RIP Warren Mitchell

Qualmpeddler

At the moment I'm wiping away a face full of tears as this wonderful man is family, met Warren a number of times and the last time was a few years ago at an event at BAFTA, with what I was told earlier this year at another family funeral I knew this sad news ould just be a case of when.

This is a very sad time for all the family and well, I have some great stories of his wonderful antics that will forever stay with me.

A wonderful cousin.

RIP Warren I know you're up there totally creasin up other dearly departed family members

I remember Warren Mitchell from his great work at a period in history the PC brigade did not exist like today and most people saw what was a joke. Warren will be sorely missed by many as a great actor and I know one person on here who is related to him who will no doubt be rather sad right now <<< still jealous you are related to him King

• Like 1

I remember Warren Mitchell from his great work at a period in history the PC brigade did not exist like today and most people saw what was a joke. Warren will be sorely missed by many as a great actor and I know one person on here who is related to him who will no doubt be rather sad right now <<< still jealous you are related to him King

Was always dreading this day, I knew it was gonna be soon but still does hit you when it finally happens.

Its kinda weird y'know, when you see someone famous trend on twitter and you think "Wow - very sad" and today (well yesterday now) Warren was one of the trending topics on Twitter and each and every single tweet was extremely complimentary towards him and that made me smile the fact that I know he made others laugh and smiule so much.

Not too sure when the funeral is going to be (because as is known Warren wasnt orthodox jew otherwise it would have been today) so ill be sometime soon, I have a few anecdotes that I'll be putting into an Eulogy (kinda getting used to Writing and Performing eulogies) thats if its required of me as I'm not too sure if there'll be any others in attendance whether closer family or those from the world of showbiz.

Appreciate your envy (if that makes sense) many thanks for your kind words

• Like 1

Was always dreading this day, I knew it was gonna be soon but still does hit you when it finally happens.

Its kinda weird y'know, when you see someone famous trend on twitter and you think "Wow - very sad" and today (well yesterday now) Warren was one of the trending topics on Twitter and each and every single tweet was extremely complimentary towards him and that made me smile the fact that I know he made others laugh and smiule so much.

Not too sure when the funeral is going to be (because as is known Warren wasnt orthodox jew otherwise it would have been today) so ill be sometime soon, I have a few anecdotes that I'll be putting into an Eulogy (kinda getting used to Writing and Performing eulogies) thats if its required of me as I'm not too sure if there'll be any others in attendance whether closer family or those from the world of showbiz.

Warren was from a bygone era where being PC was unheard of. If they ran his rather funny character of Alf Garnet then there would be an awful lot of complaints in today's televisual viewing audience. But back then (I was a teenager at the time), he was never done in a bad way. It was a somewhat mirror imagish view of society at that time. Warren was in a small group of actors from these shores that was part of a golden era of TV where actors and actresses grafted long and hard without the harnesses of today. I always equate it to the music scene in the 80s when I was a teenager where musicians always performed LIVE, played their instruments and did it fro the love of the music life. Fast forward to today and so many mime - and badly - use auto tune and a whole host of other things. I guess I am getting old as I approach 50, but to me they will always be the good old days of British TV. Alongside Porridge, Warren's In Sickness & In Health was in my top 10 favourite shows and still is.

• Like 1

Warren was from a bygone era where being PC was unheard of. If they ran his rather funny character of Alf Garnet then there would be an awful lot of complaints in today's televisual viewing audience. But back then (I was a teenager at the time), he was never done in a bad way. It was a somewhat mirror imagish view of society at that time. Warren was in a small group of actors from these shores that was part of a golden era of TV where actors and actresses grafted long and hard without the harnesses of today. I always equate it to the music scene in the 80s when I was a teenager where musicians always performed LIVE, played their instruments and did it fro the love of the music life. Fast forward to today and so many mime - and badly - use auto tune and a whole host of other things. I guess I am getting old as I approach 50, but to me they will always be the good old days of British TV. Alongside Porridge, Warren's In Sickness & In Health was in my top 10 favourite shows and still is.

I think its ridiculous just how politically correct we've all become but thats another rant for another day, people I know would often actually mistake Warren for actually being Alf and I know someone once approached him saying something bigoted etc, his response was how the character was basically showing those ignorant fools for who they were.

To be honest I knew someone of a certain generation who would use language that I wont repeat on here and would see most people be shocked, but as I said this person was of a certain generation where using such terms was acceptable.

That said, Warren was wonderful to be around and a very much beloved member of our family.

I totally get where you're coming from, in the 80's things were much different

Your kind words mean a great deal

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sometime back I heard that they were going to be remaking old sitcoms, and practically had palpitations when I heard they were going to be doing a one off episode of Till Death Us Do Part, I was worried about who they'd get to be in the lead role, that of Alf Garnett and was so hoping that it wouldn't be the wrong choice.

Last night on BBC Four the VERY CAPABLE Simon (most know him from The Fast Show) Day undertook the role of Alf Garnett, and straight from the get go I realised that this was by FAR the best choice, Simons look, the voice, the mannerisms, everything was just so spot on and without a doubt he did my Family proud- I certainly know my Grandma would have been happy with this.

I'm really glad that Simon Day did Warren and the role of Alf SO much justice- and yes, I have publicly thanked Simon for this. :)