Tickets

Raylenth

I haven't bought any tickets yet as I think I'll wait for more info on the event first. I'll probably end up getting Platinum again like I did last time though

Kind of sucks for me that the event happens during a month I was hoping to go on holiday but oh well if this event gets more info and it all looks great and worth the money and travel I'll probably end up going to this event and book my holiday during a different month

One of my biggest wants along with more guests is for in-costume photos I think that would be great but unsure if they do these sorts of things at Official events..

I'm really hoping they get Martin this time as he will be the last person I want on my Sherlock poster I saw Amanda was at a different event last year that I unfortunately missed out on so hopefully if she does cons she will try and get Martin to go to them too lol (wishful thinking xD)

Also I'm also tempted to get Mark and Stevens auto on a Doctor Who poster but is it possible for them to sign non-Sherlock related things? I have only ever been to the first Sherlock event so I'm still new to these Official events and saw no one with Doctor Who things signed last time

Haven't booked anything yet but think I'll go platinum this time. The Gold pass was brilliant at the last show but it did mean a certain amount of waiting round in queues which meant I missed out on a few of the talks. Does seem they have done things the other way round this time, I suspect a lot of the reasons for the delays in announcing the last show was because they wanted to be as sure as they possibly could be that Cumberbatch was going to be there. Maybe this time it's more of a they hope to have him this time but cannot get an absolute commitment from him him. Personally I don't think Freeman will be at this event, I don't think it's a question of availability, I just don't think he has much interest in doing them, similarly with Amanda Abbington.

Interesting, on the main site for the empty guest spots most say coming soon but one says coming very soon. May mean we get some more news quite quickly.

The waiting around and missing talks happened with the platinum ticket too Count but I can't comment about how it compared with the gold. I managed to get all my pictures and autos and attended most of the talks but had to miss the Gatiss and Scott one which I really wanted to see, didn't get to any of the crew talks or the 'Women of Sherlock' talks. I said after the last one it's strange to be 'complaining' about there being too many guests and too much to do but there almost was - i wouldn't have had it any different though.

I agree with you regarding Martin, I can't link to or state where but I do recall reading somewhere recently that he's not comfortable with the whole paying for his auto thing, and if you read his interview in the Radio Times Christmas edition he doesn't want a fuss made over him either so all in all I read it as unlikely that we will see him. I'll be very happy if we do though as I don't know where I'd be able to get him on my group signed Sherlock stuff otherwise (not a massive fan of premiers simply as I'm inexperienced at them combined with the sheer length of time you have to queue for them, the amount of people can be overwhelming and the being squashed into the barriers!). It wouldn't be the end of my world not to get him but It'd be nice to have a complete signed item :smile:

Also I'm also tempted to get Mark and Stevens auto on a Doctor Who poster but is it possible for them to sign non-Sherlock related things? I have only ever been to the first Sherlock event so I'm still new to these Official events and saw no one with Doctor Who things signed last time

Yes! Always take a back up to official cons just in case it's official show related items only but at the first Sherlocked I got Mark to sign my very old copy of Nightshade; It surprised him a bit to see such an old item (I guess he mainly gets asked to sign newer Who items) but he was happy to see it and had no hesitation in signing it.

Edited by Raylenth

I saw a couple of DW things get signed last year (At least by Steven.)

Platinum again too. Although I'm a little wary that they aren't announcing a *major* lead yet. (Mark is lovely, but for the price, I'm really looking for Martin or Benedict.)

I'm also a bit disappointed that there's less included (like set photos or autographs on the art print this year.)

Missed that. They will be having the sets again as they are included in the VIP package including the Victorian set.

The Victorian set shoot is also included in the weekend pass so it's a bit stingy not to include it in the Silver/Gold/Platinum packages. Unless this is a misprint and it's been missed off those, maybe someone could double check *hint hint Queen_Sindel* ;)

I never even looked at the weekend pass until you mentioned this. You're right, it does seem wrong to include something in a lower price ticket and exclude it from the higher levels.

I'm totally guessing here but it might be that they will add to the package inclusions as they announce stuff although it is odd that they specifically include it in the weekend and not the others. They did that IIRC last year when shoots were announced, it was tickets available now but included in the following packages..... If you look at each package it has the ticket price but underneath all the inclusions it says, paraphrasing here, 'this package is worth in excess of £xxxx if items are paid for separately' - the plat package says £850, and gold £500.

