Frequently Asked Questions

Do you know what the set photo shoot is that's included in some of the upgrades - can it be any of the ones that have just gone on sale with guests (I know it will be without guest) but just wondered

No, we don't know which one it is yet. It will be an assigned one without guests. Last time I asked this was left to be determined because the office was still working on what sets there would be.

I've told some friends at work about DST and now 2 of them want to come with me (We only live an hour away), I was wondering if have all three of us in a bridge photo would we need one ticket or three tickets? Or can we still have three different photos with all three of us for the price of 3? How about on different bridges? Do we we need three tickets or nine?

Question, for cosplay costumes, do we have to dress up as Star Trek characters, or can we do something different - i.e. like how Karl Urban was in Dredd or TJ Hooker or Bakula from Quantum Leap?

Question, for cosplay costumes, do we have to dress up as Star Trek characters, or can we do something different - i.e. like how Karl Urban was in Dredd or TJ Hooker or Bakula from Quantum Leap?

You can dress in whatever costume you like, but I would imagine that any CosPlay contests may be limited to theme specific costumes

Also, everyone at the convention could claim to be in a Bakula Quantum Leap cosplay

You can dress in whatever costume you like, but I would imagine that any CosPlay contests may be limited to theme specific costumes

Also, everyone at the convention could claim to be in a Bakula Quantum Leap cosplay

Ok, I was just wondering as I would like to bust out my 11th doctor cosplay again seeing as how there is the comic crossover between Doctor Who and Star Trek: TNG.

For anyone who has been before!!

Hi guys just a quick question. I have never been to a DST before and am very excited to be going this year. I have only booked 1 day the Sat and just wondered from experience how many photo shoots would be a safe number to book. I went LFCC last year and missed a photoshoot because it was so busy i couldn't get there in time. I have never been to the venue ether so any info would massively help

Any help would be awesome

Thanks.

For anyone who has been before!!

Hi guys just a quick question. I have never been to a DST before and am very excited to be going this year. I have only booked 1 day the Sat and just wondered from experience how many photo shoots would be a safe number to book. I went LFCC last year and missed a photoshoot because it was so busy i couldn't get there in time. I have never been to the venue ether so any info would massively help

Any help would be awesome

Thanks.

What's the number we are looking at? ;)

It will be busy, but I do not think it will be as busy as LFACC.

Also, are you only wanting to do photos or autographs/talks too? That helps better with estimating.

• 4 weeks later...

Could you give me some information on how things work with mobility scooters at the event? Due to a degenerating spinal condition I now find myself needing to use a mobility scooter for large events, I have my own so thats not a problem and I am aware the NEC is fully accessible, however, I have never attended a convention with a scooter before and am used to queuing up for talks then being seated in rows with my son who comes with me on a first come first served basis, can you advise me how it would work with the scooter? I can actually get off it and walk short distances but I cannot stand for any protracted length of time without being in severe pain. What would I need to do queue up on the scooter or park it up and leave it someplace close by? Is that allowed? If I need to leave the scooter outside the talk area then would my son be allowed to queue for me whilst I wait on the scooter for our turn? If I can take the scooter inside would my son be able to come in with me to sit somewhere close by or would we be split up?

Also trying to work out the costs for this weekend and never having been to a convention with paid for guest talks could someone give me a very rough idea of how much these talks usually cost?

Is it possible to prebook a disabled parking space at the NEC or do I just book a regular ticket and hope theres a disabled space available when I arrive?

Many thanks.

Edited by Snow1

Could you give me some information on how things work with mobility scooters at the event? Due to a degenerating spinal condition I now find myself needing to use a mobility scooter for large events, I have my own so thats not a problem and I am aware the NEC is fully accessible, however, I have never attended a convention with a scooter before and am used to queuing up for talks then being seated in rows with my son who comes with me on a first come first served basis, can you advise me how it would work with the scooter? I can actually get off it and walk short distances but I cannot stand for any protracted length of time without being in severe pain. What would I need to do queue up on the scooter or park it up and leave it someplace close by? Is that allowed? If I need to leave the scooter outside the talk area then would my son be allowed to queue for me whilst I wait on the scooter for our turn? If I can take the scooter inside would my son be able to come in with me to sit somewhere close by or would we be split up?

Also trying to work out the costs for this weekend and never having been to a convention with paid for guest talks could someone give me a very rough idea of how much these talks usually cost?

Is it possible to prebook a disabled parking space at the NEC or do I just book a regular ticket and hope theres a disabled space available when I arrive?

Many thanks.

Hi Snow, the best thing to do is email extrahelp@destinationstartrek.com with your access questions, they will be able to assist you.

