Destination Star Trek Is Back!

Looks like Spot is out of the bag! Two good guests already, only downside of the NEC is I guess you don't have the travel options like the DLR and underground if you want a hotel a bit further out but it's by no means the worst location.

Train station is right next to it, not that bad even if it is Birmingham! plenty of bus options too.

Now I think about it, and it's been a while since I've been to the centre of Birmingham, but there used to be a decent lot of Chinese restaurants in the city!

Looks like Spot is out of the bag! Two good guests already, only downside of the NEC is I guess you don't have the travel options like the DLR and underground if you want a hotel a bit further out but it's by no means the worst location.

Train station is right next to it, not that bad even if it is Birmingham! plenty of bus options too.

Now I think about it, and it's been a while since I've been to the centre of Birmingham, but there used to be a decent lot of Chinese restaurants in the city!

Indeed there are. I may pluck for Solihull as my backup option. 10 minutes by car/bus at most and the rooms are cheaper/bigger. Holiday Inn Express is 2 minutes from my old house and right next to Touchwood shopping centre with loads of food options.

Edited by robmoriarty

The NEC isn't too bad from the centre of Birmingham. You can get the train between Birmingham New Street and the airport for quite cheap if you can't get a hotel down at the airport. Me and he family are already booked into a Travelodge in the city centre and that's our plan :)

• Moderators

Just pricing up a couple of things, anyone know what a taxi from New St to the NEC would cost?

Weekends cost more

Think il prob just find a train to the airport and go from there in that case, have never been to the NEC yet so this will be a new experience for me.

Just pricing up a couple of things, anyone know what a taxi from New St to the NEC would cost?

Weekends cost more

Think il prob just find a train to the airport and go from there in that case, have never been to the NEC yet so this will be a new experience for me.

Yes, that is much easier.

• Like 1

Weekends cost more

9 minutes on the train, run every few mins... £3.80

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Weekends cost more

9 minutes on the train, run every few mins... £3.80

Excellent thanks all, that's what il do.

Great to hear it's at the NEC, it's a nightmare getting to Excel for me, usually three hours in the car, would go on the train but in a wheelchair that's no fun and I'd probably end up stuck in the corridor between carriages again, I've not tried the tube yet but that looks very complicated to find a station that allows a ramp or has a lift, I did download the pdf of accessible stops and got a headache.

Good selection of guests so far with hopefully more to come.

I will likely come up for just the Saturday.

No talk tickets as yet so it remains to be seen who will be chargeable and who will be free.

At previous events the Saturday evening slot was the 5 captains and TNG panels. Will be interesting to see what it is this time. ('50 Years Not Out: Celebrating Star Trek's Many Re-inventions Talk') presumably, although that could be anything really.

Edited by MLP*

Hi all

This announcement is good news!

Just need to sort out a reasonably priced hotel now - don't know Birmingham very well, so quite a challenge. Where have others booked?

Also, last time I went for the standard 3 day ticket but the Lieutenant package seem very good value for money this time.

Thanks