our day

back from our visit to the convention - have had a great day wandering around the brilliant assortment of stalls ,unfortunately my daughter fell into the trap of buying before you look , finding the same product later for half the price , those going sunday be weary of that , highlight for her was finally getting to meet and have photo with james marsters ,she was actually shaking afterwards , definitely a good day for both of us , well done to the metropole for the way it as been arranged after the london one cancelled , i do understand that the staff have got a responsibility to the safety of stars and fans around the arena ,but a couple of them could have calmed down a bit , all in all if this convention is going to be here again i will be buying tickets

back from our visit to the convention - have had a great day wandering around the brilliant assortment of stalls ,unfortunately my daughter fell into the trap of buying before you look , finding the same product later for half the price , those going sunday be weary of that , highlight for her was finally getting to meet and have photo with james marsters ,she was actually shaking afterwards , definitely a good day for both of us , well done to the metropole for the way it as been arranged after the london one cancelled , i do understand that the staff have got a responsibility to the safety of stars and fans around the arena ,but a couple of them could have calmed down a bit , all in all if this convention is going to be here again i will be buying tickets

The Metropole simply provide the location. Showmasters run the event. If it is the volunteers helping Showmasters you can find some are not as experienced as others. If it is the hotel staff, then they should onlhy be dealing with things outisde the event itself. As regards the stalls, this is very common at events and always will be. Depending on business some stall holders will no doubt have a wander to see the prices of others and reduce to get business. My first rule has always do a few laps unless it is something rare and wha I have been looking for for ages

I had a great day... There was only a few things I wanna moan about....

The Wind.. Wow where did that come from? walking to the venue it was soooo Windy, Good job I have four legs to keep me on the ground or I'll would of been blown into the Sea.. So please SM next year NO WIND. (it's not good for Camels)

second moan... Could SM please put lots of Sand down at the door.. I never saw any today cos of the wind and bad weather.. it would make me more at home if you can sprinkle some sand down at the doors.. as we are near to the Seaside. Thanks :poki:

Otherwise... Great Venue, Well set out. easy to walk around. All the crew I spoke to today were great and everyone seemed Relaxed. Great Guest selection. A pat on the back to SM for a job well done. :clap:

I think the only thing that annoyed me about the whole day (and there was a lot going on and it was all pretty fantastic so this is minor) was the cost of the food. I know it's the Hilton but £6 for some curry? £5 for a burger? £5 for a beer? It was cheaper (although rather more painful) to just not eat all day until I left the venue. Perhaps looking into the prices of food for people who are on a slightly stricter budget within the venue might be an idea next year? Other than that, it was a great day.

Thanks for bringing us into the hotel early to avoid the elements outside. The venue was great, despite it being very crowded I didn't really notice that much as everything was very well spread out.

Didn't have to wait too long for any guest, had no trouble getting VQ tickets. I thought the Showmasters crew did a great job particularly those running the photo-shoots. I had a clash with my John Hurt and George Romero, and after a quick word a nice lady let me go to the Romero shoot and come back into place for my John Hurt. It was much appreciated. Likewise one of the crew who i'm sure has a very hoarse voice today as he was screaming the calls for the James Marsters shoot to make sure everyone heard. Above and beyond.

One gripe that I had tho was with the crew member running the John Hurt queue for autographs. I had a VQ number 29 and they were calling up to 150. I was informed that he couldn't let me into the line because it was too busy and the line was moving slowly. This I totally understood and accepted. However he kept walking off resulting in OTHER people joining the line. So I again joined the line for him to kick me ONLY out. This happened about 3 times with other people joining the line - some even without VQ tickets. By the time he let me in there was a good 15 people in front of me whom he'd let through and kept kicking me off. Obviously frustrating and I was annoyed at myself that I got annoyed with him as I know they are all volunteers at the end of the day. I did feel bad afterwards because as he said he 'was doing the job of three other people' - but if you're going to restrict the end of a line this should be for everyone (remember what the back of the line looked like - in this case guy with white hair and blue top) and then tell everyone else they can't join the line. Very unfair.

I did get through in the end though. Only met a few guests - John Hurt, James Marsters, Jennette Goldstein, Leah Cairns and George Romero - all lovely and on great form. I hope you all have a good sunday at the event.

I think the only thing that annoyed me about the whole day (and there was a lot going on and it was all pretty fantastic so this is minor) was the cost of the food. I know it's the Hilton but £6 for some curry? £5 for a burger? £5 for a beer? It was cheaper (although rather more painful) to just not eat all day until I left the venue. Perhaps looking into the prices of food for people who are on a slightly stricter budget within the venue might be an idea next year? Other than that, it was a great day.

