Time For A Change

I popped in on Sunday, not to meet any guests but to see if there was any memorabilia to pick up. Aside from a model maker, one guy selling unofficial DVDs and one original poster stall, it was all geared at kids. It's more of a fantasy based toy store than anything else now.

Granted there were a few decent guests but I stress A FEW. Englund is great but he's been here three times now. I keep hearing how the event will grow and bigger guests will arrive but WHEN ? From what I see the event has grown, I could hardly bloody move for the crowds. So when do we see the type of guests London and many of the other shows see ?

Oh one more thing, the arena is just too small now. It's a great location with parking and the mall but it's a freakin nightmare trying to move.

It may be that I've seen it all having attended and organised a few events over the last twenty years but I remain unimpressed so far.

• Like 1

Well, I'll repeat what I did on the topic I started called Showmasters Crew - I realise the need for a bigger venue, but if it happens, it's likely that this year was my last and if it is, thank goodness I made it big this year!

Some relevant points here (Moving arenas), but I disagree that the event was unimpressive. I had a great time and got tons of great memorabilia, no aimed at kids at all, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

It's all subjective, I suppose.

There was a bigger range of stalls this year than I've seen before - Albeit some are of questionable relevance to the target audience, I suppose if they make money they'll be back and if they didn't, they won't!
Lots of Funko Pop figures, and some good deals ( As well as the odd chancer ), and some really cool merch from the artists, crafters and makers I've been watching get more and more popular at Glasgow's local events over the last few years.

• Like 1

There was a bigger range of stalls this year than I've seen before - Albeit some are of questionable relevance to the target audience, I suppose if they make money they'll be back and if they didn't, they won't!

Lots of Funko Pop figures, and some good deals ( As well as the odd chancer ), and some really cool merch from the artists, crafters and makers I've been watching get more and more popular at Glasgow's local events over the last few years.

Those funko pop figures were everywhere lol

I bought 12 of those pop vinyl figures! Lol

Angel, Spike and Willow (Buffy & Angel)

Arya Stark, Jon Snow, Khaleesi and Samwell Tarly (Game of Thrones)

Oliver Queen (Arrow)

Barry Allen (The Flash)

King Bob minion

Rocket Racoon (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Lafayette Reynolds (True Blood)

I repeat my main gripes.

The arena is now too small for such an event despite the great location

The "excuse" for not having bigger star guests has always been the amount of attendees. The crowds are bigger than ever so why not more "big" names ?

Very little actual film memorabilia and by that I mean original posters, stills, front of house sets, lobby cards etc.

and yes.............. there were loads of "toys"

Oh and one more thing. The biggest and longest running film series ever is BOND and it's British. Many of the Bond girls live in Britain and quite a few in Scotland yet they're rarely represented here. I'd like to know why that is ?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much control SM have over the stalls. They sell the space I think, so stall owners apply and I assume it's first come first served?

I agree that it's time for a bigger venue. The SECC seems obvious as there's several halls and they can just book whatever size is appropriate. They also have the tiered seating that they can move around to create excellent talk stages. There's reasonable parking and it's easy to get to. Glasgow's transport infrastructure is reasonably sound and it's proven many times that it can host huge events (the Commonwealth games recently, and many European cup finals). I don't see why Glasgow can't be the biggest UK event outside of London.

• Like 3

Hoad on a wee minute!

The guests were still really good this year. The crowd was huge before opening on Saturday, both the prepaid and non. It continued to be busy until I left about 1pm. Michael Beihn was a big attraction, as his que was huge every time I passed it, and so was Robert Englund's que. despite it being his third time attending.

I took my 6 year old son with me. It was a joy for me to have him meet Jeramy Bulloch, who I have met several times at various events. He was so very nice, and was great at talking with my son. I would love to have him attend every year! I was a bit surprised at David Prowse not doing pictures, but fair enough. I still love that guy too.

