this years Auction

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone

Again we will be having our Auction with really cool items up for grabs and there is no reserve on anything so there will be some bargains :-)

we will have some of the hight lights of the auction listed on here soon :-)

jason

Could someone please explain to me how the auction works? I've never really understood it, but I'd love to give it a go this year.

Basically there is a little area set up like a stall (not amongst the stalls though, last year it was behind one of the stages)

All auction items will be on show on either the wall or on the tables, alongside them will be paper and pens

Next to (or on can't remember correctly) each item it will have a little number, you will find that piece of paper with that number (which will also say the item just incase of any hiccups) and you will place your bid alongside your name and any contact details (such as a number)

If you had to go at a certain time but still wanted to keep up to date with the item you are bidding on, i believe they can send you a text notifying if you have been outbided, and you can bid through text again if you wish (i'm sure this bit happens as i'm positive i read that somewhere)

At the end of Sunday when the show is over they contact each winner of the items and i believe you can either collect it or they can send it out (as some people travel far and can't collect it)

• Like 1

Just to expand on the above. You have to first fill out a registration form in order to get your bidder number. Once you have this you can bid by writing your number and amount on the sheet for the item you’re interested in. The auction for the item will close at 3pm on Saturday or Sunday. Don’t worry this will be clearly on display. If you can be there when the auction closes as they will go through the current bid and as long as you are registered you can bid again if you have been outbid and really want the item or see another one that’s a bargain. Hope this helps. f&l

Last years silent auction .Say an item was £40 and there were no more bids written down on the sheet for the item.At the end of play one of the folk running it

shouts out "Any advance on £40 " Should this happen.Its supposed to be a silent auction.

Last years silent auction .Say an item was £40 and there were no more bids written down on the sheet for the item.At the end of play one of the folk running it

shouts out "Any advance on £40 " Should this happen.Its supposed to be a silent auction.

I see where you're coming from but it makes more sense to offer the chance to win to someone who is present as the items are collected and the cash received there and then.

Edited by fastandloud

Yeah, I've see that happen every time I've been to bump up how much something is going for. Personally I see that as a bit pointless even putting a bid down, it's not a true auction in my eyes just a free for all for whoever has the most money.

But I thought that was what happens at all the auctions? The person(s) with the most money wins. I have attended the 'old' auctions and these 'new silent' auctions and besides it being more efficient time wise for the organisers, I really don't see any difference to be honest. Maybe the time efficiency is the key for the organisers I don't know, but have no beef either way with the systems. He/she with the most money wins and fair play to them in my opinion. For example the immediate last auction in Glasgow there was a signed Karl Urban into darkness phaser up for grabs but I stopped when in my opinion it became too expensive and hence 'lost out'. So whoever won that phaser, well good luck and fair play to them in my view. Noy quite understanding the problem to be honest.

Well as someone else says, if you have a bid written down it makes it totally irrelevant if you can just be outbid by someone else who didn't write down a bid. The clue is in the silent part, this is meant to be a fun thing, but the folk who run it always try and get more money for something that's "too much of a bargain".

It's not an outbid auction it's a silent auction with the highest bid winning even if that's just a penny!

You may indeed have a point, but what is better, people all rushing and cramming, pushing and shoving to place that last written bid on each individual folder for each item, or a verbal final vocal bid right at the end? Look at the popular bid folders, it still gets crazy with people writing bids down and can get a little testy at times with some ( not the vast majority) people writing their bid down. I personally can see that it is definitely not a silent auction in its purest form but it is still is a version of it albeit with a slice of the old fashioned vocal auction. I think it is maybe more to do with the saving of time and not having to use the stage thus freeing it up for more talks etc rather than taking up all that valuable time with the old auction using the stage.

Wouldn't it save more time to the actual auction part to NOT add bids though I that was the case?

The written down aspect happens throughout the day in a separate area from the auction stage so it's really not affected one way or the other on how busy the crowds are. I see no potential for time saving by ADDING more bids onto the final bid you have written down in front of you, it shouldn't really be that big a deal to run the thing right, it's too make more money for the event itself pure and simple!

I know this. But then you get 'testy' people who hog the clipboards at the end and don't let people write down a bid thus 'cheating'( if that's what posters were referring to in the previous posts) hence the reason for the last vocal bid at the end. I have first hand knowledge of people doing this and to be honest it is very unpleasant. I think this is the reasoning behind doing the last vocal auction to stop these people cheating and as such think it becomes fairer when you look at the 'bigger' picture. If only people had integrity and adopted a fair play policy then perhaps it would work as a true silent auction but because of these people in the past I have been disadvantaged and think the Organisers are aware of this happening in the past hence the end bit where they take vocal bids. I think on this subject we will have to agree to disagree and hope to meet you when you attend the auction. Best of luck bidding!

Yeah I understand the cheating aspect and I can agree with it to an extent though your sacrificing those who wish to "play" properly and as such cheating the honest people out of what should be the final bid, I would say more controls are needed in how the bidding processes is dealt with.

The way it's being run at the moment I think most people, myself included don't really bother with the written down bid as like I say it's irrelevant, so if that runs things fairer then simply change the name and take out the whole written down, seems like this would be the easiest option.

I just like to see things run fairly one way or the other and to call things as they are to stop any confusion. This isn't getting at anyone or trying to start an argument in any way, just saying it like I see it.

Won a prop from the Sarah Jane Adventures TV show for 50p lol, great bargain there!

Wow what kind of SJA Prop? Could you take a picture (sorry SJA was and still is my favorite TV show, it's what got me into Doctor Who!)

Linked it in another thread :P