Those prices seem standard for a hotel with some hotels charging more. The only way I can see food prices being lower is if Showmasters come to some sort of agreement with the hotel which is easier said than done. I always take food to events becuase it is cheaper

Considering I didn't want to come at all (I try to attend as few events as possible at this time of year as I just want to hibernate), I had a lovely time.

The venue was well laid out, the numbers were extremely reasonable (thank you for not overselling tickets, SM!) and although it was a bit warm in places, you could feel the aircon going in most areas. I thoroughly enjoyed laying waste to sampling the Hilton's menu and cocktail list (ahem), although for those who found the hotel a bit pricey - if you go back out to Cannon Place and head down the road south of the multi-storey car park, there's an entrance to Debenhams that gets you into a shopping centre with all the usual shops and eateries. I even nipped out the other end to visit M&S across the road...

So, thanks for announcing Tom Wlaschiha, SM (he was even more adorable in the flesh, BTW). It meant I had a great weekend eating, drinking, geeking and catching up with friends instead of sitting home alone like a sad git. :D

• Like 1

My day was pretty decent. Had ealrybird tickets, so got to the venue for about 8:30 and there wasn't much of a queue ahead of me, but quickly filled up a bit more behind.

Went straight upstairs to find Carl Weathers' table, which was tucked away past the comic artist alley. Carl was running late so he probably arrived around 9:30. A couple of guys left the queue after seeing the 'boxing gloves must be personalised "to..."'. Went and met John Wagner on the way back to the main area then browsed the stalls.

Didn't seem to be many attendees about and it was really easy to move about.

Finished at about 10:55 and then went home! So in and out before even general entry holders got in!

All in all a top day, all guests were amazing, nice variety of merch and have to give a big shout out to John Wagner, my boy is just getting into comics and John happily took time to talk to him ( all the comic guests were friendly and approachable but John just seemed to have that relaxing aura). The food did look over priced but I got a hand stamp and went out for lunch then came back...and would wholly recommend that others follow suit, I mean Brighton has a wealth of eating establishments...and popping out for fresh air helps IMO

Well my brother and I travelled 5 hours Saturday evening to spend the day there today. We arrived at just before 9am to a short queue that was soon ushered in. We were into the con just afterwards. As usual we went straight to the autographs to get them out of the way. After a quick glance I realised I had made a mistake thinking Hannah Waddingham was there all weekend. Never mind, my fault.

I found Simon Callow and my brother found John Kassir and the 3 Power Rangers. Then came the massive hunt for Alan Ruscoe. I asked someone in blue who sent me one way to search. After going over every inch we could see, I went to the sales desk to ask. They sent me back upstairs to which I obliged. I then asked someone in red who sent me down a level to near the raptor shoot. Nothing. So back upstairs to another red shirt to which I'm told that her assistant had been reallocated to someone else and no one was expecting him back. None of this was conveyed anywhere, not even on the forum unfortunately so wasted a big amount of time in this search. Oh well, hopefully he'll be back at some point.

Overall not a bad day, even managed to grab an earlier train home so was happy.

Had a great time in Brighton this weekend. Well done to Showmasters in the choice of Hilton Metropole as a venue.

This event to me was like a larger version of Autographica. There was plenty of room to move around as the crowds were not huge.

I know a lot was said about the guest line up I thought it was very good. I did seventeen photo shoots with no problems and got

plenty of autographs especially from the Star Wars guests.

A big shout out goes to my friend the Camel for being my personal photographer for two days although he wasn't too happy

taking me for a ride along the seafront!!!!!!!

Looking forward to attending the next show in Brighton.

I had a crazy weekend. Managed to get an autograph from John Hurt for the kids I childmind and saw his talk which was great.

Finally got to meet and hang out with Rene Auberjonois face to face after a year of us conversing on Twitter. He was proper lovely.

My favourite photos of the weekend have to be these. https://www.flickr.com/photos/135926982@N02/shares/Vo6695

(Please mods feel free to edit this post so you can see the photos as it seems I can only post a link)

• Like 1

A huge, HUGE thank you to the Showmasters staff on the breakout room by the entrance for listening and understanding straight off the bat when I was having an anxiety attack and bringing me straight out of the melee of people. Their fast reactions and calmness saved my day (along with my friends who helped so much!) Seriously, thank you VERY much to your staff, Showmasters.

• Like 1

I attended on Saturday and had a great day. Other than a slight problem finding the entrance everything went smoothly. Was great to be able to queue up inside before doors opened at 9.

I was only meeting three guests this time (the Power Rangers) and all three of them were a delight. Happy to chat and also very entertaining at their talk.

Fantastic choice of venue, brilliant layout, air con you could feel (take note other venues) and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Looking forward to the next one.

