London Film & Comic Con Winter - Announcement of venue change

ive got to ask....

you're saying that the olympia wont have enough room for the con, yet you think a hotel will?

are there many hotels with halls the size of the ones at olympia?

From what Jason has said, it's not just about the room. There are other events on at Olympia that weekend and the venue is concerned that these other events will be 'overwhelmed' by LFCCW. They have also said on Facebook that the Hotel can offer as much space as was planned for London.

ok, so ive got to ask... if there are other events the same weekend then why book that weekend in the first place :S

surely the people who run/own the olympia knew how big SM's cons are getting and that the event would need a lot of room.

i also dont understnad how another event will be "overwhelmed." If people are going for the con then surely thats what they'll be there for, not to have a nose through other events.

either way, im still out.

• Like 4

ive got to ask....

surely the people who run/own the olympia knew how big SM's cons are getting and that the event would need a lot of room.

i also dont understnad how another event will be "overwhelmed." If people are going for the con then surely thats what they'll be there for, not to have a nose through other events.

Having had experience of Olympia and their staff since 2006 for non-SM-type events I can well believe this of them not to have thought of it. I'd imagine that it will also be the case that LFCCW was booked prior to LFCC being held which then brought this to the venue's attention.

ive got to ask....

you're saying that the olympia wont have enough room for the con, yet you think a hotel will?

From what Jason has said, it's not just about the room. There are other events on at Olympia that weekend and the venue is concerned that these other events will be 'overwhelmed' by LFCCW. They have also said on Facebook that the Hotel can offer as much space as was planned for London.

ok, so ive got to ask... if there are other events the same weekend then why book that weekend in the first place :S

Might not just be a question of the convention halls themselves but maybe the impact of queuing space outside the venue, impact on public transport. Not saying it's any of those as I have no idea but I suspect there could be more things that go on behind the scenes that we are not privvy to.

• Like 1

oh great!! even further to travel now!

no chance of it being moved to the midlands then??

as we don't have any showmasters events up here anymore.middle of the country as well!

oh well thats more money to spend elsewhere :thumbup:

• Like 1

• Spring Brighton Film & Comic Con

So that's the Star Wars + one right? Oh well I suppose Brighton is easier for me to get to than Manchester. Surprised a Hotel can ever be bigger than an arena though.

As for Winter, well as I was expecting to be in London for the Winter event, I planned other things around it in London. I'll still be in London, even if you wont be.

• Showmasters Admin

ive got to ask....

its to do with access , in the past we have used the venue and sometimes there has been other events in the same structure as its so large , after London summer we are gaining a lot of interest and now the venues thoughts are that we will need to use queue people around the building and other events are happing at the same time so this is not going to work for them and us at the same time , summer has shown we are getting much bigger and we need to take that into consideration more as we move on so i do understand there thought but it has given us a few headaches .

Rats! I'm going to miss James Marsters again!

Oh well I suppose the silver lining is that this saves me some money - Brighton's too far and expensive for me to get to, and I don't have any spare annual leave left to use getting there and back.

Regarding these mega events - any idea what that'll mean for the May / June Collectormania Milton Keynes for the future?

• Showmasters Admin

ive got to ask....

The venue has 10.000 + sm of space, we say it because its true :smile: , its 4 times bigger than an arena event

ive got to ask....

The venue has 10.000 + sm of space, we say it because its true :smile: , its 4 times bigger than an arena event

what is it, a hotel for giants?!

Think im with a lot of the others on here, im out of pocket on the Train and the Hotel. I'd consider going to the Brighton one but i have concerns about spending more money and it being a smaller con like the Glasgow and Sheiffield ones. Not that theres anything wrong with those con's just not as many A-list guest

• Showmasters Admin

ive got to ask....

Having had experience of Olympia and their staff since 2006 for non-SM-type events I can well believe this of them not to have thought of it. I'd imagine that it will also be the case that LFCCW was booked prior to LFCC being held which then brought this to the venue's attention.

that is totally the truth it was booked well before last year in fact and we have been trying to make it work on paper for the last two weeks but feel we need to move this over to Briton we now can close the other guests we have planed for this event now we have moved.

no one wanted this to happen but its just the situation we are all in so we make the best of it , at lease we managed to get the same date and transfer all the guests over on one go so its going to be a full on event.

• Like 1