What did you think of Film & Comic Con Newcastle 2016?

BasG

This show was my third in Newcastle. I always travel by train from Glasgow (an early rise) and I arrived in Newcastle around 8:40 on the Saturday. I was at the venue at 8:50. The queue seemed shorter than in previous years and I was inside the arena at 9:10. I met four guests this time: Ricco Ross, Vernon Wells, David Stone and Devon Murray and they were all very friendly and allowed me to have their photo taken with them at the table. In previous years I had met more guests although in all fairness, people like Clare Higgins and Paul Freeman are great guests as well but I had met them before at previous SM events. Also a few guests I was interested in (e.g. the GoT guests) only appeared on the Sunday and I was only able to travel to Newcastle on the Saturday. I had picked up all my autographs by 9:30. Especially the Star Wars guests seemed very quiet, I hope business picked up a bit later in the day.

My ‘main guest’ was Vernon Wells, whom I thought was great, talkative and funny and he added long quotes to his autographs. Luckily for me his Q&A was already at 10:45 (unfortunately for me his photo shoot was after 16:00 which was too late for me as I had an advance train ticket for 14:40) and I struggled to pass the time between 9:30 and 10:45 as the majority of the stalls did not appeal to me at all although I realise this is a matter of personal taste. The things I am interested in are lobby cards, vintage movie photos, soundtrack CDs and DVDs and there weren’t too many of those around. So at around 11:15 I left the venue. Was it worth the £32 train ticket (and asking my wife to give me lift to the train station at 5:15 on a Saturday morning)? I guess meeting Mr Wells made it all worthwhile but if he had cancelled for whatever reason this would have been a very disappointing con for me.

One more thing, cosplay seems to be really big at this particular show, even more so than at the Glasgow show I think. It is not really my thing but many of the constumes looked great and well done to all cosplayers for creating that special con atmosphere! :thumbup:

So how was this edition of the Newcastle show for you?

I was mainly coming for Clare Higgins, so I waited until the schedule was released before I booked my train from Glasgow. When I saw she wasn't going to be doing her shoot till nearly 5 I booked my train to arrive for 12.

Got cheap entry. It was pretty busy when I got there, queue was round the side. Got in pretty quick. Probably the cheap entry that brought people to the show.

Grabed an auto from Ricco Ross and then walked around the stalls, nothing really took my fancy. Watched nearly all the talks to pass time. Grabed some overpriced food. Then just waited about really. There wasn't any guests I wanted to meet other then Clare and Ricco.

This was my second Newcastle Con. I was happy to pay to meet Clare after she cancelled last time and I couldn't afford to go to

London in Feb. So I am glad I managed to finally meet her. i wouldn't have went if she had not of been there. And I didn't book my train tickets until the last minute in case she had to cancel again 🤓