Time For A Change

Rather than moving to a bigger venue, could we Scottish fans not get two events a year. Our neighbours down South get several a year.

Remember there is Newcastle as well, I have been to that show twice now and it is reasonably close by for many people in Scotland. 2.5 hours on the train from Glasgow (1.5 hours from Edinburgh) - and there is even a stop in Motherwell :smile: - and very reasonable train fares if bought in advance. The arena is very close to the railway station in Newcastle.

Motherwell resident here, so that would be the train sorted anyways. I thought about going to Newcastle this year, but something came up, can't quite remember what right now though, but it came up. I always keep an eye on the Newcastle guest lists though, just in case somebody catches my eye. I admit it would have to be somebody special to get me to travel down.

I completely agree with a move to the SECC and don't think that it is a no mans land due to the amount of events that are held there, albeit parking can be expensive. The Glasgow event has been growing steadily over the past few years and I remember in the past they had to enforce a one in/one out operation at the front door due to the amount of people in the arena. I remember that day and it was a nightmare to move around and am sure there must have been some health & safety issues thrown in there as well and you had to wait until nearer the end of the day to see merchandise stalls properly. The SECC would allow for stalls to be more spaced out and allow for sectioning of the autograph and photo shoot areas and a separate hall could be used for talks to avoid congestion in the main hall when people are queuing for these. However, the layout was better this year but going by the mammoth queue that was still going on outside the arena at lunchtime I think there is a big enough following that Showmasters could move it for at least one year to see if they could afford to move it on a more permanent basis.

I go to plenty of fairs at the SECC throughout the year and fair enough there is no mobility shop to hire from but at every event I attend, whether it is a concert or an event, there are always people in wheelchairs/mobility scooters and the venue is perfectly accessible for them. It might not be pleasant for them to move around the huge crowds but they are not put off coming along because of their disability and I have seen staff look after this group of people and do as much as they can for them.

I'm afraid I'm also in the crowd that would like to see a venue change away from Braehead. My girlfriend and I have been going to GFCC since it started and our first one was in SECC when Anthony Daniels and the late David Carradine were there - lots of stalls and room for the special guests without them having to sit on top of each other. Braehead has been great and is good with the separate areas already segregated for photo shoots, plus the seating, but the event has outgrown it. Kudos to Showmasters for rearranging this year so that the guests were kept out of the way from the stalls completely, instead of some here and some there - it made it more organised imo - but as the celebrity count grows year upon year and the visitor count does likewise, there is only so much can be done with a small venue.

If a move was made to the likes of the SECC, there would be more room for more people (celebs, stalls and visitors) and talks/photo shoots/signings could be moved to a different hall from the stalls, like with the second hall in the Olympia at LFCC. It would also allow more room for disabled people and those with buggies/prams/big cosplay outfits to move about, as this kinda thing needs to be open to everyone. The SECC hosts the likes of the Good Food Show, Hobbycraft, Wedding Show, etc and the capacity is quite scary, so a bigger space and more organisation would hopefully attract more celebs. It (SECC) has been the best entertainment venue in Scotland for countless years and I think it would be a step up for GFCC. In terms of access, I would like to think disabled people and parents alike would be catered for - Showmasters staff have always been great at Braehead so I can't see a different venue changing that. SECC also has ample parking, train links, good geography in relation to city centre (i.e. access for all) and food areas, plus there are restaurants nearby. It ticks all the boxes.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just to throw a possible spanner in the works - sometimes venues simply aren't available. For example, a lot of people say "oh why didn't you move LFCC Winter to Excel" etc - yet a lot of the time there are perfectly good reasons behind the scenes as for why certain venues aren't used. Whether it's exclusivity or costs etc.

So while things do seem simple on the surface, there's often a lot going on behind the scenes making it trickier.

Just something to think about :)

• Like 1

I'm glad to see so many people agree that Braehead, as convenient as it is, is just too small. If Showmasters are serious about expansion then the SECC is the obvious choice. My friend uses a wheelchair and has been to the SECC countless times so that's not an issue.

There's no need to harp on about bigger guests, more cost because everyone knows that. The bottom line is if the show doesn't expand it'll die. I know that, for me, last Sunday was my last visit due to the overcrowding.

And once more, several don't take into consideration, that for some disabled, like myself who NEEDS a powered scooter, the SECC would just not be practical. You can't hire one from there. Of the few who don't like the fact it's getting smaller for the crowds, here's an idea - stop bloody coming and then bring your woes here! IF and its a big if, you feel that it is THAT busy it needs a move, then I'm sure it will thrive just the same with the loss of a few disgruntled! Just saying. Braehead is convenient, it's got the shopping mall with plenty of eateries to get to easily. It's got Shopmobility for those who require a scooter, and for the record, I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE using one!!!! Plus, as I was told today, yes SECC does have a few places to get food, but it's an astronomical amount of money. And as Matthewman says, I know as much as I'd love to meet the likes of Michael J Fox and Sigourney Weaver, I too would emphatically NOT pay £100 when I could get at most 5 guests for that price. If you're happy to pay that amount for one guest, then you clearly have the money to travel, so why not quit moaning about Glasgow and do us all a favour and save up and get your tush to London and let us who are happy with Braehead, enjoy the event for what it is!!!

