Star Wars: The Force awakens Discussion - WARNING: SPOILERS!

Queen_Sindel

Just come back from watching this film. After looking forward to it I now feel very disappointed and let down. My major gripe is that the story was not very original at all and copied a lot from the original films. It almost felt like a poor remake. The leads playing Finn and Rey were good but a lot of the humour between them felt flat. And how were they able to be so good with a lightsaber? I thought it took a lot of training to be a Jedi that good? I also thought that the actor playing the lead bad guy was a very poor choice and I didn't like how soon he took off his mask. There was no air of mystery about him. It wasn't all bad though. Han Solo and Chewbacca were great as usual and the action scenes were very well done. It's just that I expected so much more. If it wasn't Star Wars I reckon a lot of people would say it was an average film. It gets 5/10 from me.

As Above, just got home from watching it. I thought it was good. I like how nothing of the movie was leaked so everything was a surprise. I thought the baddie was not scary at all, it showed as some of the troops showed no fear with him. Wasn't sure either if he was the right person to play a baddie. Han and chewie stole the show they were great but Ford looked old and it didn't seem right he still running around the galaxy.

Overall I did enjoy it, still prefer the Original Star wars 1977 and not the remake cgi release one. I'm going again to see it over the weekend. Was simon Pegg in it? I never spotted him? :no:

• Like 1

I thought the baddie was not scary at all, it showed as some of the troops showed no fear with him. Wasn't sure either if he was the right person to play a baddie.

I'm wondering if this was the point though. He thought he was pretty badass but ultimately proved not to be, but was left hurt both physically and mentally at the end, but still alive. I'd assume this will feed his anger and make him stronger through 8 & 9 until he becomes as powerful as Vader was.

• Like 1

Was simon Pegg in it? I never spotted him? :no:

Going from the photos he had posted on Twitter he was really heavily masked... the junk dealer Unkar Plutt on Rey's home planet.

If anyone wonders why I am in here without having seen the film yet... both a local newspaper and a Twitter account of a football team had nothing better to do than scream the Kylo and Han Solo spoilers straight in my face. So right now it really doesn't matter anymore what else I pick up. :P

Was simon Pegg in it? I never spotted him? :no:

Going from the photos he had posted on Twitter he was really heavily masked... the junk dealer Unkar Plutt on Rey's home planet.

If anyone wonders why I am in here without having seen the film yet... both a local newspaper and a Twitter account of a football team had nothing better to do than scream the Kylo and Han Solo spoilers straight in my face. So right now it really doesn't matter anymore what else I pick up. :P

I feel so sorry for you QS.. I must admit I don't know why they get Top Stars to be in these movies and they are unrecognisable, that must be a waste of money for the movie. :headscratch: Then again, Luke Skywalker had the best Deal of the movie... Not a word. :no:

I must admit I don't know why they get Top Stars to be in these movies and they are unrecognisable, that must be a waste of money for the movie. :headscratch:

Would you want to play a alien in Star Wars.. I imagine someone like Simon would pay to do it!

He could end up with a Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who action figure.

I'm sure you might have heard this before, but Daniel Craig also spent a day on set dressed as a Stormtrooper. It wouldn't surprise me if a few other well known actors also had small parts.

I saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and was blown away by how it looks, would really recommend seeing it in that format if you can. I enjoyed more so then the prequels, but felt characters like Poe and Captain Phasma were really underused, here's hoping that they will get more screen time in Episode 8 (If Phasma made it out of the trash compactor!). I think we all knew that Han would be killed off as it was originally said that Ford had only signed up for 1 movie, I thought he might have gone out being a hero and saving someone or something like that. Also it was never really explained why they were looking for Luke in the first place. But didn't Hamill look like Oliver Reed in Gladiator at the end!

Spare a thought for people queuing for the next showing after me, when we came out some guy shouted out at the top of his voice 'Han dies'! The look on some of the people's faces was devastating.

Yeah, there's this really nice gif going around "don't be a Homer" from one of the early Simpsons episodes where Homer does just that.

I heard that Daniel Craig story too. Wouldn't surprise me if there had been others as well.

I feel so sorry for you QS.. I must admit I don't know why they get Top Stars to be in these movies and they are unrecognisable, that must be a waste of money for the movie. :headscratch: Then again, Luke Skywalker had the best Deal of the movie... Not a word. :no:

Thanks my dear camel. As you can imagine my response would have made a sailor blush. :crying:

I agree with what Terrahawk has said. If you're a fan - and no doubt Simon is - they'll likely do a cameo for free, just to be in something they love. Some may even think that a "disguise" is better because it doesn't distract from the movie.

I'm sure you might have heard this before, but Daniel Craig also spent a day on set dressed as a Stormtrooper. It wouldn't surprise me if a few other well known actors also had small parts.

I saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and was blown away by how it looks, would really recommend seeing it in that format if you can. I enjoyed more so then the prequels, but felt characters like Poe and Captain Phasma were really underused, here's hoping that they will get more screen time in Episode 8 (If Phasma made it out of the trash compactor!). I think we all knew that Han would be killed off as it was originally said that Ford had only signed up for 1 movie, I thought he might have gone out being a hero and saving someone or something like that. Also it was never really explained why they were looking for Luke in the first place. But didn't Hamill look like Oliver Reed in Gladiator at the end!

Spare a thought for people queuing for the next showing after me, when we came out some guy shouted out at the top of his voice 'Han dies'! The look on some of the people's faces was devastating.

I think Daniel Craig was the one who let Rey out of her cell. I've watch a couple of times now and I'm almost certain it's him from listening to it more carefully the second time. I did hear all of the Bonds aside from Sean Connery are in it but can't confirm for sure. Maybe we'll see a pic or something of them all together.

