London Film & Comic Con Winter - Announcement of venue change

Major engineering works are planned on the railway line into Brighton that weekend....

I've not gone to MK before because of engineering works. Other trains were available, but not from the easiest exchange point. (in my case Clapham Junction)

It's all a big conspiracy. Showmasters are obviously in cahoots with train and hotel companies and are using this flimsy excuse in a bid to make money on non-refundable tickets and bookings...

Seriously guys?

I won't mention any names or quote anyone, but there are users I notice time and time again who do nothing but complain about any change (whether slight or major) to events. I totally understand that it could spoil plans and leave you having to contact hotels to re-arrange etc, but at which point did you see *anyone* from Showmasters say "Guys, you need to book your hotels and travel NOW"?

Any travel arrangements can only be made by your decision, which leaves any re-arranging or cancellation also your decision.

Someone mentioned about music gigs cancelling only refunding tickets and not any travel arrangements - this is accepted around the world as something which isn't exactly perfect, but acceptable when there's a legitimate excuse. How is this any different?

Yes, it sucks, but it's not like it was done on purpose - the reasoning seems completely acceptable.

tl;dr - If you made the decision to book the hotel and travel, it's your dime. Only if Showmasters told you to, would you have even a half legitimate reason to complain or request recompense.

• Like 3

As someone who lives in Brighton and wasn't originally going to LFCC Winter this is obviously great for me as it's now a 10 min walk from my house! But I think it's the cost of hotels and travel that now either have to be cancelled or rearranged that have frustrated most people. London has several others cons, so if this one had been in Brighton from day one then there wouldn't be so much frustration.

It's nice for me to finally have a con on my doorstep but I agree London is more accessible for the majority than Brighton. That said, I do have sympathy with Showmasters for having to try and rearrange things when they realised they weren't going to work our at Olympia, I doubt they would have done this if a better choice had come up! Earls Court closing has screwed a lot of cons over. I was hoping to go to a major gaming con (not mentioning names :smile:) this year as I do every year and now they've moved the damn thing to Birmingham?!?! No hope of me getting there, so I can sympathise with people who feel this con has moved even further out of reach for them, especially people coming from up north where they are already travelling a decent distance to get here.

Hopefully next year once everything settles down there won't be anymore sudden change in cities :-)

P.S Oh and the engineering works that everyone is complaining about are between Brighton and Worthing/Littlehampton, so anyone coming down from London will have no trouble whatsoever!

Edited by cdmartinus

As someone who lives in Brighton and wasn't originally going to LFCC Winter this is obviously great for me as it's now a 10 min walk from my house! But I think it's the cost of hotels and travel that now either have to be cancelled or rearranged that have frustrated most people. London has several others cons, so if this one had been in Brighton from day one then there wouldn't be so much frustration.

It's nice for me to finally have a con on my doorstep but I agree London is more accessible for the majority than Brighton. That said, I do have sympathy with Showmasters for having to try and rearrange things when they realised they weren't going to work our at Olympia, I doubt they would have done this if a better choice had come up! Earls Court closing has screwed a lot of cons over. I was hoping to go to a major gaming con (not mentioning names :smile:) this year as I do every year and now they've moved the damn thing to Birmingham?!?! No hope of me getting there, so I can sympathise with people who feel this con has moved even further out of reach for them, especially people coming from up north where they are already travelling a decent distance to get here.

Hopefully next year once everything settles down there won't be anymore sudden change in cities :-)

P.S Oh and the engineering works that everyone is complaining about are between Brighton and Worthing/Littlehampton, so anyone coming down from London will have no trouble whatsoever!

Unfortunately there are major engineering works at London Bridge impacting on trains running too/from London

Apologies if I sound harsh, but booking a non-refundable hotel and travel is anyone's choice, it's not SM's duty to do anything about it or feel bad, you chose to book something that is non-refundable. Concerts, for example, can be cancelled any time, and nobody gives a damn about people's other expenses they had to pay to go to the concert. This is the same case.

