Guest Cancellation - TOBY SEBASTIAN

Guests can be announced any time up to the event.

And whilst we appreciate the constant rhetoric, it doesn't help satisfy those who watch their paid-for guests tumble from the lists a week before the event they've paid good money for (plus hotels, travel etc etc). I know this is an age old point that gets brought out every time this happens, and this is in no way a dig at you, per se, David, but these robot like response to people's genuine grievances about last minute gluts of cancellations doesn't help to appease the upset masses.

And before people come on here and say 'well this always happens ... enjoy it for the event not the guests' etc, that's all well and good, but let's be totally honest here, people book on these events, 9 times out of 10, for a particular guest or set of guests, not just for 'a nice day out' or to meet like-minded people.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say my piece, hope it's allowed and won't be deleted / I won't get buried under a hail of abuse! Thanks :angel:

• Like 4

Well what do you think would be an appropriate response then that "satisfies" people?

If you're expecting "we're negotiating with Sean Bean, Peter Capaldi and have also sent out an offer to Hugh Jackman" - sorry, that isn't going to happen. SM will not post names they're negotiating with.

"Guests negotiations are always ongoing, but there is no way to be 100 percent sure if a contract will be finalized before the event" maybe? Phrased differently, same gist. SM certainly try, they always do. They're not ignoring shows on purpose like it's coming up here again and again. But no matter how you phrase it, it always comes down to what David posted: "They're trying, but no promises."

In terms of what could be said to satsify? A general apology, or any sense of empathy might be a good start. Please notice how neither the original post, or the response contain either. Especially when this is third cancellation. Today.

Edited by mckee74
  • Like 5

The period immediately before any show is bound to be the period where things change in working actors schedules that prevent them from attending. It is never a decision taken lightly. Everything is done to try to ensure that this is obviated but sometimes it is simply just not possible.

In terms of what could be said to satsify? A general apology, or any sense of empathy might be a good start. Please notice how neither the original post, or the response contain either. Especially when this is third cancellation. Today.

You generally find announcements like this contain words liek unfortunately, or sorry to announce etc. However, with the work being hectic in the day before an event I feel any polite announcement works. Even more so if it gives more time for Jason & Co to try to sign replacement guests. I see it as pluses and minuses.

Why is it always Cardiff (or why does it always feel like Cardiff) that gets battered with cancellations? :(

It is always the event someone goes to that feels like it is always them. You get the people who only go to London say the same. It just feels more personal as it is the event you go to.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A lot of people always wonder whether there's a cut off date to get guests etc, and that's why the standard answer is that they can be announced any time up until the event. That's just fact.

Sorry if there was a 'lack of empathy' or whatever someone seems to think there was - not the case. I always feel bad about it but sadly there's nothing I can do about the cancellations. They're always possible.

Well what do you think would be an appropriate response then that "satisfies" people?

If you're expecting "we're negotiating with Sean Bean, Peter Capaldi and have also sent out an offer to Hugh Jackman" - sorry, that isn't going to happen. SM will not post names they're negotiating with.

No - but copying and pasting a response from the SM book of robotic responses isn't helpful either ... neither is a response full of sarcasm to the people who are forking out money hand-over fist for these events. People don't want a list of names, equally they'd like a bit more of a 'real person' approach, even if that was 'we're so sorry about this but another person has cancelled', I see no such response in the first post, just 'he aint coming, you'll get your cash back'.

Yes, I full appreciate that people can and will cancel up to the event, it happens, but equally I think SM should appreciate that, having seen (I think) 3 cancellations today, a few yesterday and a few more the days before that, that people are rightly going to feel let down, out of pocket and that they have the right to more of a response than 'well what do you expect' ...

Edited by Carlosreddevil

• Moderators

It is helpful because, as I said above, often people wonder if there's a cut off date for guests being announced.

I get asked at least a few times a day if there are more guests coming etc. You can't give an in depth response to every single one - sometimes you just have to state the facts, although for whatever reason here it's caused some kick off.

No - but copying and pasting a response from the SM book of robotic responses isn't helpful either ... neither is a response full of sarcasm to the people who are forking out money hand-over fist for these events. People don't want a list of names, equally they'd like a bit more of a 'real person' approach, even if that was 'we're so sorry about this but another person has cancelled', I see no such response in the first post, just 'he aint coming, you'll get your cash back'.

Yes, I full appreciate that people can and will cancel up to the event, it happens, but equally I think SM should appreciate that, having seen (I think) 3 cancellations today, a few yesterday and a few more the days before that, that people are rightly going to feel let down, out of pocket and that they have the right to more of a response than 'well what do you expect' ...