Yeah it was busy, so maybe they could think about opening up another door somewhere to allow easier access in and out. Let's not go to the no mans land that is the SECC.

• Like 2

Much much bigger in line with London? Would mean my not being able to attend. I'm disabled and can't move around easily. This year I could hire a scooter from Shopmobility. I won't have that at SECC - so SM would have to take their disabled fans into consideration when thinking of a new venue and yes, I know many of you probably don't give a crap about the disabled, but why shouldn't we get allowed to attend?!

Edited by mands151271
  • Like 1

The SECC has several options.

You have the huge hall that is Hall 4. You then can join on with Hall 3 or Hall 5. You also have the long foyer and halls on the other side.

There is nothing wrong with the Braehead Arena. Looking over the water where Robert Englund was based was beautiful.

Edited by alistairw

Mands has a good point there. It would be unfair to completely alienate all the disable fans of these events. If SM are considering a move, they will have to (or should) take this into account. I'll certainly be one of the ones raising that point if the issue comes up.

That being said, a move is necessary at this point, in my opinion. It was hard to move at times this year, and I can't see myself going to any more events where it's even more crowded - I had a great weekend, but it was uncomfortable at times with the volume of people in a relatively small arena.

Plus, bigger venue means bigger guests, which is always good.

• Like 1

Jakers thanks for understanding my point - and I totally know where you are coming from. I agree that a bigger venue is probably needed now. It was pandemonium in the arena where the stalls were. It was bad enough on a mobility scooter, so it had to be even harder on foot. So I do realise the need for a move, I just hope that SM do take into consideration their disabled fans and try to get a location that can be easy for disabled fans to be able to get around easy and be able to hire mobility equipment if necessary and in my case, it's definitely necessary. Jakers, love your photo with Daniel! :wub:

• Like 1

Oh and one more thing. The biggest and longest running film series ever is BOND and it's British. Many of the Bond girls live in Britain and quite a few in Scotland yet they're rarely represented here. I'd like to know why that is ?

Any chance of an answer ?

Any chance of an answer ?

The mods are not involved with guest bookings, so we can't answer this. The better way to try and get an answer is to e-mail Showmasters directly. They don't generally comment on negotiations though, so you might not get an answer you'll be happy with.

Bond girls don't see to be appearing that regularly for SM in general anymore though. A few years ago the number seemed way larger to me.

This was the third consecutive Glasgow event I've attended, and I have to admit I was in two minds about attending due to the guest line-up.

There's no question for me that Robert Englund was the biggest name at the event, and while he still proved very popular and extremely welcome it's a shame that your biggest attraction is someone who's attended twice before (as already noted).

It's possible that we're now all too aware of the amazing guest lists that Showmasters manage to put together for London, and that anything arranged for Glasgow is going to pale in comparison.

And the fact attendance seemed to be as good this year as ever probably proves that there's not really any incentive or need for Showmasters to up their game.

So while I'm ultimately glad that I went at the weekend, I can't help but wish that there was a greater diversity and richness in the line-up, and will be keeping my fingers crossed for a better showing next year.

Desk

• Like 3

I went on the Saturday and had a good time. I had an early bird ticket but I only arrived at Braehead at 10:00 (I went for a haircut first and the queue at the barbers was a little longer than anticipated…) but I was surprised I didn’t have to queue and could just walk in. It seemed really quiet at that point. The bigger guests were now upstairs which was a good move as there is plenty of room for a long a queue, I don’t think VQ’s were handed out this year? I met Amanda Wyss first and waited in a long queue for Robert Englund. By the time I had my autographs I went back into the main arena and by that time the standard entry ticketholders had arrived and it became really busy quickly.

