Autograph process

Basically, just go to the signing area and get in the queue for the guest you want and wait.

If it is a popular guest then you will need to collect a VQ ticket (Virtual Queue) from the person in the blue "Crew" top (normally stood around that guests signing area) This ticket will have a number on it. There are normally boards which display what numbers are able to queue for an autograph and they go in batches ie. 1-100 or 101 - 150 etc etc. When your number falls into the batch being called then you can go and queue up for an autograph. Hope that makes sense?.... :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

Just to clarify the batches are 1-50, then 1-100 and so on. They alway start at 1 so you can never miss your turn. Even if we are calling 1 to 400 and you're ticket 23, you haven't missed your turn.

Most guests will personalise if asked. The best idea is to have a post-it note with your name on it.

• Showmasters Admin

I realise this might be a bit of an impossible question to answer, but any rough idea on what to expect for queing time on the less popular guests that don't have VQ tickets?

If there's no one else there, straight away.

If there's 15 people that want to talk about the meaning of life, forever.

It's usually about 2 to 10 minutes.

Remember to check the wall directly behind the guest as sometimes there may be a sign up stating that there are no personalisations. If this sign is up don't ask for one. There are a variety of reasons that the sign may be in place so please bear this in mind if someone you want isn't personalising. Also this can change throughout the day, a guest may start off personalising but that may change later so it is possible people who go through before you may get one but it has stopped by the time you get to the front. It's not frequent but it can happen so be aware.

If a guest has a no photo sign up at the desk, in my opinion people shouldn't ask them for a photo irrespective of whether they are busy or not. Some guests get migraines from the flashes so don't want to deal with photo's outside of the photo shoots. Asking someone with the sign up puts the guest in an awkward position in my opinion. If they don't have it up then it's fine to ask for one but if it is up then they shouldn't be asked.

But that's just me.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

Exactly what Raylenth said. If there is a sign up please don't ask.

How do you think the guests will feel when they're being asked 100 times and still have to say "no" again although the sign is up? If they feel uncomfortable because such simple requests are not respected they might not be back.

Last year JDF had a no photo's sign up. Every single fan was still asking and he did it, but I could see he wasn't too happy about it. He didn't want to be the one to say no to his fans. He then asked the crew member to remind people not to ask.

So please don't ask. They probably won't be happy doing it even if they do say yes!

It's also not nice for you if they say no. You don't want to ruin your experience with a guest. Because of the above I thought JDF came across as moody, but it really wasn't his fault.

Autographs can still purchased via Credit Card (Vouchers at the Show) or just Cash?

Yes, you purchase vouchers at the sales table.

Last year JDF had a no photo's sign up. Every single fan was still asking and he did it, but I could see he wasn't too happy about it. He didn't want to be the one to say no to his fans. He then asked the crew member to remind people not to ask.

So please don't ask. They probably won't be happy doing it even if they do say yes!

It's also not nice for you if they say no. You don't want to ruin your experience with a guest. Because of the above I thought JDF came across as moody, but it really wasn't his fault.

Thank you so much for refreshing my memory. I did remember this happened, but I was so blanking on the guest's name.

Exactly what Raylenth said. If there is a sign up please don't ask.

How do you think the guests will feel when they're being asked 100 times and still have to say "no" again although the sign is up? If they feel uncomfortable because such simple requests are not respected they might not be back.

Couldn't agree with both of you more! If there's a no photos sign there's normally good reason. Common courtesy says you should respect that

Hopefully things will be smoother this year and JDF will have a better time.

Actually, I think JDF had an issue with his security/entourage. They were telling him to hurry up and not take photos at the desk but he wanted to. I got to his desk at the right time as one of his guys was walking away and he offered me a selfie at the table without me asking.

• Like 1

From what I can understand this whole no posed photo thing is partly due to flashes going off, with my iphone on selfie mode there is absolutely no way possible a flash will go off.

In my whole time doing these events I think I've only ever had a handful of photoshoots and personally, this is in MY opinion a cost I'd rather not pay for, please let me explain.

When I take a selfie I know how I like the picture to be, I find a picture at the table to be a much more special memento and ALL the table pics I've ever had I look back on with fond memories, (I of course only apply this to guests who are FREE or not at all busy) one particular great memory happened with a Indiana Jones actor a few years ago. Was wonderful.

Also, I have an issue with one of my eyes and it looks off into a different direction, this is GREATLY noticeable in the photoshoots I've had and personally? I'd like to look my best in pictures. One particular photoshoot I had with an actress in 2010 wasn't that good at all compared to the table pic I had with her, to be honest I'm trying to think of a photoshoot I've had where I've been 100% happy with it - I just feel really awkward in them, and find it to be uncomfortable hence why (whenever possible) I opt to either get a selfie (knowing full well there is no way the flash will go off) or in the case where its BIG guest and the possibility of a selfie is impossible then I begrudgingly pay for a photoshoot IF I want a picture with someone enough.

But yep, IF I didn't have this issue with my eye or I felt that a pic at the table was MUCH more informal then I would probably feel a tad different,. but this is where I stand on this all

There's nothing at all wrong with that Richard, and yeah the phones make it a bit easier with regards to the flash. I just wanted to point out to the earlier poster why sometimes the signs are up but gave the easiest reason. If the guest is willing to take them over the desk then people should go for it if they want.

• Like 1

There's nothing at all wrong with that Richard, and yeah the phones make it a bit easier with regards to the flash. I just wanted to point out to the earlier poster why sometimes the signs are up but gave the easiest reason. If the guest is willing to take them over the desk then people should go for it if they want.

Which I totally appreciate :) There used to be a time I'd go to cons with a thonking great EOS and they do have a habit (unless the setting is changed) for the flash to pop up or go off, exactly, if the guest is fine with it then no problemo.

A lil bit of an anecdote to kinda back up what I said in my last post, practically the whole Galaxy's media was at the prem for Star Wars last year and cos I had my Yoda mask with me one of the outlets wanted to interview me, the lady who was shooting with the high tech camera kept getting frustrated and on at least three different occasions had to ask me to look in a different direction or slightly move my head (cos of the awryness of my eye) so I know its not only me who notices this imperfection but yep :)

Hopefully things will be smoother this year and JDF will have a better time.

Actually, I think JDF had an issue with his security/entourage. They were telling him to hurry up and not take photos at the desk but he wanted to. I got to his desk at the right time as one of his guys was walking away and he offered me a selfie at the table without me asking.

Yeah he asked me himself too, I didn't, as I saw the sign, but he offered it, so I went with it.

• Like 1