When was a concert ever rescheduled by date, and months later rescheduled be 60 miles ?? And if it was, gig tickets would be refundable. People booking hotels and travel for concerts can rely on them to take place as planned.

Edited by dazbrown

Unfortunately there are major engineering works at London Bridge impacting on trains running too/from London

The trains from London Bridge to Brighton aren't really an issue as they are slower and less frequent (2 an hour) than trains running from Victoria to Brighton. Victoria trains take 52-55 mins when they are fast which run twice an hour, and 60-70 mins when they stop at a few more stations which also run twice an hour. Double the direct trains running from London Bridge, half of which are faster!

Edited by cdmartinus
  • Like 1

Apologies if I sound harsh, but booking a non-refundable hotel and travel is anyone's choice, it's not SM's duty to do anything about it or feel bad, you chose to book something that is non-refundable. Concerts, for example, can be cancelled any time, and nobody gives a damn about people's other expenses they had to pay to go to the concert. This is the same case.

When was a concert ever rescheduled by date, and months later rescheduled be 60 miles ?? And if it was, gig tickets would be refundable. People booking hotels and travel for concerts can rely on them to take place as planned.

Not 100% the same but this year's Wembley gigs for the Foo Fighters are now at Milton Keynes, meaning I can't go.

And as someone who used to work in the industry I can tell you this does happen with concerts. Not often, but it does. The same with this con really, it doesn't usually change city but sometimes does!

Edited by Wrong Name

Respectfully, I disagree.

I've travelled great distances before, only for gigs to be cancelled HOURS before they were due to start.

I've already checked into the hotel, already used my train ticket.

Is there any way at all that the band will refund me? Not the slightest chance in the world. Not going to happen.

The way I see things, Showmasters have already advised that they will refund *all* tickets for London. To my mind, that leaves it up to everyone individually whether or not to use that money to then book tickets for Brighton.

Most cancelled gigs will end with "We'll play the show on date x or y, and your tickets are still valid." If I can't make it to the re-scheduled gig, it's kinda tough. They're not going to refund me, it's up to me to make the best of a bad situation.

Edited by ptenbob
  • Like 1

2zfri9i.jpg

Takes just over 3hrs on train from reading and costs at least £35 so definitely out for me :( Shame I wanted to do my zombie schoolgirl for George A Romero!

If you change at Gatwick it takes just over 2. That's the route I used to use for Reading festival. :-)

With respect, I checked all routes on the trainline site, even putting in via Gatwick and it's over 3hrs inc 3 changes, via North Camp & Reigate and costs more! I checked on thetrainline site and tried all kinds of routes. In fact afaik even driving would take about 2hrs. I can take the train to London for £17 return and get there in about 30mins. Ah well best book my tickets for Joshcon!

I love Brighton but too far to go unfortunately, so glad I saw this first as was about to book tickets today.Parking is a mare in Brighton too went last year for a weekend its only street parking along the front and little at that from what I saw?

I do feel sorry for those who have pre-booked hotels. I cancelled Cardiff this year but I called the hotel direct and they refunded me although it was a non refundable hotel so always worth asking the hotel direct even if you book through a 3rd party.

Also If your planning to go to LFCC in the summer and likely to re-use the venue see if you can change the dates as some may let you do this. Worth a go anyway. Good luck!

Edited by buffy2k

11866355_10152981066885919_2128460501689

I've met Doris before and would recommend everyone else doing so! Glad she'll be there as I have a few more spoons from the Merlin canteen that I need her to sign!

P.S. Didn't you say there were going to be Blackjack and Hookers (I assume the rugby kind?) as well?!

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

I've met Doris before and would recommend everyone else doing so! Glad she'll be there as I have a few more spoons from the Merlin canteen that I need her to sign!

P.S. Didn't you say there were going to be Blackjack and Hookers (I assume the rugby kind?) as well?!

only if you pay for the superplatinummoneyoutyourears pass. its £4000

• Like 4