Star Wars: The Force awakens Discussion - WARNING: SPOILERS!

Queen_Sindel

Just got back from seeing it. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd go for a solid 8/10. Yes there were some issues with it, but I'm yet to see a film that is truly perfect (except maybe Ghostbusters!). I didn't know the major plot spoilers when going in, although I had heard that Harrison might not be in the next two very much and so the though of Han dying had crossed my mind, and many months back I had heard that the plot would be new kids and Han trying to return Luke's lightsaber to him and I thought it sounded pretty terrible but I was kinda wrong as I thought the story more or less held up.

I understand a lot of people's issues on here. Yes it was very similar to the originals, but didn't everyone say the the prequels were too different?! Yes, Kylo Ren was not nearly as badass as Darth Vader, but that was the point. We KNOW this is the start of a new trilogy and I'm looking forward to him becoming a darker character as they progress. I too would have liked to have seen more of Poe and Phasma though. I will add that, the bit with Luke at the end felt a bit pointless to me. They should have finished it when Rey and Chewy took off in the falcon and left the Luke reveal to the next one. They also made a few too many 'on the nose' references to the originals for my liking but I'll let them get away with that.

The idea of this film is to bring us back into the Star Wars universe and I think it's done that well. It will never match up to the originals, there was magic around when those films were made and nothing anyone does in the Star Wars universe will compare, but I'm happy for them to continue trying. A lot of the action sequences, especially the dog fight stuff with the X-Wings was just great and properly took me back to my childhood. All in all I'd put this above the prequels and am looking forward to what they do next.

EDIT: Just to add about the lightsaber fighting. I agree that there is no way that Finn would have lasted as long as he did, but we did see early on that Rey had to fight for herself to survive on Jakku so had quite a few moves up her sleeve. I would also say that her way of fighting was not at all in anyway the style of a Jedi as she generally hacked and slashed at Kylo putting him pretty much on the defensive most the time. With his training incomplete and her general brutality in that fight, I could see how she could win.

Have they done prequels? I knwo of only Episodes 1 to 6 before this latest one?

I know you have that view but seeing as when 'Episode 4 - A New Hope' as it's now known (or just Star Wars as it was originally called) was the first movie and episodes 1-3 were not written, nor their story even properly thought about until after episodes 4-6 were made. Yes, they ARE prequels. There are too many inconsistencies for them not to be.

This might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prequel

Edited by Wrong Name

Just got back from seeing it. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd go for a solid 8/10. Yes there were some issues with it, but I'm yet to see a film that is truly perfect (except maybe Ghostbusters!). I didn't know the major plot spoilers when going in, although I had heard that Harrison might not be in the next two very much and so the though of Han dying had crossed my mind, and many months back I had heard that the plot would be new kids and Han trying to return Luke's lightsaber to him and I thought it sounded pretty terrible but I was kinda wrong as I thought the story more or less held up.

I understand a lot of people's issues on here. Yes it was very similar to the originals, but didn't everyone say the the prequels were too different?! Yes, Kylo Ren was not nearly as badass as Darth Vader, but that was the point. We KNOW this is the start of a new trilogy and I'm looking forward to him becoming a darker character as they progress. I too would have liked to have seen more of Poe and Phasma though. I will add that, the bit with Luke at the end felt a bit pointless to me. They should have finished it when Rey and Chewy took off in the falcon and left the Luke reveal to the next one. They also made a few too many 'on the nose' references to the originals for my liking but I'll let them get away with that.

The idea of this film is to bring us back into the Star Wars universe and I think it's done that well. It will never match up to the originals, there was magic around when those films were made and nothing anyone does in the Star Wars universe will compare, but I'm happy for them to continue trying. A lot of the action sequences, especially the dog fight stuff with the X-Wings was just great and properly took me back to my childhood. All in all I'd put this above the prequels and am looking forward to what they do next.

EDIT: Just to add about the lightsaber fighting. I agree that there is no way that Finn would have lasted as long as he did, but we did see early on that Rey had to fight for herself to survive on Jakku so had quite a few moves up her sleeve. I would also say that her way of fighting was not at all in anyway the style of a Jedi as she generally hacked and slashed at Kylo putting him pretty much on the defensive most the time. With his training incomplete and her general brutality in that fight, I could see how she could win.

