Sherlocked 2 and US event?

message received, thanks evilfairie. I will forward it. I removed your post before someone gets ideas. ;)

Haha, no problem, was hoping someone would see my post and get the message to the correct people.

It's good to know it's going to be at the Excel again. Looking forward to info on guests and tickets etc. :)

So now I'm wondering where you got this info. Definitely at the Excel?

I think I'm starting to suffer from PTLT - Pre Ticket Launch Tension. I don't think there's a cure.

I know, right? I've got butterflies already, like last time. I normally work from home, and go into my office only once a fortnight. Guess what? That happens to be next Wednesday. Typical! Luckily I have a very friendly team who are all aware of my slight obsession so they will, I am sure, indulge me as I swear at the computer and fumble around with credit cards. Let's hope the system doesn't fall over like last time!

You'll have to say 'just ignore any screaming that you hear'

I too pray that it copes but don't have much hope that it will given how many people are going to be logging on trying to get tickets. Hopefully there's a good chance that they aren't going to sell out straight away as they didn't last time although part of that was probably the cost of the higher packages. If Ben C's not there they probably won't be as expensive and may go quicker.

Oh well, Wednesday will tell. I'll be on my lunch break when they go live so will be able to do it from work no problems. Hopefully. Don't have computer issues at that exact point. Or power cuts. Or emergency's in the building. Or asteroid strikes. or.........AHHHHHHHHH.

I hope that the Victorian telegram which served as the Twitter announcement means that we're going to get lots of lovely stuff about The Abominable Bride at this year's event!

I'm 99% sure that there will be as a few days ago I went onto the Sherlocked website and it had some changes announcing where it would be held and the times etc and that there would be the Victorian set on show. The site wasn't supposed to be like that as anyone could edit it...someone had messed up haha. I came here and made a post about it which Queen Sindel saw and let the powers that be know so it could be sorted.

I'm at work on Wednesday so won't be able to check things out till the evening.

The fact that I will probably have to buy a ticket for an event that comes in 9 months makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I wouldn't mind a weekend ticket, but if there will be something that makes me buy a package again I will be biting my fingernails for the most of this year. There is so much that can happen, and my inner worrier freaks out already.

IMO the fact you cannot return your tickets is a VERY BAD idea. It was bad enough last year. :grump:

The fact that I will probably have to buy a ticket for an event that comes in 9 months makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I wouldn't mind a weekend ticket, but if there will be something that makes me buy a package again I will be biting my fingernails for the most of this year. There is so much that can happen, and my inner worrier freaks out already.

IMO the fact you cannot return your tickets is a VERY BAD idea. It was bad enough last year. :grump:

I am not aware of any cons that let you return your tickets. Upgrade, yes, but not return for refund. They are not doing anything unusual here.

Yeah, the only reason a con refunds tickets is if the event itself is cancelled - it has always been the way. It is a drawback unfortunately but you have to either accept it and buy a ticket knowing the people you are booking specifically to see may cancel or don't go. It's happened to me a good few times that the guests I wanted all cancelled and I had little interest in the replacements. In those cases I didn't go to the con, lost the ticket price but saved the money I would have spent on travel and sundry expenses. In the world of events and cons the watch word is that you shouldn't go for a guest/s in particular bu for the whole event as statistically the guests you want to see will probably have to cancel. However I usually did go for particular guests - especially once you've done a few for the same show I became less interested when the cancelling guest was replaced by people I had seen a few times before.

We were very lucky with Sherlocked 1 - as well as getting almost the entire main cast and the main creative team there was only 1 cancellation as far as I can remember. Normally you'd have to attend several cons to get the entire main cast and there's usually 1 person you never get to see for one reason or another! One of the main advantages for Sherlocked was that it was such a short time between the formal announcement of the event and the event itself, there wasn't much time for the cast and crew to become tied up with work - the longer you have to wait for a con the more chance their is on guests cancelling as work comes up.

Hopefully with the main cast of Sherlock though that because they are such busy actors they will probably have their upcoming schedules for the next year or so already booked in and hopefully that might give us some stability with the guest list.