Peace!!

Edited by mands151271

Just for the record, I've attended every single Glasgow based event since they started a long time ago. There's no need for a rant like the one above. I have always enjoyed such events and would love to see Scotland get the kind of convention it so justly deserves.

This is meant to be a forum for constructive criticism and suggestions and a move of venue is a valid one.

Oh and yes, I've also been to many events in London, having organised a few and see no good reason why the same thing can't be done in Glasgow. Oh and in case anyone wonders why I'm not organising any in Glasgow, I simply don't have the time. Let's try and keep things constructive instead of biting at anyone who criticises the status quo

I am afraid that I have to agree, there was no need for the above rant. I was also referring to mobility scooters when I was speaking about access so sorry if not clear. A move to the SECC would not isolate anyone with a disability as it is accessible to all. I am sure arrangements could be made if you enquired.

I don't think it a matter of cost coz if you can't afford it then you don't buy photographs. I have been to London twice as expense is an issue but I was there this year and as much as I would have liked to have met Sigourney Weaver, I was not paying £95 and didn't. The same applies to Glasgow, I have to save up in advance so its not about money. No one is isolating anyone from going but I do think there are safety issues cramming so many people into a small arena. Its not easy for able bodied people to navigate when so crowded never mind people in wheelchairs and scooters.

• Like 1

Good grief, I hear you. You have stated your reason for wanting the venue to remain and I understand it but I have no intention getting into a debate on equal opportunities even though I taught the subject for years. I have already mentioned my wheelchair bound friend but this is diverting us from the many points I raised, one of which was the venue. This is not a personal dig so please stop trying to make it sound like one.

Yet again . If a change of venue to the SECC is a possibility it should be explored.

A smattering of the type of guests that London & Birmingham attract

and one last thing......... a safety issue. I would hate to try and evacuate that arena last weekend in a hurry.

• Like 1

I'm not saying you haven't been making valid points. All I'm trying to say is that a possible change in venue to SECC would never t be practical for me. I've said that I need such a big scooter that it can't be collapsed to fit into a car boot and as far as I'm aware, SECC may have disabled access, but that's not the same as providing disability equipment. I'm also not sure that an independent place that hires scooters, I'm not sure how I would then get it to the venue. Red Cross I've been told expect you to pick up and drop off your hired equipment. So I'd find it really difficult to find a way to go. And hearing everybody talk about moving the venue, just upset me, with those issues in mind.

Lurked on the forum every year, but never actually got around to typing anything up.....but today is the day.....

I'm glad I am not alone in some of my thoughts about this years event. As much as I like seeing the likes of Braehead benefit from the event, I was actually a bit concerned about how crowded it was at times on Saturday (Sunday not so bad) We arrived early afternoon and thought the rush might be over but alas not, but what I was surprised at was the amount of stalls....now, I'm all for the stalls, ie signed photos, film cells, canvas prints, t-shirts etc etc....but fudge and tablet (yes yes I know they were there before), paintball? etc.......And then the guests.....down in numbers from last year, and fair enough the likes of Englund and Biehn will always draw a crowd, but as much as I love the likes of Bulloch and Prowse (of which I am big fans) but they are here every year. I have just compared our guest list to the likes of Bournemouth, and theirs is huge compared to ours....I mean BOURNEMOUTH, no disrespect but surely Glasgow can beat Bournemouth!

As for a venue....if the event continues to grow year in year out then something has to give, either the likes of you and me can't get in due to the venue being sold out, or a bigger venue would be needed. Now I know it was mentioned that perhaps a venue wouldn't be available, but surely since the Hydro opened the SECC would have more openings available, also surely if they want to encourage disabled people to attend they could bring in some scooters for the weekend for use for everybody that needs one (just like shopping centres do) It simple isn't rocket science. Overall we enjoyed the weekend, the talks were good, a few guests we hadn't met before..... though we did debate whether to actually attend when we saw the guest list.

Basically, for me, and a few other friends that attended at the weekend, it can be summed up as this........

Calibre of guests could be better, freshen it up a bit. Bit more variety....somebody mentioned Bond, that would be a winner.

Less stalls selling the same merchandise, especially stalls that don't really have anything to do with the event.

More room for attendees to actually be able to move and browse the stalls.

But, alas....I fear as long as they are making money and people show up....nothing will change.

• Like 2

This event we have is hugely popular so why are so many keen to change it? I say keep it as it is and where it is and you could expand in one of two possibilities:

1. Create another similar event at a different time of the year. I know this was tried before some time ago and was a dismal failure though obviously the popularity of the event is far greater than it's ever been, now is a good time when so many are looking for more from this event.

