No Longer Attending

I was going to go to this show tomorrow but have just decided not to bother.

I was going to go for an auto from:

Rico Ross, Daniel Kash, and the recently announced, Ralph Brown, Jay Benedict and Holly De Jong.

(can you guess I am an Aliens fan?)

...but you know what, after a bit of back and forth, I have felt, and stated as much on the forums, that Showmasters are spreading it all a bit too thinly. I think there are too many shows, too close to eachother, all over the country. It really annoys me as a fan that certain guests will be booked at several shows for reasons of logistics.

Rico Ross will be at the Bournemouth and Newcastle shows that are a week apart. Michael Biehn is now in Belfast and Manchester a week apart. Paying for one return trip and squeezing two shows out of them makes business sense to me so far as I don't think about how much certain guests would be more appropriate at other shows. Yes I know guests are always subject to work commitments etc. but why when we had Sigourney Weaver in London last year, why was Michael Biehn in Sheffield a month later? Think of the joint photo shoots, the proper Aliens reunion that could have been done. Not to mention Jeanette Goldstein and Mark Rolston who were at other more obscure shows last Winter who would have been epic and done even better business surrounded by bigger Aliens guests, and Aliens fans who travel the world over for the bigger shows.

I will pay what I think are too expensive tickets for the likes of Destination Trek, because the guest line-ups are always strong, I will stretch to pay for Diamond Passes for the Sigourney Weaver's of the world, because it may well be once-in-a-lifetime, but I for one can't afford the time or the money to support what I personally think are poor shows with mediocre line-ups. LFCC Spring was dead, and it was embarrassing. I have little reason to think this show won't be very similar.

All these smaller numerous shows Showmasters have rolled out the last 18 months have all the hallmarks of the now defunct shows like Collectormania Midlands and the GMEX, which I would say had far better line-ups on average and those shows got canned.

I am sure the guests I had planned to meet above are all nice people (have met Ralph before) but to me it is not worth 6 hours driving, and petrol money, and entry fees to basically get in and out. Those guests will not be busy, I've seen all the same stalls before. I can't see me being there any longer than an hour or so.

I'm not grand-standing or trying to be dramatic, I need to stand behind my criticisms otherwise what's the point in even voicing my thoughts? I would just like to see fewer, stronger shows. It is my feedback that I would like to give, and despite my fears this thread will get locked, or disappear, I think a forum is a great means of gathering opinion. If anyone agrees I would be curious to hear, and if anyone disagrees then that is fine too.

• Like 3

Hmm, I must admit I like the amount of shows that SM have on offer.. Compered to other shows they are the Cheapest around and the best. I would like to see MK returned and Autographica too.

You must remember that trying to get guests is a nightmare for SM, If they tried to get the crew of a series for one show then the odds that they all attend would not be great. Remember guests can pull out anytime for what ever reason.

The small shows are good, I was gutted that I could not make Bournemouth today, due to been ill since wednesday, So I have lost out on an Entry ticket and four photo shoots. :no: I must admit I look forward to the SM Shows.

Remember you don't have to attend all the shows, If the guests are not to your liking then save your money for the next show.

Hope you liked my Feedback too. :whistling:

Remember Be Happy and enjoy... Come Summer Time we all be rushing around like Headless Camels wishing for the smaller shows. :smile:

As you've said, it depends when guests are available as to whether or not they can attend. Surely with that in mind, having more shows means there will be more chance of the guests people want coming to shows? Ok, it might not always work out that way, but just remember that what might be a guest you want to meet could be someone else must have.

The smaller shows are ideal for the people who can't afford to travel to or attend the bigger shows (I'm saving up for 8 months prior to LFCC in July due to knowing how much it will cost me) but still fancy a couple of hours meeting guests and looking at merchandise.

Whilst I can understand your point about the calibre of guests - living in Cardiff, sometimes the line-up hasn't exactly set my world alight, and I didn't attend last weekend - for some people it's not always about the guests. Get your cosplay on, get out with your friends/family and have a good day. I can imagine that there are people who go along with no intention of meeting any guests.

Besides, if you aren't keen on a guest line-up, just don't attend - simples!

Closing this one now as this is just yet another variation of the "I don't like the guest list" topics, and everything that can be said has been correctly said in here and every time before as well.

Guest lists are totally subjective. Sometimes it is worth for one personally, sometimes it is not. I'm sorry for everyone who doesn't like it, but you will have a chance at another show.

It's also been stated a number of times what SM consider the flagship shows. Comparing other shows to Summer LFACC will never work out in favor of the other show because LFACC Summer is considered the number one flagship show at the moment.

• Like 1