involved with booking anything.

There is a disability section in the event FAQ on the website, asking people to e-mail in with specific concerns: http://destinationstartrek.com/visiting/faqs#faq23 I know a couple of people have already done so to make arrangements.

Of course asking on the forum is also an option. Bandcat was asking because she wasn't sure. Just like you stated in your last post, not everything can be made universally accessible. But really, so far everyone asked if they thought they possibly have a problem. So I always thought the guideline is a pretty rational "if you are not sure, ask"? So far our visitors seemed to be happy with that. The more writing the less chance that anyone reads the full thing - see several LFACC schedules and you will see what I mean.

I will be happy to forward your comments. But I definitely don't feel comfortable to keep this discussion going. I am not even in the UK and while I imagine the UK laws are similar I am not going to open that can of worms. If you wish to discuss this further I strongly suggest you e-mail the office through the enquiries address for this event.

Sorry, but I have no idea if the set was ever used before at a show. I don't work at the office and I am not involved with booking anything.

There is a disability section in the event FAQ on the website, asking people to e-mail in with specific concerns: http://destinationstartrek.com/visiting/faqs#faq23 I know a couple of people have already done so to make arrangements.

Of course asking on the forum is also an option. Bandcat was asking because she wasn't sure. Just like you stated in your last post, not everything can be made universally accessible. But really, so far everyone asked if they thought they possibly have a problem. So I always thought the guideline is a pretty rational "if you are not sure, ask"? So far our visitors seemed to be happy with that. The more writing the less chance that anyone reads the full thing - see several LFACC schedules and you will see what I mean.

I will be happy to forward your comments. But I definitely don't feel comfortable to keep this discussion going. I am not even in the UK and while I imagine the UK laws are similar I am not going to open that can of worms. If you wish to discuss this further I strongly suggest you e-mail the office through the enquiries address for this event.

Yes I have seen the FAQ section and whilst it rightly says you should get in contact if you have specific requirements unique to you (I.e. No-one else) then to get in touch.

Bandcat was asking what is actually a fairly standard and generic question, "is it wheelchair accessible" - given there are approximately one million wheelchair users in the UK alone that's a large number of people it relates to. I apologise if quoting law seems a tad over the top here, but certainly in the UK event organisers have to be aware of things like the DDA and the responsibilities it imposes on them to preplan their events to be as accessible to as many as reasonably possible.

Please do forward my comments and I would be happy to help/discuss further as appropriate. However as I'm sure you can appreciate, all it would take is for one person to feel that they've been discriminated against if they were to say buy a ticket and later find out suitable information was not provided beforehand or reasonable adjustments planned for in advance if needed, that can of worms for the organisers could become somewhat larger. (Especially considering the size of an organisation such as SM and the number of events they put on throughout the year, I'd be amazed if they don't have a process in place to check for issues such as this??)

Edited by robmoriarty

As a wheelchair users myself (full-time) I can appreciate this query about photoshoot access - see my post above. My experience in 2014 was that the TNG set was level access, and that it was possible to transfer from your chair to the Captain's. However, the very structure of Kirk's and Kruge's chair - as we've seen them - suggests doing this is unlikely to be an option, and should be recognised,since to make changes to them would defeat their object as replicas - equality legislation notwithstanding,this would not be a 'reasonable adjustment'. That said,I don't think it is unreasonable for SM / Eventbrite to make it clear whether or not accessing the shoot and / or sitting in the chairs involves negotiating a step(s) in the website information - then it is up to an individual to choose to book on that basis - knowing they may have to adapt their experience. To just say nothing -and add another hurdle / delay to the ability to book something that involves queuing- is is arguably generating disadvantage. What would it need to clarify if any / none of the shoots are step-free?

robmoriarty - I have forwarded this to the Office again. As I already posted, neither me nor another mod can answer what you are going on about.

SM have always tried to keep any steps for disabled attendees to get assistance to a minimum. So far we had no complaints about the procedures in place, which has always been a contact address to discuss how the attendees can be best assisted at the Show. Yet you act like there is no procedure in place, which is simply not true. You seem to feel that this is not enough, but so far the attendees directly involved seem to be okay with this system.

I apologize if I am getting the wrong Impression. But to me this feels like you are trying to get me to post something which can be used as base to go after SM legally, and this is the point where I will stop. I've already written more than I probably should.

• Like 1

robmoriarty - I have forwarded this to the Office again. As I already posted, neither me nor another mod can answer what you are going on about.

