RIP David Bowie

carnosoul

I posted this on facebook earlier:

I'd just arrived at work this morning when the news of David Bowie's death broke. I wasn't prepared for quite how much it would effect me in just the same way that I wasn't prepared for my love of him and his music to hit me. Let me explain.
Growing up Bowie was already a legend. I knew his hit singles from the early eighties and of course from Labyrinth, my sister Sarah Newall​ was a bit of a fan around that time so I'd heard his music from her room but wasn't a massive fan. It started to change when I went to University and got my first CD player. I joined the Britannia Music Club and one of my introductory CDs was The Singles Collection, one of the main reasons I chose it was because it was a double CD! It was listening to this that introduced me to his genius Seventies work and I started to really appreciate him, but I still wouldn't call myself a fan. All that changed on October 9th 1999. Martina Heath​ and I went to the old Wembley Stadium to the Net Aid charity concert to see Robbie Williams. We were waiting in the queue outside to go in and could hear Bowie soundchecking and I could hear he was going to play Drive-In Saturday which excited me but still I wasn't prepared for what would happen later. I'd ignored the Eurythmics, drooled over The Corrs, been captivated by Catatonia and enjoyed the other acts and it was now time for Bowie, Anjelica Houston introduced him and he came on with just Mike Garson and sang Life on Mars and that was it, he had me by the end of the first verse. At the end of the song I turned to Martina and said "It's David **** Bowie" with a wide eyed look of wonder on my face.
That was it, I was hooked. I'd soon bought all his albums to date and have bought them all since, I'll even buy compilations or boxsets if they've got even one previously unreleased track on them. Not all his stuff has been great, the late 80s albums are largely miss and bar a couple of tracks you can ignore Tin Machine but he has always been interesting.
In 2004 he played the Isle of Wight festival. In those days you could buy day tickets so I went over, got horribly sunburnt stood a few rows from the front of the stage all day enjoying some bands, tolerating others, watching England get knocked out of the European Championship and then he came on and did an amazing 2 hour set full of songs from throughout his career and, as it turns out, performed his own concert for the last time on British soil (he guested with David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years later).
I bought Blackstar on Friday, listened to it and enjoyed it on Saturday, today he's dead and I keep crying.
RIP David and thank you.
  • Like 2

I've not been a huge David Bowie fan, but I've always apprecieated some of his songs.

A couple of years ago I went to visit in London , at the Victoris and Albert Museum, a special collection of items and videos and costumes who were showed there.

There, I saw how great was all his work into the music's world. Every his performance was full of love for the music.

David had the opportunity to "live" all his life into the element he loved, the music, and he gave to his fans (and not) a collection of masterpieces that will never be forget.

Thank you, David Bowie.

R.I.P. :crying:

• Like 1