why did this happen

I have been going to these events for many years now. I enjoy the people the locations, the stars and all the people in costumes.

I was recently at the Milton Keynes event, and I saw the guy who dresses as wonder woman for the MD charity. I have seen him at other events but this time I went up and talked to him, very nice guy, loves his family, does lot of charity work. So we talked and became friends, you should try it.

So now its the Big London event, huge show, some teething problems but still great.

I went looking for friends and there he was at the SYFY stand, in queue, waitng to have his photo done, well someone would walk out, pose, picture taken ,applause ,off they went, this happened for every one, Wonder woman walks out gets laughed at, photo taken , no applause just more laughter, no one else was laughed at. Off he went wth his wife, I tried to catch up but the crowds were thick in places. I saw him taunted and laughed at several times, the dr who group where not nice to him at all. I eventually caught up to him, he was looking for a place to change, we talked and off they went

It has taken several email and calls to get him to keep going with the charity collections,

The following week end he went to a music festival, in the same costume, no one was laughing at him he raised 547.29 in 6 hours

this last week end he did a collection at a supermarket close to where I live, so I decided to join him for a while and help him, Into the store I go there he is the same costume, staff and customers everywhere, he is talking to a man woman and small girl, questions are going back and forth, When I stop next to him I realise the family he is talking to is David Cameron and family with security team.

Let me tell you a few things about him

He has raised over £2200.00 pounds since January

he has raised over £14000.00 in 4 and a half years

he has lost 17 stone in the same time period

he received a community champion award last November from Sue Barker

on the official Muscular dystrophy web page he has his own page on their

He is fully booked every week end this year for fund raising for 2 separate charities

Next time you see him just say hi, don't be like some and laugh at him

I Cosplay you should contact him and talk to him

I hope this doesn't happen again

• Like 8

Because *puts mod cap off* some people are idiots. *puts mod cap back on*

I saw him too but it was too crowded to get to him and make a donation like I had planned to. :(

As defender said, nobody should be ridiculed for their choice in costume, and even more so if they're doing it for a good cause.

• Like 1

I totally agree. I was lucky enough to be near enough next to him and his wife outside in the queue and was really impressed with him and enjoyed the chat we had. He gave a lovely charity pin for the donation given which I wear with pride.

I'm assuming he was laughed at because he was dressed as a female character?

If so, what the heck?

Have these people never heard of genderbent cosplay? I don't think I saw this particular person but I did see a lot of male Daenerys cosplayers, and quite a few other genderbent cosplays that no one seemed to bat an eyelid about. Very shocked and disappointed to hear that con-goers would treat somebody like this.

• Like 1

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you I have been waiting for a few friends to get back to me about this

I asked around after wonder woman left , a whole lot of stall holders where upset that he left, they all had nice things to say about him, the ones who saw the taunting and "bullying" where very upset about it, all my friends had nice things to say about him, so did several crew members that I know where upset about the events that happened

As for his costume he has lost a lot of weight, everything he had was donated or made, I think he looked quite good for what it was and what he was wearing and there was a lot of mixed sex costumes. And im sorry but he did look better then most with out going over the top. He dresses as wonder woman and snow white at the charity collections because they are recognised by everyone.

Queen Sindal-- he would really love to meet you, has wanted to meet you for a while, he says you have always been fair to him and he wants to say thank you he will be at the Cardiff event in October

He goes by the name of superwondergirl on this site, so some of you may know him.

I plan on meeting him at the Cardiff event, I think he may be a bit nervous about it due to last time, if you know him or want to meet him please go up and say hi. I would like to see him made to feel welcome, to enjoy the event again

Thank you

I'm assuming he was laughed at because he was dressed as a female character?

If so, what the heck?

Have these people never heard of genderbent cosplay? I don't think I saw this particular person but I did see a lot of male Daenerys cosplayers, and quite a few other genderbent cosplays that no one seemed to bat an eyelid about. Very shocked and disappointed to hear that con-goers would treat somebody like this.

I think that's where the point that scifisteve mentioned about "mainstream" comes in.

