Amatuer autograph collector

kolaxanthe

Hi,

I've been to Autographica a few times before and got some great photoshoots, but only now is the idea of getting a few autographs beginning to appeal to me (I say a few, but I get the feeling this is not going to end soon and will become an obsession).

I was wondering what is the best way to preserve your autographs, especially when you are at the event running around with several pieces in your possession and then trying to get them all home so you can put them in a safe place or get them framed.

At previous Autographica events there has been a table selling Timecare Polyester Pockets, which I keep my photoshoots in, with a sturdy cardboard box to keep them safe. Are these Timecare pockets also sufficient for preserving autographs? Is that same table going to be at this event too.

Any tips will be great.

Cheers.

If we're thinking of the same thing then generally I think those archive pocket things are the best things that you can get for storing autographs in. They certainly have been at autogrpahica in the past but it's never certain which dealers will be at each event. For the events themselves, I tend to take one of these along:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-black-40-pocket-a4-display-book/744935

Always seem to keep things safe and quite easy to get pictures out and put them back again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks 18blue78. I think that is the guy I was talking about, and according to the website he'll be at Autographica in September. I'll definitely have to have a chat with him and buy some pockets before I go and grab my autographs. Cheers.

As above, Nick died yesterday . if anyone didn't know he started out selling autographs ( Frank was his dad who started the business) before moving into storage items.He'd been ill for many months but tryed to keep going as long as he could.

Edited by loveamyadams

Thanks 18blue78. I think that is the guy I was talking about, and according to the website he'll be at Autographica in September. I'll definitely have to have a chat with him and buy some pockets before I go and grab my autographs. Cheers.

As above, Nick died yesterday . if anyone didn't know he started out selling autographs ( Frank was his dad who started the business) before moving into storage items.He'd been ill for many months but tryed to keep going as long as he could.

I'm really sorry to read this - Nick was a nice guy and regular at a lot of SM events. He could always be counted on to come to the rescue when you had just acquired an autograph without having planned how to safely get it home! RIP Nick

This is really sad to hear. He was so helpful at a previous Autographica even I attended, and I was looking forward to meeting him tomorrow and getting some very much needed helpful advice. Thanks for letting me know. My condolences.