I think Daniel Craig was the one who let Rey out of her cell. I've watch a couple of times now and I'm almost certain it's him from listening to it more carefully the second time. I did hear all of the Bonds aside from Sean Connery are in it but can't confirm for sure. Maybe we'll see a pic or something of them all together.

I actually read that a couple of hours ago here http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/daniel-craig-makes-cameo-star-wars-force-awakens he says "I'll tighten those restraints, scavenger scum!".

I actually read that a couple of hours ago here http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/daniel-craig-makes-cameo-star-wars-force-awakens he says "I'll tighten those restraints, scavenger scum!".

I was right then, thats cool :-)

I thought the baddie was not scary at all, it showed as some of the troops showed no fear with him. Wasn't sure either if he was the right person to play a baddie.

I'm wondering if this was the point though. He thought he was pretty badass but ultimately proved not to be, but was left hurt both physically and mentally at the end, but still alive. I'd assume this will feed his anger and make him stronger through 8 & 9 until he becomes as powerful as Vader was.

This was amply covered by the discussion between Kylo Ren and the Supreme Leader when Ren said he had felt the light side pulling him. And at the end of the film the Supreme Leader tells the other guy in charge to bring Ren to him for his final training.

First JJ remakes *wrath of khan", now he remakes "The search for spock" :-)

I could not even say finding Luke was anything like Search for Spock - no matter how much I have tried :angel:

Glad i was not a lone.

If anything it was Episode 4 A New Hope - The Next Generation

agree with the other posters on here, I found it a little disappointing, it looks amazing but has lots of very contrived moments, they escape in the falcon, and immediately picked up by han and chewie, even though it hasn't flown for years, which sets up han running away from giant cannonball, like in indiana jones, they search for ren, who just happens to be outside the window! JJ Abrams is good at recycling old ideas but never comes up with anything new. The best thing in it was Finn, although he didn't come off very stormtroopery.

Being with lots of other people I couldn't stay till the very end, is there a post credit scene?

Just got back from seeing it. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd go for a solid 8/10. Yes there were some issues with it, but I'm yet to see a film that is truly perfect (except maybe Ghostbusters!). I didn't know the major plot spoilers when going in, although I had heard that Harrison might not be in the next two very much and so the though of Han dying had crossed my mind, and many months back I had heard that the plot would be new kids and Han trying to return Luke's lightsaber to him and I thought it sounded pretty terrible but I was kinda wrong as I thought the story more or less held up.

I understand a lot of people's issues on here. Yes it was very similar to the originals, but didn't everyone say the the prequels were too different?! Yes, Kylo Ren was not nearly as badass as Darth Vader, but that was the point. We KNOW this is the start of a new trilogy and I'm looking forward to him becoming a darker character as they progress. I too would have liked to have seen more of Poe and Phasma though. I will add that, the bit with Luke at the end felt a bit pointless to me. They should have finished it when Rey and Chewy took off in the falcon and left the Luke reveal to the next one. They also made a few too many 'on the nose' references to the originals for my liking but I'll let them get away with that.

The idea of this film is to bring us back into the Star Wars universe and I think it's done that well. It will never match up to the originals, there was magic around when those films were made and nothing anyone does in the Star Wars universe will compare, but I'm happy for them to continue trying. A lot of the action sequences, especially the dog fight stuff with the X-Wings was just great and properly took me back to my childhood. All in all I'd put this above the prequels and am looking forward to what they do next.

EDIT: Just to add about the lightsaber fighting. I agree that there is no way that Finn would have lasted as long as he did, but we did see early on that Rey had to fight for herself to survive on Jakku so had quite a few moves up her sleeve. I would also say that her way of fighting was not at all in anyway the style of a Jedi as she generally hacked and slashed at Kylo putting him pretty much on the defensive most the time. With his training incomplete and her general brutality in that fight, I could see how she could win.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 4

Just got back from seeing it. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd go for a solid 8/10. Yes there were some issues with it, but I'm yet to see a film that is truly perfect (except maybe Ghostbusters!). I didn't know the major plot spoilers when going in, although I had heard that Harrison might not be in the next two very much and so the though of Han dying had crossed my mind, and many months back I had heard that the plot would be new kids and Han trying to return Luke's lightsaber to him and I thought it sounded pretty terrible but I was kinda wrong as I thought the story more or less held up.

I understand a lot of people's issues on here. Yes it was very similar to the originals, but didn't everyone say the the prequels were too different?! Yes, Kylo Ren was not nearly as badass as Darth Vader, but that was the point. We KNOW this is the start of a new trilogy and I'm looking forward to him becoming a darker character as they progress. I too would have liked to have seen more of Poe and Phasma though. I will add that, the bit with Luke at the end felt a bit pointless to me. They should have finished it when Rey and Chewy took off in the falcon and left the Luke reveal to the next one. They also made a few too many 'on the nose' references to the originals for my liking but I'll let them get away with that.

The idea of this film is to bring us back into the Star Wars universe and I think it's done that well. It will never match up to the originals, there was magic around when those films were made and nothing anyone does in the Star Wars universe will compare, but I'm happy for them to continue trying. A lot of the action sequences, especially the dog fight stuff with the X-Wings was just great and properly took me back to my childhood. All in all I'd put this above the prequels and am looking forward to what they do next.

EDIT: Just to add about the lightsaber fighting. I agree that there is no way that Finn would have lasted as long as he did, but we did see early on that Rey had to fight for herself to survive on Jakku so had quite a few moves up her sleeve. I would also say that her way of fighting was not at all in anyway the style of a Jedi as she generally hacked and slashed at Kylo putting him pretty much on the defensive most the time. With his training incomplete and her general brutality in that fight, I could see how she could win.

Have they done prequels? I knwo of only Episodes 1 to 6 before this latest one?