Brilliant weekend for me, got all 9 guests over the two days. Got to spend a little more time with the guests then in London and they were all great, really chatty and friendly.

Met up with old friends, made new ones - missed my mate in Cosplay for the 3rd or 4th time. Great to see all the really well put together costumes and all the different genres as usual.

Stalls were great, plenty of space and loads to choose from, always funny to walk round and see the various price differences.

Really pleased with all the photos, all came out cracking.

More space to sit in the corridors then at London, great if you're used to it.

Nice idea letting people into the area before the show opened so they didn't get wet though my stomach didn't appreciate having to walk past the frying bacon at 09:00, knowing I couldn't have any... :crying:

Just a great big thumbs up from me and when are we getting the next one in '16 :thumbup:

Thanks for an excellent day Showmasters. I enjoyed myself.

I've been to many of your shows but this was the first time I bought photo shoots. I had a clash but Red Shirt crew members Julie and Sam helped me out and I got both shoots done in a timely manner, many thanks.

All the guests I met were great: John Hurt, George A Romero, Richard Brake, Brenock O' Connor. Alan Harris, Jenette Goldstein, John Kassir, John Cumming, Mercedes Burleigh, Tom Wlaschiha and Carl Weathers. I had great talks with George A Romero and John Kassir. I even met Jason Joiner too.

Looking forward to the next event. Keep up the good work.

Brilliant weekend for me, got all 9 guests over the two days. Got to spend a little more time with the guests then in London and they were all great, really chatty and friendly.

Met up with old friends, made new ones - missed my mate in Cosplay for the 3rd or 4th time. Great to see all the really well put together costumes and all the different genres as usual.

Stalls were great, plenty of space and loads to choose from, always funny to walk round and see the various price differences.

Nice idea letting people into the area before the show opened so they didn't get wet though my stomach didn't appreciate having to walk past the frying bacon at 09:00, knowing I couldn't have any... :crying:

Just a great big thumbs up from me and when are we getting the next one in '16 :thumbup:

I saw you there! I was crewing on the Sales Desk on the Sunday when you were talking to my pit boss, but you didn't hear me when I called you! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

For me it wasn't that crowded at all. There were some moments where people gathered in big groups, but other than that it was ok.

The only thing was the floor plan and signs, but nevermind, I found everything.

I didn't eat or drink for the whole weekend which wasn't good choice as I suffered a massive headache on Monday.

My biggest idiotic thing was that I didn't realize that Sophie Aldred was there only on Saturday and I was looking at her sitting all by herself by the table (well with people from SM, but I mean fans) and I didn't get her autograph thinking that I'll do that on Sunday. Silly me!

I have also one big thing as well. The prices of autographs. I mean I know that John Hurt is big star, but come on! 45 quid for a single signature? That totally put me off and didn't go to him at all. I am wondering why some people are so expensive.

Also some attitude of younger stars/guests. They should totally learn from their older collegues as I saw John Hurt was talking to his fans and so was James Marsters and Colin Baker was incredible and even made me sing. But some younger actors were, well maybe not rude but were acting like they were sitting there as a punishment or something. I won't say who it was, but I didn't get the best impression when I met this person.

RoryMcGarrett
With respect to the younger stars / guests (or any of them), it might be worth considering just how daunting a prospect it is to sit in a room and have people coming up to you who's entire knowledge of you is based on a single character or performance, and trying to ensure that you meet whatever expectation they may have.

As such, it may be a little unfair to compare them to long experienced convention guests, roughly equivalent to wondering why the guy making his league debut doesn't look quite as confident or polished as the guy who's played for 10 years.
It's also worth considering that they may have been just having a bad moment, like we all do from time to time.

I saw you there! I was crewing on the Sales Desk on the Sunday when you were talking to my pit boss, but you didn't hear me when I called you! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

It must have been the crew shirt - That and I was doing the walk of shame as I had screwed up on a ticket... Sorry I missed you, hope your day was just as fun. :WAVE:

RoryMcGarrett
With respect to the younger stars / guests (or any of them), it might be worth considering just how daunting a prospect it is to sit in a room and have people coming up to you who's entire knowledge of you is based on a single character or performance, and trying to ensure that you meet whatever expectation they may have.

As such, it may be a little unfair to compare them to long experienced convention guests, roughly equivalent to wondering why the guy making his league debut doesn't look quite as confident or polished as the guy who's played for 10 years.

It's also worth considering that they may have been just having a bad moment, like we all do from time to time.

You didn't understand me. i don't expect anyone to be all rainbows and sunshine. I went to the table, said "hi" the person first waited for me to pay then when i repeated my hello and asked how the person was, they replied "do you want me to write your name or just my signature?" and that was it. at this point i just wanted to take my money back and say "don't bother"