show size

Yeah i understand that and totally agree that there is still away to go however in the past leading up to the event which is usually london based there is more guests announced by now

When it comes to guest announcements there is no such thing as "usually". I've seen shows where the majority of guests have been announced 3+ months in advance and others where it's been a couple of weeks. As is always stated, guests will be announced once they sign on, this can be any time.

I would be interested to know if the size of this event has been effected by the last minute venue change cos there seems to be a lack of guests to say we are 2 months out

Obviously the hotel itself will have capacity limits and these won't be as big as previous winter cons. It will probably be similar to the time they held collectormania/autographica at the NEC Hilton in Birmingham.

If you compare the Brighton hotel to the NEC Hilton, Brighton has 5000sq/m available, NEC 6000 sq/m.

Edited by CelticRob

I would be interested to know if the size of this event has been effected by the last minute venue change cos there seems to be a lack of guests to say we are 2 months out

Convention and signing events in the UK have changed over the past ten years. More industry workers are willing to come, but the fact that they are so many means they are only able to sign on the dotted lone nearer to the time of the event.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmmmmmmmmmm my initial query still stands

If you speak to any event organiser about arranging an event of any size, and also if they are willing to discuss the finer points of arranging said event, you will more than likely get the response that everything is relevant to supply and demand. This includes if an event is new, the size of buildings/venues avaialble up against availability of guests and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Any decent organiser will sound out guests for any potential event to see their availability whilst already having an idea of what buildings are on the table, what can be fitted into the venue, local facilities and transport etc.

And once that is done it is just a case of offering contracts, waiting for acceptance and then returning of the signed contract.

From a financial point of view, it is not feasible to run a large venue in a new city/town without any history to know if people will come. Some of the big events you see now in Milton Keynes and London started off small and grew year on year.

We could be looking back in 10 years and comparing the changes to see a massive growth in this event. It is all about patience for the initial event and any comparison to London is often not worth it as some guests who attend London will be combining it with other work in the area, or the fact international travel is at hand so easily compared to Brighton.

If you speak to any event organiser about arranging an event of any size, and also if they are willing to discuss the finer points of arranging said event, you will more than likely get the response that everything is relevant to supply and demand. This includes if an event is new, the size of buildings/venues avaialble up against availability of guests and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Any decent organiser will sound out guests for any potential event to see their availability whilst already having an idea of what buildings are on the table, what can be fitted into the venue, local facilities and transport etc.

From a financial point of view, it is not feasible to run a large venue in a new city/town without any history to know if people will come. Some of the big events you see now in Milton Keynes and London started off small and grew year on year.

I think it's a valid query, considering the wording of the original move - For this year's Film and Comic Con Brighton, we plan to run as we were intending for LFCC Winter - so perhaps London was always going to be on the light side too. It's not a bad line up for me, personally.

I think it's a valid query, considering the wording of the original move - For this year's Film and Comic Con Brighton, we plan to run as we were intending for LFCC Winter - so perhaps London was always going to be on the light side too. It's not a bad line up for me, personally.

No question over the validity, and as you say regarding the LFCC Winter show...we do not know what their plans for that were. I was merely responding to the original post with information I know from helping organise events many years ago