I know you have that view but seeing as when 'Episode 4 - A New Hope' as it's now known (or just Star Wars as it was originally called) was the first movie and episodes 1-3 were not written, nor their story even properly thought about until after episodes 4-6 were made. Yes, they ARE prequels. There are too many inconsistencies for them not to be.

So, let me deal with this from the start.

Episode 4 - A New Hope was always the title of the film itself as shown in the opening credits from the 1981 re-release. Why change it? Because with subsequent Episodes 5 and 6 it was done to have some act of continuity.

Now, onto Epsidoes 1 to 3. I am hoping you know the history of how the Star Wars franchsie came about?

If so, then you will hopefully know that Mr Star Wars himself had a general outline which initially was 12 parts and then cut to 9. I won't bore people with the funding problems etc etc, or the fact he had to ..... oooops, boring people.

So, as there was a general outline with originally Episodes 1 -12 written which was .... darn it, boring people again....

Definition of a prequel is - "a story or film containing events which precede those of an existing work"

So, with the phrase "existing work" used as part of the definition, it would suggest that Episodes 1 to 3 are part of the "existing work" and thus part of the storyline.

If I go by your definition using anyone who may have seen Episode 7 as their first Star Wars film, then I might be one to believe Episodes 1 to 6 are prequels.

I guess it is all down to personal interpretation of what is a prequel and what is not.

Heck, Temple of Doom is set before Raiders yet was the second film and thus !qualifies! as a prequel.

Hey ho, off to bed to watch a film me thinks.

Anyone know a good prequel? :clap:

Oh, and by the way...even if Lucas came out and said they were prequels I would not care one iota as they are a great body of work (Binks included) of a wonderful set of entertaining films. Not a life or death thing. Just a fun thing to watch from time to time.

Second Edit: And I always do the prequel debate as, apart from what I believe, it always creates great and friendly debate

Edited by Rated_SD13

So, let me deal with this from the start.

Episode 4 - A New Hope was always the title of the film itself as shown in the opening credits from the 1981 re-release. Why change it? Because with subsequent Episodes 5 and 6 it was done to have some act of continuity.

Now, onto Epsidoes 1 to 3. I am hoping you know the history of how the Star Wars franchsie came about?

If so, then you will hopefully know that Mr Star Wars himself had a general outline which initially was 12 parts and then cut to 9. I won't bore people with the funding problems etc etc, or the fact he had to ..... oooops, boring people.

So, as there was a general outline with originally Episodes 1 -12 written which was .... darn it, boring people again....

Definition of a prequel is - "a story or film containing events which precede those of an existing work"

So, with the phrase "existing work" used as part of the definition, it would suggest that Episodes 1 to 3 are part of the "existing work" and thus part of the storyline.

If I go by your definition using anyone who may have seen Episode 7 as their first Star Wars film, then I might be one to believe Episodes 1 to 6 are prequels.

I guess it is all down to personal interpretation of what is a prequel and what is not.

Heck, Temple of Doom is set before Raiders yet was the second film and thus !qualifies! as a prequel.

Hey ho, off to bed to watch a film me thinks.

Anyone know a good prequel? :clap:

Oh, and by the way...even if Lucas came out and said they were prequels I would not care one iota as they are a great body of work (Binks included) of a wonderful set of entertaining films. Not a life or death thing. Just a fun thing to watch from time to time.

'Changed for the RE-RELEASE' I think is the most important part of that sentence.

I do know how Star Wars came about

Due to the definition of a prequel, having an outline of how you think the story SHOULD go, but not actually releasing that to anyone does not count. If George had made episodes 1-3 before making 4-6 but then chose to make release 4-6 first then I might agree with you. But he didn't. 4-6 were made and released first, it wasn't until many years later that 1-3 were made and released. When the idea for them was thought up is irrelevant.

And seeing that is 'my' definition (as you call it, I'd call it the dictionary definition) it also doesn't matter when an individual sees the movie, I'm going by when they were made and released. So no, 1-6 are not prequels to 7 as it was made and released after them.

My confusion comes as to why you think calling them prequels is a bad thing? They are set before but came out after. That's it. I'm not saying it's bad in anyway! As you know I'm not a fan of them but by calling them prequels I'm not referring to their content at all.

Although I am a fan of the Indy movies, I don't have enough knowledge to really comment on that, but if Temple of Doom is indeed set before Raiders, then yes, it IS a prequel by pure definition of the word. Once again, not a bad thing!

And I believe George has referred to them as prequels on many occasions.