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you I have been waiting for a few friends to get back to me about this

I asked around after wonder woman left , a whole lot of stall holders where upset that he left, they all had nice things to say about him, the ones who saw the taunting and "bullying" where very upset about it, all my friends had nice things to say about him, so did several crew members that I know where upset about the events that happened

As for his costume he has lost a lot of weight, everything he had was donated or made, I think he looked quite good for what it was and what he was wearing and there was a lot of mixed sex costumes. And im sorry but he did look better then most with out going over the top. He dresses as wonder woman and snow white at the charity collections because they are recognised by everyone.

Queen Sindal-- he would really love to meet you, has wanted to meet you for a while, he says you have always been fair to him and he wants to say thank you he will be at the Cardiff event in October

He goes by the name of superwondergirl on this site, so some of you may know him.

I plan on meeting him at the Cardiff event, I think he may be a bit nervous about it due to last time, if you know him or want to meet him please go up and say hi. I would like to see him made to feel welcome, to enjoy the event again

Thank you

He looked really good, and he was very recognizable. I knew it was him before I even saw the donation bucket.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will make it back to another event this year, but hopefully I'll catch up with him next year.

Hi Pinkflamingo

We at iCosplay would LOVE to be in touch with Wonderwoman .. we saw him and had a brief chat at Collectormania MK - Love the costume and everything he does for charity.

If you can ask him to be intouch (contact form on our website) that would be fantastic ..

Thanks again

Sharon

• Like 1

Pinkflamingo I won't be able to see him then as I'm going to a local con during the day and then I'm DJing with a burlesque troop in the evening.

Anyway keep up the good work and remember haters gonna hate! I regulary dress when I DJ and I've been asked to compere and DJ for a local charity festival as well as being the opening act for Pride 2 years running. If I ever see you either at a con or wherever I'mm make sure I stick some cash in your bucket. :clap::coolthumb:

Edited by Queen_Sindel
I hate to be the party pooper - but you can't discuss other events on here, sorry.

I tried this week to contact him about making plans to meet up at the Cardiff comic con, and haven't been able to . I finally made contact with him last night. It turns out that he did a charity collection last week end as wonder woman, during the collection some young disabled adults came up to him and asked a lot of questions, as anyone would. 3 drunks came up and tried to push the young people out of their way. Our Wonder Woman told them no and please move on. They then attacked him, he has 2 busted ribs , a broken tooth, and a black eye, the drunks came off worse. but not one drunk got near the young adults. Wonder Woman wouldn't let it happen.

So I want to do something for him and I am hoping others can help. We all know he has a charity tin he carries and if you want to give that is up to you. I am donating 2 lipsticks that I bought brand new and never used, my cousin is donating 5 packs of x large tights to him and my friend at work is donating some make up she has bought but never used and a wig still in its package. I was wondering if others could do the same anything you might think he could use or help with his charity, I know a comic shop sends him buttons to hand out when he is at the shows

Queen Sindel, showmasters can we do this and leave it at the information desk or a place that you say is okay maybe label the bags to our wonder woman guy MD wonder woman or something like that .

I am also donating a small box of lego to his disabled son, one of the reasons he went to the London show to look for.

Since writing this I have had another e mail from him, he has been asked to be a judge at a bake off event as wonder woman, and in February he will be doing a skydive event for muscular dystrophy charity you guessed it as wonder woman.

Queen sindel and showmasters I hope this is okay to post and I only want what best for him, he does so much for others And may I post this on the Cardiff sight please

Thank you so much

oxoxoxoxoxo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, it really doesn't matter whether you are cross playing (man wearing female character or female wearing character clothes) or just cosplaying, there will always be someone ready to bully people, I have seen female called a slut for cosplaying low cut top.

Edited by Crazyfools
  • Like 1

Hi

just had a email from pinkflamingo she can't get the e mail to you and has asked me if I can send it, would this be allowed ? miss queen sindel I do feel foolish that this has gone on like it has, sorry about this

would you like me to speak to her and ask her to stop this?

I don't want to be banned from the events.