The talk costs will vary probably depending on who the talk is with or how many guests are in it but hopefully others who have been before will be able to remember how much previous ones were.

Many thanks.

Hi Snow, the best thing to do is email extrahelp@destinationstartrek.com with your access questions, they will be able to assist you.

The talk costs will vary probably depending on who the talk is with or how many guests are in it but hopefully others who have been before will be able to remember how much previous ones were.

Hi Snow1, I use quite a big electric chair so hopefully you might be able to get some insight from my experience last time.

I have to say on the whole the event staff were excellent with getting me to the front area next to the stage where they were putting wheelchair users. I only went to the free Voyager stage (the main stage talks were £15 each BTW).

They had a policy of everyone clearing out at the end of each talk before refilling the seats (to give more people an equal shot of seeing a talk). In theory I should have left too but didn't always. If I didn't, noone minded and I was able to stay with my PA who sat on one of the end front row seats just behind me.

If I was elsewhere and trying to get to the stage when there was a big crowd, staff were pretty quick to guide me through to the front area again. I would say if you can make yourself known to a staff member and ask for some help to get to the right area, hopefully you will have a similar experience.

If you can't find anyone but do spot me, by all means follow in my wake!

If there is a particular talk you want to see, I suggest you get to the stage 15-20 mins before it starts if you can, much easier when slightly quieter.

Edited by robmoriarty

This may seem a rather stupid question but I nearly got caught out by one photo per person last time so not wanting to take risks this time.

I have yet to find any obvious sign where if a guest doesn't turn up then you get that specific ticket refunded. I've seen "All tickets are non-transferable or refundable." per ticket sale but I can only assume if the guest doesn't turn up (Frakes I'm looking at you) then refunds are given. Maybe it's in plain sight and just don't see it.

When might the final annoucements be made? I'm wondering if there'll be Boer and Farrell double shoot for example and not that it matters if I have them separate or not but would be nice to consider all the options.

I don't know if there will be a 'final' announcement as such, that they will say 'right, that's it folks, no more guests' - with all events if a guest becomes available last minute and they can fit them in and have time to sell tickets for their activities they probably aren't going to say no, or if someone does cancel near the date they may be able to get someone else in.

If a guest does cancel all tickets sold for that guest - photo shoots and talks will be refunded, they won't keep your money if the guest cancels ;) If it's a joint activity you had booked - a group shoot - you will be refunded that guests portion only I think.

Entry tickets are not refundable if the guest you want to meet cancels as the show is still going ahead and it's exactly that, entry to the show. They will be refunded though if for some reason the entire event was cancelled.

Edited by Raylenth

Officially from the FAQ

Will more guests be added?

The guest list will continue to grow from the launch, we will let people know when the full line has been announced but depending on how well ticket sales go we could always add more up to the open of the event, so watch this space.

I figured as much but would hate to be caught up in the hassle of having tickets where the guest doesn't show but am told "it did say no refunds."

Thanks for the reply. need to finally get on to booking tickets otherwise I won't be gonig at all!

I can officialyl confirm that no refunds does not mean no refunds if the guest cancels. Refunds will absolutely be given then.

The "no refunds" mentioned in the Terms of Service is about when the attendee changes his/her mind for example. "Ooops, I'll rather go on that cruise that just opened up bookings, I need my money back." That would be a "sorry, no refunds" thing.

• 3 weeks later...

How can autographs be paid for. Is it cash only?

No, card payments are accepted too. It should be the usual with vouchers being available at the sales desk. I'm saying "may" because I have not been told the exact location yet.

And before someone starts worrying because of my wording: The tokens that were used at some prior events will NOT be used.

No, card payments are accepted too. It should be the usual with vouchers being available at the sales desk. I'm saying "may" because I have not been told the exact location yet.

And before someone starts worrying because of my wording: The tokens that were used at some prior events will NOT be used.

Any reason why the tokens won't be used again? I thought they worked quite well at DST3, but then again I don't have anything else to compare it with that may work better.

Any reason why the tokens won't be used again? I thought they worked quite well at DST3, but then again I don't have anything else to compare it with that may work better.

The large majority of attendees hated the system and thought it was impractical. There was rarely a review that did not have the tokens down as negative.

Jason reassured everyone a couple of times that no further use of tokens was planned due to the strong dislike.

The large majority of attendees hated the system and thought it was impractical. There was rarely a review that did not have the tokens down as negative.

Jason reassured everyone a couple of times that no further use of tokens was planned due to the strong dislike.

I see, fair enough. Pleasing to hear such feedback is listened to and acted on.