My belief still stands, and if George has indeed said that I stand by what I said when/if that happens. I love a good friendly healthy debate. I even pressed pause on the dvd player to answer this. Now, back to Episode 1 (not a prequel).....of ....only joking.

I am getting out my special set of skills...... toodles

With regards to Twitter or your local paper or people shouting out the spoilers in public, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to do that or what gratification they get from it.

Someone on my Facebook posted a pic of Han and commented, "I cant believe it. So gutted. :( " He thought he was being secretive but it was blindingly obvious. Its not like anyone is thinking "Oh what can he mean by that?" It just baffles me why people spoil like that who arent even internet trolls.

I knew Han might die though as some parts of the script were leaked/rumoured about a year ago but not all of it came to fruition like Luke's hand/sabre floating in space.

PS: I dont think Daniel Craig would have done the cameo for free, not an A lister like him anyway. I heard the new stormtrooper uniforms were infamously uncomfortable and that scene will have taken probably a couple days at least to film. I was an extra on TFA for 3 days on the rebel base.

Edited by nicky

I had problems with it too. Here's my review:

There was a time before 1999 when Star Wars (in general) was something special and George Lucas was deemed a God among movie fans everywhere...and then he made THE PHANTOM MENACE and everything turned to crud. When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 and announced a new film to be directed by J.J. Abrams, the world rejoiced that at last our beloved SW could be saved. People would say, "Well they can't make it any worse than the prequels, surly!" but now that I've seen THE FORCE AWAKENS, I'm not so sure that's true.

As a hardcore fan of the Original Trilogy which this film was supposed to appease, there were a lot of things I didn't like. For a start it just didn't feel like SW to me, in fact it felt like a Disney/MTV style science-fiction film due to the action, explosions and humour. There weren't even any of those funky scene transitions and wipes from Lucas's films and technically it all seemed a bit too "trendy" and modernised. Its been 32 years since ROTJ and for TFA to come this late I just couldn't accept anything in the story as canon and it felt a lot like a fan film. Even John Williams's score was weak. The plot is also very derivative of things we've seen before already in the OT which I was very disappointed with - could the great Laurence Kasden really not write a better and more original screenplay? The film just lacks the epic grandness and scope any of the previous films had including the prequels.

The most annoying thing about the story though is that it relies WAY too much on the subsequent sequels to fill in the blanks. By the time the film ends you're left with too many unanswered questions. Most of the screen-time is given to the new characters of course and that's OK but Kylo Ren is a bit of a weak villain especially given his story. John Boyega is great but why is he the only stormtrooper to defect? Daisy Ridley on the other hand was a bit "too English" I thought. Captain Phasma was a useless waste and not scary or cool at all with that soft female voice of her's and since when did stormtroopers ever have any personality or individuality anyway? BB-8 was OK but how is it humans now understand a droid's beeps?? Furthermore, The First Order just seemed a bit amateur compared to the Empire, I mean why cast that baby-faced ginger Domhnall Gleeson as a general? He and the rest of the officers just didn't carry that same amount of elegance and stiffness that the OT Imperial officers had.

Its quite annoying that all the old characters are pretty much sidelined with not a lot to do apart from Han Solo. Its great to see him front and centre being such a fan favourite but he just isn't the same old rogue-ish scoundrel who we all know and love. He just looks AND acts his age in this film and at times it looks like Harrison Ford is acting out a comedy-sketch parody of Han Solo as an old man. And what took Han so long to finally try out Chewbacca's bowcaster anyway?

The film definately stands out from the other films but not necessarily in a good way. Yes, it has better story than the prequels but it misses their scope and feels less like a stand-alone film than any of the others before it. And because its 32 years since the OT Abrams keeps giving the old characters grand entrances ("Look! Its Han and Chewie! They're back, YAY!) that really are not necessary and will undoubtedly date the film in years to come. The film will probably sit better with me once Ep VIII and IX are out but seeing it now it just feels incomplete.

Edited by nicky

I had problems with it too. Here's my review:

There was a time before 1999 when Star Wars (in general) was something special and George Lucas was deemed a God among movie fans everywhere...and then he made THE PHANTOM MENACE and everything turned to crud. When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 and announced a new film to be directed by J.J. Abrams, the world rejoiced that at last our beloved SW could be saved. People would say, "Well they can't make it any worse than the prequels, surly!" but now that I've seen THE FORCE AWAKENS, I'm not so sure that's true.

