Music Guests?

ezzer99

I don't know if this has been discussed before with he expansion of guests from the world of sport as well as acting, would showmasters ever consider having music stars/singers to sign autographs and do photoshoots. Music and acting is quite well connected, perhaps more so than sport. What do people think? Would it be something you would consider?

Edited by ezzer99

I think music guests could be a decent draw. But then we could have the same issue with 'why don't you get more X artist' like we do with film and TV guests.

But with me, personally, being into rock and metal bands, I can't exactly see Showmasters pulling in a band like Slipknot to LFCC, maybe Corey Taylor on his own as he has a book and another band. So it could be more individuals rather than groups/bands.

I've had this conversation on here before. Music guests are a bit of a different breed to actors. They'll do signings but usually only when they have an album or something to promote. So for them, doing a signing at a record store is a lot better than a con as they can sell the album and maybe even do a quick set. This also means all the focus will be on them, rather than it being spread over multiple guests. They would also earn more money doing a gig than a con and only have to work for a couple of hours rather than all day. I used to work in the industry and I can't say I worked with anyone who might have been interested in doing a con. Also, from SM's point of view, musicians fanbases are a lot more limited than actors. Actors work across multiple genres and have many different projects bringing in more fans.

Edited by Wrong Name

I mean, if you announced someone like Jon Bon Jovi or Slash, there would be a lot of people that are already going to the con, interested in them. As you get lots of 80s film stars, you've got the 80s music stars, so to speak. Jon has been in films and done songs for films too, same goes for Slash, he's getting into doing his own productions.

As mentioned above SM ran Musicmania in Milton Keynes a few years back. Unfortunately the calibre of guests wasn't amazing (Cheeky Girls, H & Lisa from Steps, Alvin Stardust, Paul Young, 9-11, Dane Bowers) and it didn't draw in the punters. I believe there was a music guest at the David Tennant EMS ( a lady from a metal band if memory serves) but she seemed quiet. Again, as mentioned, music acts have limited crossover appeal and if you aren't a fan then you're unlikely to pay for their autograph whereas with actors people tend to collect genres/shows and will get an autograph for completeness.

Some musicians u would also class as tv guests i.e they acted on the big screen such as Kylie Minogue or judged a TV programme such as Tom Jones.

Seems a bit of a draw as to if Showmasters will get in music guests but it wouldn't surprise me if they announced Kylie Minogue or a musician with a proper tv link i. e those who've judged on a talent show or have been a contestant and still got a great contract. Someone along the lines of Susan Boyle, but I don't know if she'd be able to put up with all the attention she would get. But we shall see, as I will keep bugging about general tv personalities on the guest suggestion threads...