Astronaut photos for signing

kolaxanthe

Do the astronauts [and other guests] provide photos for signing as part of the autograph fee? And do we know what these images are before the event?

I recently went to another autograph show where they had free photos to choose from, but I was disappointed with the choice of images. If I'd known beforehand I would probably have ordered a photo from somewhere else.

Any such information would be great.

Cheers.

Like all other Showmasters events the 8x10 image is free and included in the price. Unfortunately "preview images" of what will be avaliable on the day have never been published so my suggestion is if you're after a particular photo best to source it yourself just in case.

• Like 1

Just as an FYI on this topic all NASA images are free of copyright (and their human spaceflight gallery is pretty much the most awesome place to find images). Once downloaded you can get some great deals on prints. I've just picked up a 14x11 print of Rusty Schweickart's Apollo 9 EVA for just £6 that is different then the standard 'photo from inside the LM' that is normally available for him to sign.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, and thanks Composer [Count Fooku] for the link to Apollo images (is there one for the shuttle too?). The images I have finally decided on are actually also available from Moonpans. I will definitely need to get my Partial Panorama of Ed from Moonpans, so I'll get my 10x8 photos for Bruce and Rusty there too. Are they quick to deliver?

I'm still undecided about an image for Buzz to sign - for +£350 it has to be something good and not a rushed decision. Currently a canvas print of Norman Rockwell's First Steps on the Moon is my preferred choice, but I'd be ordering from the US if I do and I can't guarantee it will turn up in time. Can anyone recommend a UK canvas printer that would do a good job of that image? However, I don't think I can afford a Buzz autograph at this time anyway, especially on top of what I know I definitely want (how much is Ed's autograph?). I met Buzz last year and we got a great photo together, so I won't 100% regret it if I don't manage to catch him again in the future.

Cheers.

Edited by kolaxanthe

2 things to bear in mind....

Compared to today, where camera's in one form or another are everywhere and millions of pictures are taken on a daily basis, there's surprisingly few Apollo astronaut photos taken during the missions and so there's only a finite number....you'll tend to see the same photographs over and over, just in different sizes!

Second, I'd strongly advise printing out your own photograph and taking it along, that way you know what you're getting. For example, for Buzz there's 3 famous ones - on the moon facing Neil, one stood by the LEM footpad, and one inside the spacecraft looking at the camera putting a pen in his suit. Oh and for 350 quid, I'd print quite a big picture out for him to sign (as long as he doesn't charge more!)

Drop me a mail if you (or anybody) needs any hi res pictures.

I would recommend one of the following images with these NASA serial nos.

• S-69-63724 (WSS photo with Buzz to the right of frame holding LM model and looking at an image of the moon). A cracking pic with lots of room for signature, dedication etc. over the moon image)

• AS11-40-5903 (the famous "visor shot" with Buzz on lunar surface reading from his cuff checklist). One of the most striking photographs of the 20th century.

Sorry I can't post links but you can find them easily enough. You can buy reprints of these and other photos or even original NASA lithographs.

I don't want to mention specific sites in case I breach forum rules.