As The Pink Lady mentioned earlier, we have several more months until this event than we did last time, ME/SM might simply be spreading all the details out over time to keep the interest and excitement up rather than having fewer announcements/less enthusiasm over the coming months.

Edited by Raylenth

I'm totally guessing here but it might be that they will add to the package inclusions as they announce stuff although it is odd that they specifically include it in the weekend and not the others. They did that IIRC last year when shoots were announced, it was tickets available now but included in the following packages..... If you look at each package it has the ticket price but underneath all the inclusions it says, paraphrasing here, 'this package is worth in excess of £xxxx if items are paid for separately' - the plat package says £850, and gold £500.

As The Pink Lady mentioned earlier, we have several more months until this event than we did last time, ME/SM might simply be spreading all the details out over time to keep the interest and excitement up rather than having fewer announcements/less enthusiasm over the coming months.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll add some things like they did with the Production Shoot last time, I can see why they've listed it for the Weekend Pass as otherwise £69 would be a massive increase on last years price for no reason.

I checked back because my papers agreed with what was listed on the page, but I wanted to make sure: the set shot is definitely only included for weekend tickets.

Wow, that seems pretty unfair, given that Platinum is pretty well the 'everything' package. I wasn't expecting to have to pay extra for something which was included last time. Hmm, not sure I'll be forking out for it in that case.

I checked back because my papers agreed with what was listed on the page, but I wanted to make sure: the set shot is definitely only included for weekend tickets.

Wow, that seems pretty unfair, given that Platinum is pretty well the 'everything' package. I wasn't expecting to have to pay extra for something which was included last time. Hmm, not sure I'll be forking out for it in that case.

It does seem that a lot has been cut this time.

With regards to queuing the Plat info says 'Priority access behind VIP to all queues and features' so if crew do say that we have to wait for golds to go through first we can point this out to them.

I wonder if this year it will be ensured to enter queues/hall etc. by ticket number. Last year it was more a mess...

It will most certainly be by groups or by batches with the ticket type again, not by exact ticket number. Imagine if you're Gold 9 and Gold 8 doesn't show up on time because they overslept. ;)

Bit surprised that they are including something in the weekend packages that isn't included in the highest priced ones, maybe they are trying to have an incentive for people to just buy weekend tickets then only buy the photos/talks they want rather than everyone having a ticket for everything which probably did slow a lot of the queues down last time. In a funny way I can understand why there is less in the packages at this one, by the time the event came round some of those packages were ridiculously good value, particularly when you think about what the gold pass got you last time and the calibre of guests involved.

Have to say I didn't find too many problems with entering the hall/talks in a reasonable order, the venue and event staff seemed to do a pretty good job to me to make sure everyone went in to the event and the talks in ticket type groups. Maybe the photoshoots were harder to manage but then I still thought all things considered it was managed well.

Edited by Count Fooku

I went for a gold ticket like last year but now I'm wishing I went platinum so I know all my photo's are covered without the hassle of buying extras or worrying about lead photo ops selling out. Plus getting though queues quickly if they end up with as many guests as last year would be a godsend, missed too many talks last year.

Can anyone advise if upgrade options will be available like last year? It's a rather eye watering price for someone on a modest salary but I reckon its worth it.

I went with a Platinum pass again this year because if I'm gonna spend the big bucks to fly across the pond then it only makes sense to get the best ticket I can (I'd love to get one the the VIP passes but even I can't justify roughly $4500 for a convention on top of travel/hotel. Maybe for the U.S. one depending on where it is :D ).

I haven't booked a hotel yet because I'm still debating about which one to use. Last time i stayed at the Ibis and it was nice & also fairly close to the venue. Does anybody have any thoughts/suggestions about other hotels at the Excel?

One thing that does really tickle me about the setting of TAB is that I can wear some of my Victorian outfits and actually (sorta) do cosplay for once. And here i always swore I'd never cosplay, dress in costume sure but not do 'real' cosplay. :P Having the long lead time until the con means i shouldn't have to rush to get an outfit together. :dance:

Morgan

I went for a gold ticket like last year but now I'm wishing I went platinum so I know all my photo's are covered without the hassle of buying extras or worrying about lead photo ops selling out. Plus getting though queues quickly if they end up with as many guests as last year would be a godsend, missed too many talks last year.