2. Have a second larger event as well as this event. I think this option is the best choice as it gives a best of both worlds choice for people who might like to keep to one event over the other and plenty I'm.sure who'll happily attend both.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Let's please try and keep things civil in here. We all have our different wants and needs, whether it's down to the venue or location or guest list etc. Everyone has valid points.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

Wow this thread really went nuts since I was on it yesterday lunchtime...what happened! Totally agree with David that it's not just a case of simply making the move to another venue - I do understand it depends on availability like with the special guests. Even the Braehead Arena can't be taken for granted, given the ice hockey, skating performances (or whatever you classify Disney on Ice as), boxing and wrestling that goes there. I don't envy Showmasters and the co-ordination work required for any of these events. Just going to them can be a dizzying enough experience for me!

There is no perfect solution at the end of the day that will suit everyone, so let's just hope that the majority are kept happy, whatever happens next year or two years down the line, or whenever. What I would say about the earlier comment on people that can afford to go to London and meet the 'big boys' is that it's up to each of us to choose how we spend our money. My girlfriend has been a Michael J. Fox nut (bless her) for as long as she can remember - close to 30 years I would say - and she saved up so that she could go to LFCC this year and meet her idol. She did and it made day/month/year/life but that doesn't mean she doesn't want (or isn't allowed) to go to Glasgow ever again. We were there again this year and we both enjoyed ourselves, and will be back next year, regardless of where it is held coz it's worth the effort :thumbup:

• Like 3

I didn't mean to cause trouble, all I can see is that I won't get to go again if it's moved. I understand the need for a bigger venue because yes it was crammed at the stalls. But how about compromising and giving us better varied merchandise tables but less of them and putting a one way system into place in the hall? That could make things run a lot smoother in my opinion and keep those who were annoyed at the clutter happy and those who would rather it stay at Braehead happy!

Edited by mands151271
  • Like 1

Maybe, but then surely a one way system could at least be put into place. I know my being disabled is in the minority and most probably don't give a stuff about people like me, but why should we have to stop going if it gets moved? Hardly seems fair and sounds a lot like discrimination to me, our government is bad enough for that! In honesty, if I have to stop going then so be it, but I'll be very disappointed, because it was the one big thing I looked forward to every year. Got little else to be excited about. If and I know at this stage it is just an if, SM decide to move venue, they should take people like me into consideration and hopefully implement a way where we can hire scooters just like we can at Shopmobility in Braehead. Plus I'll have to bring my own lunch as I've heard places like SECC and Hydro charge excessively for food and drink. No thanks.

Edited by mands151271

Noooo what's happened to our little group, *stops the bickering*

I actually agree with both sides here (if that makes any sense lol)

I think a venue change is badly needed, while i didn't attend this year ( :( ) it was quite crowded last year and if people are emphasising it as more crowded this year (and i have seen it has been with pictures) then it is needed.

I suffer from really bad claustrophobia unfortunately, if i can't move or struggle to do so i take a really bad panic and anxiety attack

If the crowd's are as busy as i'm hearing it was. Then i'd be really fragile at the event and wouldn't enjoy it as much as i'd like to

I also feel with the size of the event you can't get much big guests (which SM do say often that they can't get the big guests because of how small the event is) so, i think it's time for a change.

Now you do have to take in account with a change of people with disabilities, i'm sure there is place's to get a mobility scooter near the SECC / Hydro? Google could be telling lies but there's one around the corner?

Another reason the SECC or Hydro is good is because there is multiple entrances, you could easily have one for Early Bird and Standard entry, another for Purchasing on the door and another for disabled.

Also another idea is two events a year, yes this happened in the past. But this was when most TV/Movie's weren't known let alone conventions, as you can tell with the success of this event, Scotland is a great area for a convention.

Now the two events could easily be a bigger event in the Spring and a smaller event in Autumn. But the "bigger" event doesn't necessarily need to be in Glasgow, why not give Edinburgh something? It's reachable distance, giving Scotland something, It's the capital, has LOTS of venues and is REALLY big

I just feel Scotland needs that LFCC feel, obviously we won't have an event as big as LFCC for people traveling from all over the world but we could still have the big guests. Scotland only has three conventions a year, and two of them are more anime and cosplay (in my opinion anyway)

FCCG is the only Film and TV convention, it's only once a year and sometimes we don't get much.

But you must take in account of disabled people, they shouldn't suffer and miss out over their disability which they didn't opt in for. I'm pretty sure Showmasters would have this in mind if they look elsewhere

You guys should grab the opportunity of having a big Scotland Film & TV convention while you can, before someone else does.

Edited by _ItsWilliam_
  • Like 3

Wow, I've been off for two days... what happened here?

I stand by my point that a bigger venue is probably needed, but I don't think this will happen any time soon (Exclusivity etc.), so the alternative of a second show in Scotland (doesn't even have to be Glasgow) would be a fantastic option, in my

opinion.

Obviously disabled fans could still be included this way as well.

What about a FCCG in January or February? Sounds good to me, it could even be in the Braehead arena.

• Like 2