• Like 1

Yes, I have heard that no cons do refund - but it doesn't make me like it. You can almost always return anything you buy - this is what a customer friendly service is about IMO. I think people would be more likely to buy pricey passes if they could return them in emergency.

Yes, the first Sherlocked was a lucky case. But it also make the second one harder to be attractive for those who attended last year. I would love to see the Victorian set and have a panel with Arwel, something about the costumes...

But when I'll have to chose between buying a pass half blindly, or wait until I'm sure I can attend and will get something for my money, I would rather wait and risk I won't get the tickets I want, instead of risking big amount of money again. The flights and hotels are easy to cancel.

Yes, I have heard that no cons do refund - but it doesn't make me like it. You can almost always return anything you buy - this is what a customer friendly service is about IMO. I think people would be more likely to buy pricey passes if they could return them in emergency.

Yes, the first Sherlocked was a lucky case. But it also make the second one harder to be attractive for those who attended last year. I would love to see the Victorian set and have a panel with Arwel, something about the costumes...

But when I'll have to chose between buying a pass half blindly, or wait until I'm sure I can attend and will get something for my money, I would rather wait and risk I won't get the tickets I want, instead of risking big amount of money again. The flights and hotels are easy to cancel.

But the problem lies in the fact that in the terms and conditions it says about line ups subject to change etc. How would any event orgnaiser survive if someone chose to return tickets at the last minute? And when the line ups get smaller if this refund came in, people would moan about it. Anyone attending a signing event/convention just to see one or two people and nothing else are simply foolish. The event is much bigger.

In the UK they have made changes to certain areas of retail refunds which will, without doubt, have a massive impact on many industries. If people choose to buy something, unless it is faulty then it is tough.

If it helps any, if I remember correctly most, if not all, ticket levels were available until quite near the event last time. The only things that sold out quickly were photo ops.

• Like 1

I understand. I'm hoping to get a ticket and to be able to see more of the talks than I did last time as I was simply too busy. I didn't get to see any of Arwels and would have loved to.

It's a catch 22 for the organisers regarding refunds. If they allow it and lots of attendees ask for a refund for whatever reason they risk a massive financial loss as they still have to pay guests, staff, venue ect and if they have to refund tickets that were paying for those costs then potentially you're going to end up in a situation where there won't be any cons because no organiser will take the risk of putting an event on. People have been asking SM to put in place a resale option which I believe they are considering but when I've seen it done at other cons it's usually only done when the ticket type/show has sold out - again it's to prevent loss of revenue.

It doesn't help the customer though, as you said you either have to wait and risk not getting a ticket or splash out on an event you may end up not being able to or wanting to go to and being stuck - and whilst I was happy with the ticket prices a Sherlocked and spent quite a bit to make sure I got everything done I wanted and don't regret anything I paid for it certainly wasn't cheap if you end up not being able to go for whatever reason - too much to write off really.

Yeah, the only reason a con refunds tickets is if the event itself is cancelled - it has always been the way. It is a drawback unfortunately but you have to either accept it and buy a ticket knowing the people you are booking specifically to see may cancel or don't go. It's happened to me a good few times that the guests I wanted all cancelled and I had little interest in the replacements. In those cases I didn't go to the con, lost the ticket price but saved the money I would have spent on travel and sundry expenses. In the world of events and cons the watch word is that you shouldn't go for a guest/s in particular bu for the whole event as statistically the guests you want to see will probably have to cancel. However I usually did go for particular guests - especially once you've done a few for the same show I became less interested when the cancelling guest was replaced by people I had seen a few times before.

We were very lucky with Sherlocked 1 - as well as getting almost the entire main cast and the main creative team there was only 1 cancellation as far as I can remember. Normally you'd have to attend several cons to get the entire main cast and there's usually 1 person you never get to see for one reason or another! One of the main advantages for Sherlocked was that it was such a short time between the formal announcement of the event and the event itself, there wasn't much time for the cast and crew to become tied up with work - the longer you have to wait for a con the more chance their is on guests cancelling as work comes up.