As a hardcore fan of the Original Trilogy which this film was supposed to appease, there were a lot of things I didn't like. For a start it just didn't feel like SW to me, in fact it felt like a Disney/MTV style science-fiction film due to the action, explosions and humour. There weren't even any of those funky scene transitions and wipes from Lucas's films and technically it all seemed a bit too "trendy" and modernised. Its been 32 years since ROTJ and for TFA to come this late I just couldn't accept anything in the story as canon and it felt a lot like a fan film. Even John Williams's score was weak. The plot is also very derivative of things we've seen before already in the OT which I was very disappointed with - could the great Laurence Kasden really not write a better and more original screenplay? The film just lacks the epic grandness and scope any of the previous films had including the prequels.

The most annoying thing about the story though is that it relies WAY too much on the subsequent sequels to fill in the blanks. By the time the film ends you're left with too many unanswered questions. Most of the screen-time is given to the new characters of course and that's OK but Kylo Ren is a bit of a weak villain especially given his story. John Boyega is great but why is he the only stormtrooper to defect? Daisy Ridley on the other hand was a bit "too English" I thought. Captain Phasma was a useless waste and not scary or cool at all with that soft female voice of her's and since when did stormtroopers ever have any personality or individuality anyway? BB-8 was OK but how is it humans now understand a droid's beeps?? Furthermore, The First Order just seemed a bit amateur compared to the Empire, I mean why cast that baby-faced ginger Domhnall Gleeson as a general? He and the rest of the officers just didn't carry that same amount of elegance and stiffness that the OT Imperial officers had.

Its quite annoying that all the old characters are pretty much sidelined with not a lot to do apart from Han Solo. Its great to see him front and centre being such a fan favourite but he just isn't the same old rogue-ish scoundrel who we all know and love. He just looks AND acts his age in this film and at times it looks like Harrison Ford is acting out a comedy-sketch parody of Han Solo as an old man. And what took Han so long to finally try out Chewbacca's bowcaster anyway?

The film definately stands out from the other films but not necessarily in a good way. Yes, it has better story than the prequels but it misses their scope and feels less like a stand-alone film than any of the others before it. And because its 32 years since the OT Abrams keeps giving the old characters grand entrances ("Look! Its Han and Chewie! They're back, YAY!) that really are not necessary and will undoubtedly date the film in years to come. The film will probably sit better with me once Ep VIII and IX are out but seeing it now it just feels incomplete.

Being left with unanswered questions is fine with me Nicky as that is typical of a planned out trilogy of films/tv epsiodes etc. Keeps me hooked.

As regards Ford and his acting of Solo in TFA, he commented that he did not got goose bumps returning....he got a pay cheque

There weren't even any of those funky scene transitions and wipes from Lucas's films

There definitely were! I saw several and thought at the time 'awesome, using some of the wipes of the original era'. Now I may have totally made all of the several times I saw them up, but I highly doubt it! I'd barely touched a drop that day! :D

There weren't even any of those funky scene transitions and wipes from Lucas's films

There definitely were! I saw several and thought at the time 'awesome, using some of the wipes of the original era'. Now I may have totally made all of the several times I saw them up, but I highly doubt it! I'd barely touched a drop that day! :D

Totally agree. So many nods to New Hope even down to a new Cantina seen...

I loved it. Yeah, I understand the criticism being aimed at it for 'borrowing' heavily from A New Hope but, for me, that's a minor quibble. I've read a lot of backlash against Kylo Ren but I don't get why. If they'd have come straight out the gate with another all powerful Sith then it would have been treading old ground even more. As it is, he's an amateur and he knows it. This is mostly evident in the scene when he trashes the room with his sabre. No control over his emotions and lashing out, total the opposite of Vader and bodes well for future character development.

I thought the new characters were great too, especially Rey. I didn't sit there thinking 'when are the classic characters coming into it'. That's testament to the new crowd, they had me engaged from the word go.

And finally, the look and feel of it were spot on. The blend of practical and modern effects was top notch.

The main criticism I have is Captain Phasma was massively underused. Hopefully she'll be back with more screen time.

Really looking forward to seeing it again but in 2D.

