Guest Cancellation - Sam Neill

Yeah Simon Pegg first came to LFCC con in 2004 around the time of Shaun of The Dead.

Unfortunate about Sam Neil. I think the bigger and more active the guest is the more likely they'll be pulled away to work. Shooting schedule's change all the time in the film industry whether its script re-writes, re-casting, re-shoots, accidents, legalities and red-tape etc. When the guests agrees to do the con I assume its on the condition that they're not called back to work on filming...but I don't know what's the stop them from taking on more work that they haven't already been offered. And then there's jobs that were originally unconfirmed (but penciled-in) all this time but are then suddenly confirmed just before the con.

Laura Dern will have finished filming Star Wars Ep. VIII by July I reckon. Its been filming since Feb I think but then she might well be moving on to another job soon after...the same can be said for any actor really.

Edited by nicky

Never say never about Simon Pegg , Nick Frost was the same about not charging at event, but since then he has done cons....

Also Simon Pegg was in fact at one of the first lfcc, did he went for "free" , while I praise him for not charging, things have change, he might not like it , but could you imagine the craziness if he attended without charging....

As a fan boy himself, he well knows many fans would love to meet him, and wouldn't mind paying to do so, I know I wouldn't....

So let's make everyone happy, Simon Pegg attending .... For a very low diamond ticket price :-)

Never say never about Simon Pegg , Nick Frost was the same about not charging at event, but since then he has done cons....

Also Simon Pegg was in fact at one of the first lfcc, did he went for "free" , while I praise him for not charging, things have change, he might not like it , but could you imagine the craziness if he attended without charging....

As a fan boy himself, he well knows many fans would love to meet him, and wouldn't mind paying to do so, I know I wouldn't....

So let's make everyone happy, Simon Pegg attending .... For a very low diamond ticket price :-)

If he's so against it, he could donate the money to charity :thumbup:

• Like 1

If he's so against it, he could donate the money to charity :thumbup:

Would love to see Simon announced so I can add his signature to Nick Frosts on my Shaun of the Dead photo!

• Like 1

I think one for the purposes that charging for autos serves is that it filters out people who are genuine fans and thus helps to keep the queues somewhat manageable by having less people than if it were a free for all.

Case in point, at CM once, Neil Marshall signed for free and people queued up not knowing who he even was and thus built a big queue up for nothing.

• Like 1

Re: Simon Pegg's appearance at LFCC in 2004...

It's true that he didn't want to charge for his autograph (he said this publicly on the day). However, it wasn't possible to get his signature without paying, as he set up a deal where you went to his queue and bought a ticket for the talk he was doing later that day with Nick Frost. And once you'd bought that ticket, you were invited to step forward and meet Simon. His autograph, it was said, was free - an add-on to the talk ticket.

It was a cunning bit of reframing, but no one minded as the package was an excellent deal (I don't recall the exact price but it was either £10 or £15).

I've no idea what Simon thinks about charging now, or whether he'd be up for doing something similar again, albeit for a higher price. But that's how he played it back then.

• Like 1

There's always a way to do it if both parties really want to. Instead of having him free to stop a free for all and massive queues, you can always have a fee charged as normal but part of it goes to cover the cost of admin, advertising, 8x10's and security for the guest and an additional part of the fee going to a designated charity. That was SM costs are covered and a good cause benefits.

I know it's easier said than done though.

There's always a way to do it if both parties really want to. Instead of having him free to stop a free for all and massive queues, you can always have a fee charged as normal but part of it goes to cover the cost of admin, advertising, 8x10's and security for the guest and an additional part of the fee going to a designated charity. That was SM costs are covered and a good cause benefits.

I know it's easier said than done though.

Well let's see if we can get hold of Simon. Many people want him to attend again. He has a massive following theses days thanks to some great movies. Whether it's Shaun of the Dead or Star Trek, great guest to have.

He does official Star Trek events. Perhaps he will do the official UK event

I've no idea what Simon thinks about charging now, or whether he'd be up for doing something similar again, albeit for a higher price. But that's how he played it back then.

• Like 1