Latest Guest Announcement - MATTHEW LILLARD

showmasters

Okay guys, here comes another broken record again.

No one has to like all guest announcements. But PLEASE: if you don't like a guest announcement that does not mean by default that the announcement is *insert string of more or less serious profanities and other insulting comments here*.

Posts like that will always be hidden. We have guests coming on here. A lot of the comments that we have had to hide all over the forum lately have serious potential to put guests off from attending a show. It may not even be the guest you are posting negatively about - a completely different guest you actually like could read this and think "hey, if they treat her/him that way, why should I bother?"

So please stop these posts. It's not only in here, but as this is the latest scene I am posting here again. It's in the forum rules even that we are asking guest announcements to be kept friendly. This is especially valid for a couple of people who have been doing this repeatedly in the last months and are ignoring all of our edits and comments. I have even tried e-Mailing People, only to find half of the e-mails bouncing and being ignored by the other half.

• Like 6

I have no issue at all with the guest. It would be crazy for anyone to expect every announcement to appeal to them. My only gripe was SM making a pre-annoucement a whole week in advance. It led me, and I'm sure many others, to believe we'd be seeing a much bigger name.

• Like 1

I have no issue at all with the guest. It would be crazy for anyone to expect every announcement to appeal to them. My only gripe was SM making a pre-annoucement a whole week in advance. It led me, and I'm sure many others, to believe we'd be seeing a much bigger name.

And that's why your post is still there. It would be crazy to expect every announcement to appeal to everyone. Unfortunately your post triggered a whole slew of comments which have in turn been hidden.

Those pre-announcement posts are always very subjective, and so are the "bigger names." There's several fandoms who get really excited about a guest who's barely known if you are not a fan of the genre, or even the specific TV show. But any pre-announcement guest will be a big thing for some on here.

And that's why your post is still there. It would be crazy to expect every announcement to appeal to everyone. Unfortunately your post triggered a whole slew of comments which have in turn been hidden.

Those pre-announcement posts are always very subjective, and so are the "bigger names." There's several fandoms who get really excited about a guest who's barely known if you are not a fan of the genre, or even the specific TV show. But any pre-announcement guest will be a big thing for some on here.

I'm going to attempt to respond to this in a constructive and polite manner to avoid getting hidden whilst, making what I consider to be valid points.

The response, and subsequent course of action, is exactly why I questioned the point of the 'Exciting Guest announcement on XXX' thread when it was posted the week before this announcement.

I think unless you are about to announce a game-changing guest (I'm talking the likes of Stan Lee, MJF etc), then there is genuinely no point in doing a thread a week before about announcing them - and to be honest, even then I think it would be a a bit unnecessary. When you build up people's expectations for a full week before then announce someone not of that calibur, then you have to expect disappointed remarks. With this example, Matthew is clearly a popular guest with a decent resume, but giving a full 7 days before announcing him ultimately resulted in a bit of an anti-climax.

To offer forward some valid evidence, look at the Judge Reinhold topic. That announcement came absolutely out of the blue, and everyone who is interested in meeting him will give go in there and post positive comments, and those not so interested will just pass over the topic.

I hate to hijack this thread, but this is in direct response to the quoted post (as someone who had a post hidden myself). Please SM, don't bother with anymore unncessary build-up, just post when you can announce a guest and avoid the let-downs for those of us less interested in guests.

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

I'm going to attempt to respond to this in a constructive and polite manner to avoid getting hidden whilst, making what I consider to be valid points.

The response, and subsequent course of action, is exactly why I questioned the point of the 'Exciting Guest announcement on XXX' thread when it was posted the week before this announcement.

I think unless you are about to announce a game-changing guest (I'm talking the likes of Stan Lee, MJF etc), then there is genuinely no point in doing a thread a week before about announcing them - and to be honest, even then I think it would be a a bit unnecessary. When you build up people's expectations for a full week before then announce someone not of that calibur, then you have to expect disappointed remarks. With this example, Matthew is clearly a popular guest with a decent resume, but giving a full 7 days before announcing him ultimately resulted in a bit of an anti-climax.

To offer forward some valid evidence, look at the Judge Reinhold topic. That announcement came absolutely out of the blue, and everyone who is interested in meeting him will give go in there and post positive comments, and those not so interested will just pass over the topic.

