London Film & Comic Con Winter - Announcement of venue change

• 2 weeks later...

As a potential exhibitor, I was a little concerned about the venue change - don't get me wrong, I love Brighton and think it's a brilliant place to hold a Con - but the short-ish notice, and the fact that I know how attendees book hotels and travel in advance as it works out a lot cheaper than booking last minute - particularly when the venue and date has been in the diary for a while - made me concerned that it wouldn't be worth my while exhibiting.

However, seeing a lot of positive response from people here has restored a lot of confidence that the venue change, whilst inconvenient for some, hasn't deterred the determined fans. I for one have been an attendee myself for many years, and only recently got into the exhibiting side of things, so it's still a bit daunting being on 'the other side'.

Brighton is a little bit trickier for me, as I'm an independent exhibitor, with my own creations on offer, rather than stock merchandise, so I try to keep the cost of exhibiting down - Olympia was good for me as I like the venue space, and I live 20minutes away in west London (and work pretty much opposite Olympia, so handy for taking my supplies in to work and then setting up across the road with no transport!). I drive, but don't have a regular car (there's not much point for where I am in London, I have transport links all over!), so I need to factor in car hire (I won't get my stall stuff all the way to Brigthon on a train, sadly), and accommodation for Brighton - but I shall endeavour, and I look forward to seeing and meeting many of you. I'm actually quite excited about a new venue, a new audience for my work and to be in a creative hub such as Brighton – It should be fun!

Its hard to understand why you move the Winter London Con to Brighton. For me its not possible to go to Brighton. The flight to london already takes 2 hours. For the last con in london a few months back I arrived on friday, went right afterwards to olympia and got in line for the con and I left on sunday at 6pm. On the airport I saw everywhere guys coming from the convention on their way home. And Im 100% sure you will lose most of the guests from outside of the UK with this step. But maybe thats the plan, maybe this shouldnt be a convention for everyone. And I guess for showmaster its cheaper to do the show there. Very disappointed.

Its hard to understand why you move the Winter London Con to Brighton. For me its not possible to go to Brighton. The flight to london already takes 2 hours. For the last con in london a few months back I arrived on friday, went right afterwards to olympia and got in line for the con and I left on sunday at 6pm. On the airport I saw everywhere guys coming from the convention on their way home. And Im 100% sure you will lose most of the guests from outside of the UK with this step. But maybe thats the plan, maybe this shouldnt be a convention for everyone. And I guess for showmaster its cheaper to do the show there. Very disappointed.

If you fly to Gatwick Airport you can get a train directly to Brighton and the journey time is about thirty five minutes.

And Im 100% sure you will lose most of the guests from outside of the UK with this step.

Not even remotely an issue. Non-UK guests are more than willing to attend conventions throughout the country, so an hour south of London isn't going to put them off.

• Like 3

I live in London and because of my job cannot usually go to other Showmasters events around the country.

I am, however looking forward to going to Brighton for a change.

£10 return train ticket from London Victoria and approx 50 minutes journey time (each way) makes Brighton an excellent choice of venue, in my opinion.

Like others have said, if traveling from abroad and the UK, Gatwick Airport is excellent for going to Brighton.

And Im 100% sure you will lose most of the guests from outside of the UK with this step.

Not even remotely an issue. Non-UK guests are more than willing to attend conventions throughout the country, so an hour south of London isn't going to put them off.

I remember when I first heard of Showmasters events. That was at Collectormania 4 when the Hobbits got announced.

A friend called me "OMG Elijah Wood is doing a convention!"

Me: "When, where?"

Friend blurted out info, I went online to check... I am still pretty sure today that my first reply was: "Where the heck is Milton Keynes?" I had done a number of UK shows before, but all had been in London. For a standard German traveler MK isn't really on the radar travel wise.

Still: Less than 10 minutes later I had our hotel rooms booked - we even had to change hotels twice over the weekend because everything was booked solid. But hey, we were going to see Elijah Wood - who cares? After 10 more minutes I had flights and had figured out how to get to MK from Heathrow.

I think we're all a little spoiled by the amount of shows SM are doing in London or other major cities now. Yes, of course it is very convenient to come in the morning of the event and go home Sunday night.

Also I understand travel money is an issue for some. But if it's doable moneywise and there's really someone I'd like to see my reaction would still be pretty much the same like back then with Elijah. You can still do Brighton, Bournemouth or even Cardiff. It's not impossible, costs some extra time. But it's not like you're going camel hunting in Sudan. ;)

He does look like the sweetest man Zombiebeegee! I'll need to do some Brighton research on other things to do also, hopefully there's some nightlife for the rockers :D

No shortage of nightlife in central Brighton. West Street is busy, but a little dodgy, but there's plenty in the Lanes, on either side of North Street. You'll definitely find something for everyone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few of us had a wander around (and through) the Hilton yesterday afternoon. The halls are comfortably large enough to host a convention of this size, but I'm a little worried about how the queues outside the venue are going to be managed. There's not a lot of space out there.

A few of us had a wander around (and through) the Hilton yesterday afternoon. The halls are comfortably large enough to host a convention of this size, but I'm a little worried about how the queues outside the venue are going to be managed. There's not a lot of space out there.

Isn't there a side entrance / delivery entrance on Cannon place where the queues could go up the street?

Isn't there a side entrance / delivery entrance on Cannon place where the queues could go up the street?

The multi-storey car parks exit onto Cannon Place, which would make queuing there a little dangerous, and I suspect the entrance will be on the opposite side anyway, by the French church, but the Hilton's own car park comes out there.