Event Dates Swap Around Suggestion

With a few people I've noticed complaining that Glasgow has a poor line up this year comparing to last year and other locations this year, I thought of an idea. Let me just say, that for me personally, I love the line up, meeting 10 of the guests so far. But have you ever thought about shifting the dates around every year in particular for the smaller locations?

Noticed Joe Flanagan was down for Cardiff and Belfast, but they're later in the year and I would love to meet him, a bit of a bummer seeing how he pulled out of Glasgow a few years back. Just try swapping the months around? Make Glasgow October one year and the one in October moved to August etc., you get the idea. Maybe then Glasgow might get some of the guests they otherwise wouldn't? :D

Edited by mands151271

• Moderators

I really don't think it's relevant to be honest. There's no guarantee who would be available when regardless of when the events are unfortunately. It'd be nice if it were that easy but you can't please everyone with lineups anyway.

• Like 1

It was just a suggestion like I said. I did mean to add that you wouldn't please everyone all of the time, but it does seem Glasgow misses out on a lot of the big names most of the time and not just by Showmaster events, I mean in general. I begin to wonder if they're scared of Glaswegians or in the overseas guests, worried they'll be too cold! Lol :P:D

I always think it's more of a logistics thing, since there isn't many other events or other work they might be involved in that's around the area, it simply makes sense to keep a schedule that doesn't mean too much long distance travelling that and I don't think Glasgow gets a hard sell quite like the bigger shows, the bigger the name the more people they would expect to show and those kinds of numbers only really happen with a much bigger area.

I think all the shows would work much better with a specific team focused on that event and no other, also trained staff for each event would make a massive difference instead of volunteers. There's a lot of things that could definitely push these events to be a whole different level, though obviously cost is a huge factor in that.

• Like 1

I'm more than happy with this years guests. I'm meeting 10 out of the 24 and that's the most in one ComicCon event I've ever met. I was really saying what I did due to the complaints I've read recently.

That being said if Joe Flanagan was suddenly announced for Glasgow, I would be completely won over. They're definitely not going to please everybody all of the time, I know that. I think what's getting to people is that Glasgow was said to be getting bigger and better each year, but overall, less this year than last.

Regardless, I'm happy either way! :D

Edited by mands151271

• Showmasters Admin

The date dose not matter as we could change a date and then the guest could still not be available , so its pot luck at the end of the day , as to guest line up o think this years event is strong , we will get people saying like every year the guests are not like the London show , but no event is like the London show, the venue there is one of the largest venues in the UK and as such we can book the bigger guests as the building can take the crowds .

hope that helps

jason

• Like 2

The date dose not matter as we could change a date and then the guest could still not be available , so its pot luck at the end of the day , as to guest line up o think this years event is strong , we will get people saying like every year the guests are not like the London show , but no event is like the London show, the venue there is one of the largest venues in the UK and as such we can book the bigger guests as the building can take the crowds .

hope that helps

jason

I understand that London is a bigger place/venue and can pull in bigger names and trust me, if I weren't disabled with crippling arthritis and a few other health issues, I would be attending the London event as well as Glasgow. I know it's down to when the guests can attend and as I said, I'm happy with thIs years line up for Glasgow to be fair. I just wish I could travel to meet more, but sadly these days I can't. I have to stick to home turf. I still wish Joe Flanagan was available for Glasgow after he pulled out a few years ago. I can't even travel to Belfast. Thanks for the response though, I appreciate that. :D Edited by mands151271
  • Like 2

Yeah I know, but I can't travel due to disabilities, at least, I can't travel easily and definitely not alone. But I'm happy with th s years line up to be honest. Meeting 10 of the guests. Lol

I really like this year's line up too,I've always wanted to meet Michael Biehn and I'm a big stargate fan and looking forward to meeting Christopher Judge,Iam a horror fan too i can't wait to meet Amanda Wyss I'm getting her and Robert Englund to sign my Freddy doll :-) I like the lineup this year I think it all depends on what tv shows and films people are into :-) Edited by carnosoul
  • Like 1