To be honest I thought it was great how well all the talks were attended but it became a bit difficult to browse the stalls. Nevertheless I do not think it was too busy, I do not think the event was sold out as tickets were still being sold quite late in the afternoon. There seemed to a few bottlenecks, in particular near the entrance. Perhaps it is possible to make some improvements there, I do not think that on the whole it was overcrowded. I have to say I like Braehead. It is really convenient for me, but as a Braehead Clan season ticket holder I may be biased ;-)

To be honest, I do not think we will see many more or bigger guests at the Glasgow show in the near future. As pointed out by someone else, these events are very well attended now, I think we cannot grow much more, nor do we need to probably as far as the organisers are concerned. The London show in July is the big one now. If you are looking for that calibre of guests you will probably have to go to London. I know the travel etc. will cost money but if you are happy to pay £95 for Sigourney Weaver’s autograph you can probably also afford a Citylink bus to London.

The other smaller shows like Newcastle, Sheffield, Belfast, Cardiff etc. have all been very successful with same number/calibre of guests as Glasgow although regulars at all these conventions have made complaints about the guest list. To me it is very much ‘it is what it is’ as I have thought about going to London in the summer a few times but I have never done it mainly because of the horror stories about insane queues etc and the financial cost involved. I am not talking about paying for travel or accommodation but there were so many guests I would have liked to meet and some of these are charging £35, £45, £95 etc. and I am not even talking about the diamond passes.

I have been to the autumn London shows a few times (2010, 2011 and 2012) and I thought they were a great happy medium. Quite a few ‘big guests’ but not the insane crowds that visit the London show in July apparently.

• Like 4

BasG - I love what you have said. As a disabled fan, Braehead is convenient for me as I can hire a scooter at Shopmobility. I feel many who are complaining about venue size are not caring about how the physically disabled will get to attend. I think to have names like Robert Englund, Michael Biehn and Chris Judge were as high as it gets for me. I'd be happy with that and happy for it to stay at Braehead!

Edited by mands151271

One notable absence from the Glasgow events over the last few years is creative types such as directors or screenwriters.

I can recall Bond director John Glen at an event at the SECC several years ago, and it'd be great to get some of the creators of these films and TV shows involved, if possible.

London's had George A Romero, so how about aiming for the likes of him and other convention-friendly genre directors like John Carpenter or John Landis?

Desk

• Like 1

Good shout Desk. It would be great to get big names like Romero, Carpenter, Landis or Craven but also many lesser known 2nd unit directors and directors of photography who worked on big productions are based in the UK and they will have great stories to tell.

Harry Manfredini (composer 'Friday the 13th') was announced as a guest for one of the London shows I went to a few years ago but then cancelled, someone like him would be great as well.

• Like 2

Personally, I like Braehead arena and wouldn't mind it staying put for future shows. Having the upstairs area for the more popular guests is a great addition which meant that the virtual queuing wasn't required. The queues that I waited in for Robert and Michael were quite long and took a bit of time to go down. Don't think anybody was complaining too much as you could see that everyone reaching the front was getting a few minutes one-on-one with the guests and not just herded through as quick as possible. The quieter upstairs area also meant that you could have a good chat with the other folks in the queue.

I've been on the forums for a few years now, and read a few stories about the larger shows. Like how they can become full to capacity, people not getting in and even people not being able to meet/get to photos/guests on schedule. The bigger guest names also bring about a bigger fee which would result in larger prices for autos and photos. As much as I would love to meet the likes of Michael J Fox and Sigourney Weaver etc. I just couldn't justify paying £90-£100 for it. The smaller scale of the Glasgow show, I suppose is part of it's charm.

Rather than moving to a bigger venue, could we Scottish fans not get two events a year. Our neighbours down South get several a year.

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 4

Rather than moving to a bigger venue, could we Scottish fans not get two events a year. Our neighbours down South get several a year.

Remember there is Newcastle as well, I have been to that show twice now and it is reasonably close by for many people in Scotland. 2.5 hours on the train from Glasgow (1.5 hours from Edinburgh) - and there is even a stop in Motherwell :smile: - and very reasonable train fares if bought in advance. The arena is very close to the railway station in Newcastle.

• Like 1