Photoshoot Jpeg Download quality Question? How small?

Just wondering about this as I just downloaded my images and some are tiny, downsized images, not the sort of images the cameras the photographers shoot with at their best settings.

An example - my Mr Michael J Fox DeLorean photoshoot is very small. It was shot on a Canon 700D, which produces 18MP images. Simple. The image I have is a fraction of that and very low quality, the image I have is hardly even 4.5MP at a resolution of 2592 x 1728.

This means I can do nothing I wanted with it as I wanted to crop it close so me and Mr J Fox are the focus of the image, but it is of such low quality I am not even sure what to say. I crop such a small image and frankly it looks horrific like it was taken on a 15 year old mobile phone, when in reality the full 18MP image would have information I could seriously work with.

Is it possible to get the full resolution images? I thought they would be so when we downloaded them. Unless the photographers on the day lowered the MP setting on their cameras to produce lower quality images on purpose for some reason. Or they have been vastly reduced in quality to go online.

Any help with this would be wonderful as hey I am very frustrated getting images not direct from the cameras they were shot on, as all of the images I downloaded are smaller than the files should be, by quite a large amount.

Hopefully someone understands what I mean haha :dance: I may be fussy, but when it comes to spending near £100 on a photo, then another £5 to download the digital file, I expect to get the biggest Jpeg taken on the day, not these.

• Like 2

Well sadly my image is out of focus as well :crying: no way I can zoom into me and Mr J Fox and save it without a bigger file that is for sure (if it is possible).

4.5MP is no where near big enough for me. I like best quality available, that is not even close, as you can tell I am picky :thumbup:

I will email the store then Thank You :smile: worth a shot I guess, they may be able to say a reason they reduce its size so vastly when uploaded as well. I will logically assume for space on servers for now.

I think the uploads are the files straight out of the camera memory card. In other words I don't think the photographer is shooting in highest res RAW files as to him there is no point in doing so as they are printed straight after he shoots them. I do know what the OP means as I would prefer to get basically the highest res possible so you could crop etc. But this is the best we get and it is better than no JPEG at all.

• Like 1

Ohh I wouldnt expect RAW :-) too cumbersome for servers them big boys haha Imagine uploading thousands of them! Crikey.

But it would be a shame if they do shoot lower MP Jpegs on the day. Especially for the once in a life time guests.

But hey the vast majority as you say only want the printed picture on the day, so it makes sense to not use big files.

I will email them, in hope haha

I think the uploads are the files straight out of the camera memory card. In other words I don't think the photographer is shooting in highest res RAW files as to him there is no point in doing so as they are printed straight after he shoots them. I do know what the OP means as I would prefer to get basically the highest res possible so you could crop etc. But this is the best we get and it is better than no JPEG at all.

That's basically what I meant to say. :lol: I don't really type that well on my mobile, so I didn't go into that much detail.

• Like 1

Is it possible to get the full resolution images? I thought they would be so when we downloaded them.

I am with you, but at least, the resolution is stated before you download the image.

My standard photos are 3840 x 2560 at ~4 MB . You can tell it's not full resolution when you look at the details of the downloaded files. I also expected something more, but I don't want to crop, so it's still OK for me. I only downloaded 3 of 14 pictures. For the other 11, my scans will do... If it would have been full resolution, I probably might have downloaded (and paid!) a lot more...

My DeLorean photo (no guest) is 3456 x 2304 at 2.5MB... but still out of focus if you look at my t-shirt...

Edited by GrandmasterA
  • Like 1

Ahhh yes I guess I am a bit silly haha I never even paid attention to the numbers when you buy them (bugger haha). I guess the resolution listed on its longest side should have shown me they were reduced so much.

Well put it this way I showed someone my Mr J Fox image and they couldn't recognise him, that's how out of focus and small his face is on the final Jpeg. That says it all sadly :-(

The camera it was shot with is either broke, too cheap and incapable of the job (all the photos taken on the higher end cameras look quality, quality shines), or the photographer wasnt on the ball, or rushed to much to set it up.

All in all my image is pretty much dire, for the price we pay we expect some quality.

Edited by RomeroSavini

The quality of my once in a lifetime Michael J Fox photo is shocking. I have no complaints about any of my other photos, they all look perfect quality, but I could have got a better photo of MJF in the Delorean on my phone.

What a huge shame. The image is out of focus and the jpg version is no different. At first I thought it was perhaps the lighting but it now appears the photographer was taking the photos so quick that they were not focusing the image.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that it is other people's Mr J Fox image as well. Its just sad really for us to remember it this way.

Looking through the Jpeg album of everyone else's pictures I see some shots which are scary they are so bad. Never seen so many awkward poses, people just not in place yet and even more out of focus than mine.

Goes to show you rushing doesnt work.

i'm shocked at how many comments are being made about badly framed pics (tops of heads missing) and out of focus shots. who the Hell was hired for these shoots, obviously not a professional? how hard is it to get a focus rage set and a tripod set up for a bunch of pics that are all going to be at the same range? given the prices asked i find it abhorrent that so many pics seem to be of bad quality and are ruining people's once-in-a-lifetime memento.

• Like 2

I checked all 12 of my photos shoot camera information and all are far smaller than the files should be. A few are really lower resolution, even the big boy Canon 5D Mark 3 Mark (a superb camera you cannot go wrong with) camera files are shrunken vastly, but at least the few shoots with them cameras look perfect, beautiful in fact so quality shines.

Half my shoots were shot with low end cameras in my opinion, the lowest seems to be the M J Fox shoot. Which needed the best camera because of the lighting, it may just be very random which camera they put where and shoot with.

It seems a mixture of Canon cameras were used in shoots. From the budget models to about the highest Canons available and a few in between.

I personally think only the best camera should be used for all shoots, but I am sure money is a reason for not doing so.

After all a Canon 700D can be had for say £200 and the best camera the used the 5D Mark 3 Mark maybe had for £2500.

So 10 of them wouldn't be cheap haha

Edited by RomeroSavini

Ok so putting it in laymans terms i, i.e basic speak for me....found my pics in online library, opened and they came up in thumbnail size. Are you saying that if I purchase the actual download they are still small i.e putting resolution aside a second are they in 9 x 6 " size as original - but then you are saying resolution out on some so out of focus etc??

Ok so putting it in laymans terms i, i.e basic speak for me....found my pics in online library, opened and they came up in thumbnail size. Are you saying that if I purchase the actual download they are still small i.e putting resolution aside a second are they in 9 x 6 " size as original - but then you are saying resolution out on some so out of focus etc??

They are good enough for most people to mess with, crop or get fair sized prints if needed :-)

I just expected much bigger resolution images to get much bigger prints. I may be just very picky in wanting the full size images.

The whole out of focus thing only applies to me as one of my photos was not got in focus on the day by the photographer. I am sure the vast majority of images will be in focus tgat were uploaded, so it should not effect most.

Hopefully that makes sense haha

I am confusing myself at times :-D

They are good enough for most people to mess with, crop or get fair sized prints if needed :-)

I just expected much bigger resolution images to get much bigger prints. I may be just very picky in wanting the full size images.

The whole out of focus thing only applies to me as one of my photos was not got in focus on the day by the photographer. I am sure the vast majority of images will be in focus tgat were uploaded, so it should not effect most.

Hopefully that makes sense haha

I am confusing myself at times :-D

Many thanks, so I am guessing focus will be ok on mine as original were ok on day and that when I do download it will be a normal not tumbnail size to play around with? :-)