SM have always tried to keep any steps for disabled attendees to get assistance to a minimum. So far we had no complaints about the procedures in place, which has always been a contact address to discuss how the attendees can be best assisted at the Show. Yet you act like there is no procedure in place, which is simply not true. You seem to feel that this is not enough, but so far the attendees directly involved seem to be okay with this system.

I apologize if I am getting the wrong Impression. But to me this feels like you are trying to get me to post something which can be used as base to go after SM legally, and this is the point where I will stop. I've already written more than I probably should.

Absolutely not Queen_Sindel. I'm simply trying to point out that doing things this way actually creates more work for the office, not less, if any person with any access requirements has to proactively state their requirements in advance. Stating up front that any set has either level/step free access, ramps where appropriate or grab rails would deal with 80% of any queries, leaving more time to deal with specific requirements of those who go above and beyond those needs. That is all.

I have no intention of going after SM legally, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit last time and fully intend to again. The difference I think you are missing here is the definition of "specific needs". "Standard needs" are for wheelchair access, "specific needs" would be someone like me having a chair twice the size of any other out there on the market with giant caterpillar tracks and a turning circle the size of a roundabout. I as an individual disabled person would know my needs are wholly greater than most other wheelchair users which is where I would then contact the office as recommended by the FAQ guidance.

• Showmasters Admin

All photo shoots including bridge shoots will be as disabled friendly as we can make them. Which means that we aim to accommodate everyone and will do our best to do so.

Obviously some people may require more help than others and we will do everything we can to ensure if you want a photo on the bridge then you can get one, if that takes a bit more time for some people then that's fine.

However, should someone purchase a bridge shoot and ultimately be unable to use it due to it not being accessible for them we will clearly make a refund in that situation.

As always at any of our events if you need a bit more help, whether for the Bridge shoot or anything, please speak to one of the crew on the day so we can help you. The worst thing for us is to never know and only hear about problems after when there is nothing we can do!

• Like 2

All photo shoots including bridge shoots will be as disabled friendly as we can make them. Which means that we aim to accommodate everyone and will do our best to do so.

Obviously some people may require more help than others and we will do everything we can to ensure if you want a photo on the bridge then you can get one, if that takes a bit more time for some people then that's fine.

However, should someone purchase a bridge shoot and ultimately be unable to use it due to it not being accessible for them we will clearly make a refund in that situation.

As always at any of our events if you need a bit more help, whether for the Bridge shoot or anything, please speak to one of the crew on the day so we can help you. The worst thing for us is to never know and only hear about problems after when there is nothing we can do!

Thanks for this Too Tall. If this information was on the bridge photo shoot page on the day the photos were put up for people to purchase, that would be more than sufficient for most - that was all I was trying to get across.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Johnathan Frakes bridge photoshoot but before I do, does anyone know if Johnathan will be sitting in the First Officer's chair and I'll be in the Captain's Chair? How does it work?

Cheers

We currently don't have Information about the exact set up, sorry. Usually both the guest Location and the attendee Location stays the same. So personally I expect the set up you are describing because it makes the most sense.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. I was just making sure Johnathan wouldn't be standing on the top level of the bridge and attendee on the lower deck! It wouldn't be much of a photo 'together' would it now?!!

Yeah that won't happen. If both standing you'd of course stand next to each other.

• 1 month later...

Hey, couldn't see the answer, so forgive me if its been mentioned: but will this work the same as regular Showmasters photo ops, that if multiple ticket holders have their photo taken together, say 3, then 3 photos will be taken and a print of each will be given out?

Hey, couldn't see the answer, so forgive me if its been mentioned: but will this work the same as regular Showmasters photo ops, that if multiple ticket holders have their photo taken together, say 3, then 3 photos will be taken and a print of each will be given out?

Yes. But remember, each Person in the photo Needs a ticket.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought a ticket for this back in August when no times were given. I am travelling up from the New Forest and won't arrive until 10:37 a.m. Initially there was only a photoshoot before that time - I now see there is another photoshoot later in the afternoon. Will I be assigned to the afternoon shoot when I finally get to the NEC??

Sorry - should have said - this is for William Shatner on the Enterprise Bridge.

Edited by Cybermystic

I bought a ticket for this back in August when no times were given. I am travelling up from the New Forest and won't arrive until 10:37 a.m. Initially there was only a photoshoot before that time - I now see there is another photoshoot later in the afternoon. Will I be assigned to the afternoon shoot when I finally get to the NEC??

Sorry - should have said - this is for William Shatner on the Enterprise Bridge.

What is your Batch number? It is possible you'd be in the afternoon set anyway. Your time Slot is determined by your Batch number. But you can go any time after your Batch was called, so even if you'd be in the morning Slot going in the afternoon is not a Problem.