Cosplaying in character & Also dealing with wee neds haha

Hi folks! Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Just got a wee question for you, any of my fellow cosplayers go into character if they get approached for pictures by adults or kids? Anybody ever had any children so over whelmed with your costume that they get scared?---hate it when that happens.

Also, since of the area we are in tomorrow you do sometimes get wee idiots appearing trying to cause trouble! Anybody had any altercations with some of glasgows finest at cons? In the past Ive had some of them demanding shots of my sword and if I have to go somewhere and wont stand for pictures with their brats Ive had the ned mothers going in a huff because of it and making comments haha

• Like 2

One doesn't get dressed up for nothing!

You should always get into character or else the cosplay is not complete. Dependent on what I've been wearing, I've been a loud Klingon, a cocky Spiderman and a commanding Dr Doom.

I've never found kids to be scared - rather, it's the grown ups who get nervous. The number of times I've seen kids (my own included) go up to people dressed as the Xenomorph or the Scarecrow or even a 8 food Wookie and be really excited to see them is phenomenal.

Only warning I would give is for those who get *too* attached to whatever you're cosplaying as. Once or twice I've had to gently explain to younger children that I can't give them hugs all the time but I thank them anyway.

I have also been approached by a parent with a child and the parent wanted me, dressed as Spiderman, to explain to him why he should be good and not fight with other kids. Because he wouldn't listen to his dad but he would listen to Spiderman, apparently.

With neds and undesireables, they tend to fizzle out if you don't rise to their bait. I've never had any troubles, even in Starfleet costume and I got shouts of "BEAM ME UP SCOTTY! they were always just in fun and I just waved back.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Glasgow is very welcoming. Edinburgh, bit different but they'll get used to us soon enough!

• Like 3

It's always why I have so much fun as a zombie, you have the perfect excuse to be frightening and unsavoury. Keeping in character is always the best way to deal with those people.

Had some weird encounters and unusual requests but nothing too major.

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 2

It really depends on who I've cosplayed as and who it is that recognises me. Though, admittedly, the only time I've ever actually been approached for photos is when I cosplayed as Merida. And, for a Disney character? Around kids, you've just got to keep the magic going, haven't you? I did ... sort of have an incident last year where this tiny wee girl came up to me. She wanted a picture but she was a bit terrified because Merida was standing with these two big pirates, you see. (Got any idea who that might be, Captain? :P) So, I went into character. As Merida I knelt down so I was at her eye-level, or as close to it as I could get 'cause she really was tiny, and told her that she didn't need to worry at all. Y'see, Tinkerbell had had a little word with me, and gave me special magic pixie dust that brought out a person's inner braveness and that I could give it to whoever needed it. So I was going to give some to her. She opened up after that. (Her Dad seemed impressed - asked if he could hire me to babysit)

I've also had a lassie being genuinely stunned into amazed silence because I was actually Scottish - but that was at LFCC 2014. I had just heard this voice go "Dad, Dad, it's Merida!" My friend gave me a poke in the side and showed me where the voice was coming from, so I started talking. Then...stunned happy silence, and the parent being pleased because... well, that's you given their child a really special experience. (Actually, LFCC was hilarious in general just because of the amount of times I got asked if it was my real accent. One of my friends - who I'd been going round the convention with - eventually snapped at someone who thought I was just putting it on. Also "Merida" got to shoot "Joffrey" before the Purple Wedding, so that was fun.)

So, I guess I'm trying to say that for kids? I don't mind going into character. When I'm being Merida? I'm the one they can trust and know that they can come up and get hugs (which yes, has happened) and as long as the parent/guardian is nearby it all tends to work out quite well. For kids, being in character gives them the experience of meeting whoever it is you're cosplaying as - sure, look at the photo doing the rounds of the kid who got lost at a con and only calmed down on finding "The Flash" and "Wonder Woman."

As for experiences with troublemakers... can't actually say I've had any of those. Maybe some heckling if I've had to walk a bit from transport area to convention area, but nothing too bad. Which, surprising, because I'm used to getting all sorts of taunts. But, as X-Man pointed out, Glasgow's actually quite welcoming to it all. If it's from something they recognise, you'll likely get yells that consist of a phrase connected to whatever it is you're dressed as. Edinburgh will get there, eventually.

... Sorry for rambling on a bit.

Edited by ZaraMcA
  • Like 2

I remember last year being in town with my daughter and we bumped into a group of cosplayers, one of whom was dressed as Snow White. My daughter (who was 5 at the time) ran straight over to her and gave her a huge hug and wouldn't let go. I remember apologising to the girl for the random child now attached to her leg. The girl then spent the next ten minutes answering all sorts of questions about the dwarfs and her evil stepmother. My daughter still points to the spot on Buchanan street where she met snow white.

Really love the fact that this 'stranger' took the time and really gave my daughter a great memory that she still talks about..

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 4

truth be told lyesterday was my first time cosplaying ( doll maker and yes i will point that out all the time :dance::poki:;)) nobody came up to me wich was a bit dissapointing bu ti dont really blame them but one guy who was dreased as the capaldy doctor ( i lost track of the numbers ) commented on my goggles i had to tell him who i was lol

another guy ( one of the guists ) asked me if i had just came home from work i wasent sure how to take that know he was kidding ( and he was apoligetic ) but still lol

so yea i didnt get any trouble but i do understand what you guys are saying i was looking forward to going as harly ( made up fo rit by buying a harly lego figure awsome ) but got so parranoid that i changed it kept on thinking of people jumping me and stuff but the experence taugt me who cares if people causes proplems for you for doing soemthing you love then they are the ones waisting their lives not yours

Edited by ashen
  • Like 1

truth be told lyesterday was my first time cosplaying ( doll maker and yes i will point that out all the time :dance::poki:;)) nobody came up to me wich was a bit dissapointing bu ti dont really blame them but one guy who was dreased as the capaldy doctor ( i lost track of the numbers ) commented on my goggles i had to tell him who i was lol

another guy ( one of the guists ) asked me if i had just came home from work i wasent sure how to take that know he was kidding ( and he was apoligetic ) but still lol

so yea i didnt get any trouble but i do understand what you guys are saying i was looking forward to going as harly ( made up fo rit by buying a harly lego figure awsome ) but got so parranoid that i changed it kept on thinking of people jumping me and stuff but the experence taugt me who cares if people causes proplems for you for doing soemthing you love then they are the ones waisting their lives not yours

Take it from somebody who is square built, shorter than average and with an ever expanding belly - you should never be afraid of what people think or say of your costume. I appreciate it's not always easy but you have to remember that those who make fun or jibes normally haven't got one ounce of the courage you have.

To paraphrase Joss Whedon - those who wear superhero costumes aren't wearing it for the sake of it. They are making a statement, they are declaring that they believe in heroes and the capability for ordinary people to become more than they are. They are telling the world they want to make a better place.

Not only that, but you're not out there yourself - you are part of a society, part of a community, part of a FAMILY.

• Like 1