Help! Costume Assistance!

Hi all

I've treated my husband to 3 day tickets for our anniversary this year as he is a massive fan but I have nevery been to anything like this before. I know he will want to dress up and I'm stuck for ideas. I've looked online but the general outfits are either quite cheap and don't look great or really expensive! Does anyone have any ideas or websites I can try? TIA

Not sure what you class as affordable and I won't comment on their inclusion of a Star Wars costume in a Star Trek search but http://www.fancydress.com/costumes/ It won't let me link directly to the page but just search for Star Trek

Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Star+Trek+costumes

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

Hi

Yes, having re read my message it wasn't very clear! Yes I'm looking for ideas or places to go to find affordable costumes and was wondering what other people are doing. Thank you for your reply :)

A lot of people seem to use cosplaysky with great results. I'm slightly wary of them as I've just ordered a custom size next Gen top and it came a standard size and they aren't replying to my emails. Just remember if you do use a company based abroad if it's over £50 you'll prob get a fee from customs as well.

• Like 1

here you go -

uk.hellocosplay.com

cosplayhouse.com (they do a few star trek cosplay costumes)

cosplaysky.co.uk

They do normal standard sizes as well as custom sizes too.

Edited by Namine
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I want a star trek alien costume but am struggling to find anything apart from Spock, or the occasional Klingon costume. Any ideas?

Well you could just buy a uniform and some green skin dye and go as an Orion who's in Starfleet......

Or if you want it more risqué a Leia style costome, some green dye and go as an Orion slave......

Edited by Raylenth

I can't answer about what stalls will be at the event but with regard to the costume I think that the issue for the lack of mass produced stuff is that most aliens in Star Trek are specific to the episode and aren't recognisable enough for anyone to make commercially, and of the races that do appear frequently maybe the makers don't see enough of a market for them? In my experience going from the comments I've seen from people over the years is that if you want a costume that isn't mass produced like the Star trek uniforms you have to make it yourself or go for one that you can easily adapt from clothing you can purchase. There are a few blogs out there which help on making your own and patterns.

To narrow it down if people can give advise do you have an idea of a type of alien you want to go as or if you prefer a particular series? Apart from not using body paint is there anything else that you don't want to do or would consider possible, would you be able to do/have the means of making prosthetics? There are guides on how to do Trill markings and you might be able to just use makeup for those rather than skin dyes though I'd think they wouldn't be quick to do.

A Bajoran in a Starfleet uniform would just require the ear ring piece and the nose ridges to complete.......

Edited by Raylenth

Paper mache maybe. Not sure how it would look but get a thin hair band (coloured to match the wig) and some chicken wire, shape the wire and attach to the hair band (making sure the wire is covered or not touching your scalp) and cover in the mache and paint to the right colour?

I am thinking of redoing the 11th doctor cosplay for Destination Star Trek considering there is a comic with TNG crew and Doctor Who/11th doctor lol...so I don't think the case is, what costumes/cosplay can I do, since it could be limited (which was what I thought).

Well clay didn't work but if anyone else is thinking of andorian but having problems with antenna I have found and eBay seller that does some that would look gd with the costume

Look up insect/ fairy cosplay. I know there not exact but antenna would fit through holes in wig

• 4 months later...

Hi

Yes, having re read my message it wasn't very clear! Yes I'm looking for ideas or places to go to find affordable costumes and was wondering what other people are doing. Thank you for your reply :)

A lot of people seem to use cosplaysky with great results. I'm slightly wary of them as I've just ordered a custom size next Gen top and it came a standard size and they aren't replying to my emails. Just remember if you do use a company based abroad if it's over £50 you'll prob get a fee from customs as well.

i have just ordered a pair of trek trousers from them to go with the tng/nemisis jacket i bought from amazon ( which looks like its from them anyway)

how long do they take to send the items out to you, i.e. did you wait long for it

Hi

i have just ordered a pair of trek trousers from them to go with the tng/nemisis jacket i bought from amazon ( which looks like its from them anyway)

how long do they take to send the items out to you, i.e. did you wait long for it

• Like 1

Sorry for some reason my reply didn't post just the quote of previous post lol.

I waited 2 weeks for the cosplaysky stuff to arrive into the uk then customs phoned me to ask for payment of tax, I asked why the charge and was asked how much I paid, when I said £30 they said oh there's no charge then. Took another week for it to be processed from customs holding to me in Lincs. For some stupid reason cosplaysky often puts "samples" instead of uniform on the customs form so they take longer to get through customs. If you don't hear anything within 14 days I'd follow up with cosplaysky and ask them to track it.

• 1 month later...

With only a few days to go now I was wondering how everyone that's making a costume or alien makeup are getting on?

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Andorian wig and antenna and testing the blue makeup.

I'm visiting my barber tomorrow so he can trim the wig. Thank goodness he's a fan too!

I'm also bringing a Tribble cosplaying as an Andorian too as when I attended DST 2014 as Data with Spot the soft toy ginger cat it went down very well with other fans.