I understand what you are saying about sarcasm etc, but Queen Sindel is not like that and it is more than likely you caught her on a bad moment. I have seen the moderators get soem serious stick on here and sometimes the politeness may wobble a bit. Queen Sindel is a major fan girl and she is also been very helpful to many people.

I also agree with the out of pocket etc comments, and I do know that instances like this are taken on board and things changed or modified. But, it still sucks for you and I just hope you have a good time at the event.

It is helpful because, as I said above, often people wonder if there's a cut off date for guests being announced.

I get asked at least a few times a day if there are more guests coming etc. You can't give an in depth response to every single one - sometimes you just have to state the facts, although for whatever reason here it's caused some kick off.

I appreciate your reply David and this is in no way directed at you as an individual, more the overall tone of the posts.

We've had 5 cancellations in 2 days, with a handful of days until the event (when guest number seemed on the low side anyway and we'd had some other guests cancel/be moved to other locations earlier on) and the responses from showmasters are:

"Due to work commitments Toby Sebastian can no longer attend Cardiff. Photoshoots will be refunded later today"

"Guests can be announced any time up to the event."

I'm sure you can appreciate that the seemingly lack of any real sense of caring for fans upset beyond "your money will be refunded" will get people's backs up.

Anyway, not wishing to continue the debate any longer, I just really had to add my debate to this open forum as I feel for those losing out, not just on money, or missing their favourite celeb, but also having booked time off work, away from families etc etc to be left feeling left down.

I understand what you are saying about sarcasm etc, but Queen Sindel is not like that and it is more than likely you caught her on a bad moment. I have seen the moderators get soem serious stick on here and sometimes the politeness may wobble a bit. Queen Sindel is a major fan girl and she is also been very helpful to many people.

I also agree with the out of pocket etc comments, and I do know that instances like this are taken on board and things changed or modified. But, it still sucks for you and I just hope you have a good time at the event.

I appreciate what you're saying, I've seen QS post on here loads and she seems very nice, but this is a live forum where posting in bad moments makes for bad reading and unfortunate tones in messages. In the same way we, the paying guests, are often accused of causing trouble/getting angry on these threads when really we are simply upset, disappointed and/or devastated by a poor event/cancelled guests etc, it has to be expected to work both ways, surely?

Anyway, as I said above, I don't really want this to continue and cause any bad feeling, just felt that the 'little guy' (me/you/everyone else) needs his voice heard once in a while.

My reply was in no way intended to sound sarcastic. In the past there really have been users on here who did pretty much demand an in depth response how many guests had been contacted and why certain names had not been contacted. That backstory is what prompted my reply. After a growing number of "why no more guests?" posts forgive me for asking. This is just as annoying for me as it is for you, seeing other disappointed fans. If the same question comes up again and again I may ask what you are expecting - because someone may seriously be expecting just that. You just never know.

As SD and David have already said this is a really busy time for the office. They are just as disappointed as you and me, but they are trying to focus on making this up to the attendees somehow. Posts like the first one are most certainly not meant rude, they are just concentrating on different things. One great last minute guest announcement that could turn out positively and a lot of people will be happy, right?

I understand what you are saying about "making your voice heard". But I've said it before, asking repeatedly if there will be more guests won't change a thing. That's what happens here more and more, and sadly often enough by regulars who really should know better. At the risk of being misunderstood again: SM won't announce Jenna Coleman after the 100th person asks for more guests going "ha! We only waited for one more person to ask!". They are always working on new guests until the very last day. We've had guests announced the night before a show when the opportunity came up.

I understand what you are saying about "making your voice heard". But I've said it before, asking repeatedly if there will be more guests won't change a thing. That's what happens here more and more, and sadly often enough by regulars who really should know better. At the risk of being misunderstood again: SM won't announce Jenna Coleman after the 100th person asks for more guests going "ha! We only waited for one more person to ask!". They are always working on new guests until the very last day. We've had guests announced the night before a show when the opportunity came up.

I couldn't agree more with most of what you've said QS, you're right, you can't keep answering the same 'Get some more guests/will there be more guests' over and over, but I want to make the point that my posts certainly are not about 'why can't we have more guests' simply the whole way in which messages to many upset fans seem to be being presented in this forum of late and the collective disappointment we feel from these glut of last minute cancellations (which I appreciate, again, will happen but seem to have happened in a large number over the last 2 days, days before people are due to arrive and when numbers to Cardiff seem to be dwindling anyway, making people even more upset than usual) - the 'making my voice heard' statement is about that, certainly not, nor was it ever, another 'quick sign up X, Y and Z to the con to make up for our losses' message.