Yeah I know, but I can't travel due to disabilities, at least, I can't travel easily and definitely not alone. But I'm happy with th s years line up to be honest. Meeting 10 of the guests. Lol

I really like this year's line up too,I've always wanted to meet Michael Biehn and I'm a big stargate fan and looking forward to meeting Christopher Judge,Iam a horror fan too i can't wait to meet Amanda Wyss I'm getting her and Robert Englund to sign my Freddy doll :-) I like the lineup this year I think it all depends on what tv shows and films people are into :-)

That is totally what it comes down to! I've seen some of the Freddie films and love Robert Englund, but more for his goofy character in the original TV series V. I didn't even think about meeting Amanda Wyss as I wasn't aware of her role in the Elm Street franchise. Maybe I could be a glutton and add her to Sunday's list! :D lol

• Like 1

I really like this year's line up too,I've always wanted to meet Michael Biehn and I'm a big stargate fan and looking forward to meeting Christopher Judge,Iam a horror fan too i can't wait to meet Amanda Wyss I'm getting her and Robert Englund to sign my Freddy doll :-) I like the lineup this year I think it all depends on what tv shows and films people are into :-)
That is totally what it comes down to! I've seen some of the Freddie films and love Robert Englund, but more for his goofy character in the original TV series V. I didn't even think about meeting Amanda Wyss as I wasn't aware of her role in the Elm Street franchise. Maybe I could be a glutton and add her to Sunday's list! :D lol
Go on :-) I would totally add her lol :-)
  • Like 1

love the lineup this year. Only going on the Saturday. Planning on meeting at least 6 guests. Especially Robert and Amanda. Gonna get my noes bluray signed. Also looking forward to meeting Grado :)

People who met her at the Sheffield con said she is one of the loveliest guests they have ever met,she took her time to talk to everyone :-)
  • Like 1

I totally am! :D
  • Like 1

I totally am! :D
Awesome :-)
  • Like 1

I'm not sure swapping the dates around would work, but I totally get where you're coming from.

I think it wold be a bigger help if we could move the event to a bigger venue. Braehead Arena is great, but it's not suitable for the large crowds needed to attract big guests like Joe Flannigan.

I'm not sure if Showmasters realise, but we actually have two appropriate venues here in Glasgow, not far from Braehead in the Hydro and the SECC. Each wold dramatically increase the attendance capacity and therefore, bigger guests could be booked.

If SM want to grow the Glasgow event, I'd suggest starting there.

• Like 2

I'm not sure swapping the dates around would work, but I totally get where you're coming from.

I think it wold be a bigger help if we could move the event to a bigger venue. Braehead Arena is great, but it's not suitable for the large crowds needed to attract big guests like Joe Flannigan.

I'm not sure if Showmasters realise, but we actually have two appropriate venues here in Glasgow, not far from Braehead in the Hydro and the SECC. Each wold dramatically increase the attendance capacity and therefore, bigger guests could be booked.

If SM want to grow the Glasgow event, I'd suggest starting there.

I'm happy with this years line up, I was asking due to complaints of others. But what you suggested about the SECC in particular, is a fabulous idea!!!! So long as I could hire a scooter mobility one for the event, I'd be up for that event. That said, Joe Flanagan was due at Glasgow a few years back and he cancelled. Chris Judge has come and he's a Stargate king! Lol
  • Like 2

I can understand ShowMasters not taking the jump to a bigger venue until they know for sure it's a viable option, obviously arenas like Hydro cost a lot more, so they would need to ensure that it's worth the risk. The geek culture in Glasgow has been growing very strongly in these past few years though as I'm sure it's not gone unnoticed that more and more people know of and go to this event. I'm really hoping GFCC sells out this year to really show how much more interest in these things there is in Glasgow.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong I would hope this show stays as it is, nothing is stopping ShowMasters making a bigger venue separate from this one.

You mean, to have their Braehead Arena one and then a secondary one at a bigger venue such as SECC? That might be a better idea, at least then disabled people like myself and the few others I saw on scooters, could still hire one through shopmobility and get their kicks with guests, but people who want the bigger adrenaline rush can go to the bigger venue... I actually like that idea! :D