I hate to hijack this thread, but this is in direct response to the quoted post (as someone who had a post hidden myself). Please SM, don't bother with anymore unncessary build-up, just post when you can announce a guest and avoid the let-downs for those of us less interested in guests.

We accept this as constructive criticism, but this is how our company directors and marketing department have chosen to make some announcements. It's your opinion that this is wrong, but that doesn't make it wrong for our company.

• Like 4

Just weighing in, I can see both sides of the argument. From my perspective however, I like getting notifications that a bigger/different than usual guests is to be announced As I'm often traveling home at 7pm it means I can ask my sister to check who it is and get me a ticket if it's someone I really want. Also I'd hate to have not logged in for a few days and not known that the 1 guest I desperately wanted to meet had been announced and I missed it and they were sold out on the diamond passes.

I know it's unlikely that a guest would usually sell out that quickly and I could usually buy when I got home, but 1) you can't if you don't know anyone has been announced and don't see for a few days and 2) my top 2, Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, I think would potentially sell out quite quickly if they were announced on a diamond ticket. I think I'd be annoyed if SM didn't warn us in a case like that. As unlikely as it is. I do realise that if either were announced they would be considered ones who would deserve a build up.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 3

Wow!!! There really are some Buzz Killingtons on here.

I love the build ups. I enjoy the guessing and the chat and it's handy to know I won't miss anyone. Am I going to book to meet every guest? No. But I still acknowledge how awesome it must be for certain people. If you think about your dream guests I bet they aren't all A List and wouldn't interest others but that's the beauty of these shows. Diversity.

What people need to realise is that by coming on here and moaning that Showmasters haven't been through your dvd collection to check exactly who you require to be there, that you are ruining the experience and excitement of others. Don't like the guest, move on. Don't like the build up, don't follow the forums. I actually enjoy its as it's gets me excited and even if a guest isn't for me I know one will come along soon that will.

Just chill out peeps. No one is forcing you to attend.

Anyway. Awesome you have Matthew. At an awesome price to. I'm off to watch Dead Man's Curve to celebrate.

Edited by martinthewookie
  • Like 11

Plus for all the people who were disappointed with Matthew's announcement, SM usually writes "Huge" or "BIG" guest announcement plus is writing it's a diamond pass or what. With Matthew it was "Exciting". Since it is his first thing so I suppose for horror fans it is exciting announcement. And Exciting doesn't have to be someone like Stan Lee or Robert Downey jr

• Like 3

Wow!!! There really are some Buzz Killingtons on here.

I love the build ups. I enjoy the guessing and the chat and it's handy to know I won't miss anyone. Am I going to book to meet every guest? No. But I still acknowledge how awesome it must be for certain people. If you think about your dream guests I bet they aren't all A List and wouldn't interest others but that's the beauty of these shows. Diversity.

Two words: Jett Lucas.

I do quite like some of the guest build-ups and it is fun to tune in at a certain date/time to see who it is. And I don't get gutted if they are not my cup of tea because I'm quite happy to save money! But I do agree with some posters than making a guessing game out of some guests inevitably leads to an anti-climax. The best example I can think of is that I don't think Jett Lucas was a 'dream guest' for anyone, and after Showmasters built up his announcement, A LOT of people complained. No offence to the guy, but he is no MJFox or Sigourney Weaver: guests who, IMO, warranted real fanfare behind their announcements.

It would be like Showmasters saying this years' summer LFCC was going to be the biggest ever and the headline guests were the cast of Eastenders. Then people complain at the complainers who would rightly point out that those types of actors are not big guests. Well some people are simply NOT big guests, no matter how much you may adore them.

Its not about individual taste, but common sense. Or simply how impressive and extensive the actor's filmography is.

PS. none of the above is in response to Matthew Lillard. Not a guest for me, even though I enjoyed him a great deal in Scream. But an interesting and nice new American guest that will be a rare meet. I would like to see more people like him attend.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 1

This is awesome! I got Neve Campbells auto on a ghostface mask last year, Matthew Lillards auto needs to join it.... Now we just need Skeet Ulrich and Rose McGowen :)

I did the exact same and im so happy to be able to get Matthew too! :)

• Like 1