Can anyone advise if upgrade options will be available like last year? It's a rather eye watering price for someone on a modest salary but I reckon its worth it.

I'd like to know if this is available (upgrading) as well. I went Platinum last year and I'm not sure I want to this year; if I decide I'm definitely going, I'd buy the Gold and upgrade to Platinum if they added MF.

I wonder if this year it will be ensured to enter queues/hall etc. by ticket number. Last year it was more a mess...

It will most certainly be by groups or by batches with the ticket type again, not by exact ticket number. Imagine if you're Gold 9 and Gold 8 doesn't show up on time because they overslept. ;)

Other cons show it works well by ticket no. If someone is not right in time, but her/his no. is "done" already just enter the queue asap.
Last year there has been a messy queue (my point of view) for BC talk. I entered the "queue-hall" an hour prior to the talk and had to find out that hundreds of gold ticket holders where in front if me (gold 13). Asking staff for help I received the answer "we were not able to ensure queuing in batches".
If someone supports a con buying the ticket of the first batch tickets are on sale there should be an advantage.

Which is part of what I posted above, that queueing is very likely to be done in batches. Gives early booking people exactly what you are asking for. I don't know why it did not happen last year, but that is the way it is normally done. This point was brought up numerous points after the last show and definitely won't be ignored.

In the past we had some people seriously expecting queueing to be done in exact number order, with the line being held up until everyone is in position. Considering how often that idea comes up the mods always repeat that this is not doable. I think some people - especially if they have never been to an event before - just underestimate the number of attendees.

Which is part of what I posted above, that it is very likely to be done in batches. Gives early booking people exactly what you are asking for. I don't know why it did not happen last year, but that is the way it is normally done.

In the past we had some people seriously expecting queueing to be done in exact number order, with the line being held up until everyone is in position. Considering how often that idea comes up the mods always repeat that this is not doable.

Not without everyone turning up to queue early so that ticket numbers can be checked which totally defeats the purpose of it. I have seen it done well without a lot of fuss but everyone does need to be there early. Batches is probably the best option.

It is a catch 22 situation really, I found the same thing last year that thinking 'oh the talk starts in 30 mins, do I need to go an start queuing' and finding tons already there meant you then start having to miss things to get there in plenty of time to not miss the stuff you really want to do. It's probably not possible to do absolutely everything even with a platinum ticket as you can't be in 2 places at once but I did have to miss quite a few talks last year due to having to be in queues. It's kind of unavoidable though given the amount of stuff going on and the numbers of people there.

That's the problem, then everyone needs to be there early.

Last time I chose to be very much on time for a couple of talks, partly talks where I knew others would be queueing up for a long time for. But I had photo sessions close to that which were more important to me personally. Still had the "exactly by numbers" been in place the others would probably have shot me for keeping up the line. ;)

To avoid that you'd probably have to keep at least half hour (if not more) clear before every talk. That's just not doable, unless less guests do talks. And I don't think anyone would want that.

I'd like to know if this is available (upgrading) as well. I went Platinum last year and I'm not sure I want to this year; if I decide I'm definitely going, I'd buy the Gold and upgrade to Platinum if they added MF.

Confirmed: Upgrades WILL be available, details are currently being worked out.

• Like 1

Last year I found that when you bought your ticket it made no difference to the numbers on the badges but really it was when you picked your ticket up that determined what number you had on your badge as I went along to pick up mine with someone who upgraded to platinum much much later than I did and our numbers were consecutive. It didn't bother me though as it meant we could hang out at the convention the whole time.

That's the problem, then everyone needs to be there early.

Last time I chose to be very much on time for a couple of talks, partly talks where I knew others would be queueing up for a long time for. But I had photo sessions close to that which were more important to me personally. Still had the "exactly by numbers" been in place the others would probably have shot me for keeping up the line. ;)

To avoid that you'd probably have to keep at least half hour (if not more) clear before every talk. That's just not doable, unless less guests do talks. And I don't think anyone would want that.

Last year, I didn't get to all of the main hall talks, but I made sure that I attended enough over both days to see all the guests (eg. I didn't see Andrew Scott on Saturday as I was queuing for BC's photo shoot, but made sure I saw his talk with Mark Gatiss on Sunday). Doing it that way meant I saw all the guests on stage, got autographs from 99% ( I missed out on Louise's), and got photos with everybody.