Comic newbie question

Steviefull

All the X-Men incarnations? Asking for a bit much there :rolleyes:

X-Men, 1960's version was when it was simple Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Angel and Iceman. They had lots of rather mediocre adventures until the 70's when ...

Uncanny X-Men happened! Now BEast, Iceman and Angel disappeared off to the Avengers and other such superhero teams and were replaced by a more international team consisting of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colosuss, Thunderbird (oh so briefly!) and Wolverine. Cyclops and Jean Grey now The Phoenix were still on the team

At some point later to the best of my knowledge Uncanny X-Men was renamed 'Classic' Xmen for awhile.

At some point Cyclops and Jean buggered off to form Xfactor with Beast and someone else who slipped my mind only to come back later on leaving Xfactor in the capable hands of Polaris, Havok, Strong Guy, Multiple Man and Wolfsbane.

Later incarnation include when the team split and led by Storm a new team called 'Xtreme' was formed which was off doing something about Destiny's diaries. This team consisted of Gambit, Rogue, Sage, Bishop and Cannonball.

Essential XMen is basically a publication that reprints old strips, usually about three parts in one issue. I think it's designed to help get those who became fans through the movie into the Comics.

Ultimate is one of those 'reimaginings' of the XMen's beginning...the characters and setting are somewhat different.

Sorry if I've got anything wrong or left anything out but most of this was before my time!

Yeah Essentials a good one to get started on...plus it's avaliable readily in most WHSmith's! Unlike most of the others which in certain parts of the UK (*cough*Wales*cough*) can't be found for love nor money!

Now im gonna be stupid,

i have an Xmen essentials from about a year ago, which i read but was put off when it said that the story continued a story already started in Avengers United or something does that mean i need to buy two comics a month or would the complete run be in essentials.

Does that make any sense?

Yeah it makes sense....

All I can say to that is most of the stories will be understandable on their own even if they are entwined with another storyline from different comic books. And as they usually have about three stories in a month well if you don't get all of the Avengers one then you've still got two more to enjoy.... :)

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Yep Rel's pretty much there with it all,

The reason some of the story parts turn up in Avengers United is because they originally were Avengers/X-Men cross over stories, and if you think thats confusing, I have parts from a cross over series with X-Force, X-Men, and a couple of other X-Men spin offs, still havent got them all lol.

Theres been a nice Avengers/ Justice League of America cross over in Avengers United recently, I'm not a big fan of JLA compared to Avengers, but it was a good story line.

Would also reccomend those Wolverine & Gambit comics, not bad really.

As far as picking up backissues, the Nightcrawler mini series, Scarlet Witch mini series are good fun, and theres various reprints of the first 60's xmen comic floating around, its got a silvery cover with a smaller picture of the original cover on I think, shouldn't set you back more than a couple of quid I would imagine.

x

Rel- loved your Rogue costume btw ;)

Yes agreeing with Radagast there, Wolverine and Gambit is another one that's easy to find and a good read provided you like both characters!

Miniseries can be found for *most* characters so long as they're relatively popular. The whole 'Icons' publications might be worth a look as well if you're after things to do with specific characters...

And thanks Radagast, glad you liked the costume :wub: I'm doing it again for C6 and possibly Blink or another X-Man.

Sounds nifty :rolleyes:

Diamond would be a cool costume, maybe Psylocke too, if someone didn't mind having purple hair lol.

That kid dressed as Gambit got my vote :) Gambits my second favourite comic character, well maybe 3rd, Nightcrawler and Lockheed head my favourites list lol!

My Jango Fett graphic novel was a bit naff, quite dissapointed, ah well :lol: I'm sure SW Republic will cheer me up when it comes through in the post :lol:

x

Edited by Radagast

Really? Well there will be both a Nightcrawler *and* a Lockheed there at C6...(the Lockheed will be attached to the shoulder of our Kitty Pryde :vader: )

And what's wrong with purple hair?? I'll have you know I had purple hair for awhile and it did me no harm ;)

Haha nothing wrong with purple hair stuffs :) I've had purple in mine before, just its a lot of dedication to a costume isnt it lol, dying your hair.

Cool about the nightcrawler/lockheed/kitty prides at C6 :)

Crazy person, up at 3am :vader:

x