Hopefully with the main cast of Sherlock though that because they are such busy actors they will probably have their upcoming schedules for the next year or so already booked in and hopefully that might give us some stability with the guest list.

I don't think it was luck. They know if they are going to charge a lot of money, one of the two main characters is going to have to be there, and that person will be the main draw. Those actors do know their schedules well in advance, and if they commit to the con, I really doubt they will cancel to take another last minute job. The minor characters are the ones who have to make work a priority over conventions.

I don't think it was luck. They know if they are going to charge a lot of money, one of the two main characters is going to have to be there, and that person will be the main draw. Those actors do know their schedules well in advance, and if they commit to the con, I really doubt they will cancel to take another last minute job. The minor characters are the ones who have to make work a priority over conventions.

Just talking about Showmasters events alone, there have been many cancellations or moving to different events for actors/actresses of all Hollywood levels from bit part to headliners because of a change in work commitments. Filming schedules can change at a moment's notice and do change at a moment's notice.

I can remember a guest, and I cannot remember if it was a Showmasters event or another organiser, who was at LAX airport and got a phonecall from the show/film they were working on to say they were needed for a reshoot. They were on their way to the convention and had to turn around and go back for a reshoot. It happens.

Just talking about Showmasters events alone, there have been many cancellations or moving to different events for actors/actresses of all Hollywood levels from bit part to headliners because of a change in work commitments. Filming schedules can change at a moment's notice and do change at a moment's notice.

I can remember a guest, and I cannot remember if it was a Showmasters event or another organiser, who was at LAX airport and got a phonecall from the show/film they were working on to say they were needed for a reshoot. They were on their way to the convention and had to turn around and go back for a reshoot. It happens.

I don't know if it happened elsewhere too, but for Showmasters it happened with Alex Meraz from the Twilight movies.

I don't know if it happened elsewhere too, but for Showmasters it happened with Alex Meraz from the Twilight movies.

I don't know anything about Twilight? Would you say Alex is a 'major' or 'side' character? Was he/she replaced by another, comparable guest? If Ben or Martin were scheduled and cancelled, there is no comparable guest, for Sherlock, so I cannot see them booking them without a very firm committment.

He's one of the Wolfpack. Sorry, not that much familiar with Twilight, so I am not going to even try and guess if they could be considered major or side characters. The Wolfpack did have some very loyal fans, that much I can tell you. I honestly don't remember if there was a replacement.

He was just meant as an example that callbacks can really happen at any point.

Of course every guest is commiting to the show with the intention of attending. But sometimes there is unavoidable stuff preventing that attendance, despite best intentions on all sides. If the end of a new Marvel movie falls through with test audiences the main cast would be called back for reshoots too, no matter how insanely popular Robert Downey and the others are and if they are scheduled for a promotional appearance elsewhere.

For Sherlocked the bonus is that it is an official event, so the appearance would hold more weight probably than a let's say LFACC appearance when the event is not a pure promotional appearance possibly.

There are very few actors who would turn down work to attend a con, even the main stars. So even though as I said earlier that Martin and Benedict should have their work schedules given that they know what roles they have won and when filming is scheduled for it doesn't mean something won't come up work wise - like the examples already given or even potential last minute jobs; an actor might need replacing on a shoot last minute if they fall ill or pull out so you never know what can happen. I doubt that even actors at the top end of the market will automatically turn down a job that comes their way because they are booked in to do a weekend convention - they might have more flexibility to pick and choose what projects they work on but if they get offered a last minute role and it's something they are very interested in doing they aren't going to say no (this scenario would be vary unlikely though)

The main actors don't 'have' to be there. The reality is that without them SM probably wouldn't sell as many tickets and certainly not as many of the higher priced packages but no convention has to have the main guests. Additionally there is no such thing as a 'firm commitment' - All guests who are booked will be at the convention until they aren't. As QS says with this being an official con we should get the main cast even if they only commit to a day each but it's not guaranteed.

I'm sure we will get Ben again, I'm not sure if we will ever be lucky enough to get Martin but I'm holding out hopefully for them both.