• Like 2

I loved it. Yeah, I understand the criticism being aimed at it for 'borrowing' heavily from A New Hope but, for me, that's a minor quibble. I've read a lot of backlash against Kylo Ren but I don't get why. If they'd have come straight out the gate with another all powerful Sith then it would have been treading old ground even more. As it is, he's an amateur and he knows it. This is mostly evident in the scene when he trashes the room with his sabre. No control over his emotions and lashing out, total the opposite of Vader and bodes well for future character development.

I thought the new characters were great too, especially Rey. I didn't sit there thinking 'when are the classic characters coming into it'. That's testament to the new crowd, they had me engaged from the word go.

And finally, the look and feel of it were spot on. The blend of practical and modern effects was top notch.

The main criticism I have is Captain Phasma was massively underused. Hopefully she'll be back with more screen time.

Really looking forward to seeing it again but in 2D.

I can see it in years to come when this trilogy is complete where people will say how great it is and fits together. You get this with any multi film or multi episode production. It happened with Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

• Like 1

I hope so. I'd hate to think of it being thought of in the same way the preq.....sorry, the one's that came after but before the OT. :smile:

I do love a little winding up when I press the prequel button. It always starts a debate. lol Naughty me!

With any franchise where it is announced it is a trilogy of films you will always have impatience.

Edited by Rated_SD13

We are an easy breed to wind up aren't we? :dance:

I prefer it this way. Answering every question would be a cop out. Answer some but leaving it with more to find out than when you first went in keeps debate going and gives you more to look forward to. I'm really hoping the Rey storyline stays strong, she's a great character and Daisy Ridley nailed it.

Just noticed you used Wikipedia....I think I will pass on Wikipedia as not the most reliable for accuracy :angel:

I prefer it this way. Answering every question would be a cop out. Answer some but leaving it with more to find out than when you first went in keeps debate going and gives you more to look forward to. I'm really hoping the Rey storyline stays strong, she's a great character and Daisy Ridley nailed it.

I am selective when I wind up. Someone really needs to deserve it for whatever reason. Life is too short. As the Joker said "Why so serious?"

Just noticed you used Wikipedia....I think I will pass on Wikipedia as not the most reliable for accuracy :angel:

It was the first to hand and had a better description than webster's although it's still says the same basic thing: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prequel

I am selective when I wind up. Someone really needs to deserve it for whatever reason. Life is too short. As the Joker said "Why so serious?"

Have I done something to deserve it?! I spend most my time on here trying to help people and very rarely talk about my opinions on anything.

Edited by Wrong Name

It was the first to hand and had a better description than webster's although it's still says the same basic thing: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prequel

Dude, you did not need to find another one. I was just ragging on Wikipedia. It is a hobby. Especially as anyone can edit it and they beg for money

Have I done something to deserve it?! I spend most my time on here trying to help people and very rarely talk about my opinions on anything.

Yes, you have been funny and an all round good sport. My winding up is playful

• Like 1

Yes, you have been funny and an all round good sport. My winding up is playful

I'm only joking. I too enjoy a good debate, and with 7 films as well as all the expanded universe TV shows, books and games, Star Wars is definitely open to everyone having their own views on everything. It's all good.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wasn't disappointed in any of it. It far exceeded any expectations I had beforehand.

I wanted it to be like the originals, so I was very happy that it was. For me I wanted it to feel like Star Wars was made today, and that's exactly how it came across. The humour all worked for me - it balanced in-jokes about the series with general humour so that was good. The drama was well paced and the new characters integrated well with the old. I'm looking forward to seeing how they all develop.

Yes, some were underutilised but you were never going to get equal attention on all characters. There's the next movies for that.

Does anyone else on here like Revenge of the Sith? I agree that the first two episodes (or prequels 😉 ) were not very good but the third I thought was great! Loved how it all tied in together with Anakin becoming Darth Vader, Luke and Leia being born etc.

Edited by Tony1975
  • Like 1

When tickets went on sale back in October I snapped up three, all for opening day. 12:01am, 12:30pm. 15:40pm. Then I just HAD to see it again on Saturday.

I'm not gonna be talking about spoilers publicly so I won;'t say anything even in here out of principle, but four times just isn't enough, I plan to see it at least twice more before the year is out and early next year will be definitely imaxing it.

I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to thank JJ a few hours before I saw it because he has TOTALLY nailed it. #FACT

My fav eps would be IV and VII yes, A New Hope and The Force Awakens are there then Empire, and Jedi.

Will be putting money on both JJ, John Williams and TFA itself to get both Oscar noms and MAJOR wins.