Dates are the same as SDCC....

I don't think that's a problem. There are so many amazing guests that we can still get. Just because you won't get to see someone next year doesn't mean they won't make an appearance in the future. People are expecting too much. We can't possibly have every actor on earth make an appearance every year. Just be patient and hopefully one day you'll get to meet your favourites. The fact that both events are happening at the same time is irrelevant. They're both very different so I don't get why people are getting worried.

• Like 4

I don't think that's a problem. There are so many amazing guests that we can still get. Just because you won't get to see someone next year doesn't mean they won't make an appearance in the future. People are expecting too much. We can't possibly have every actor on earth make an appearance every year. Just be patient and hopefully one day you'll get to meet your favourites. The fact that both events are happening at the same time is irrelevant. They're both very different so I don't get why people are getting worried.

good point. It's not the end of the world that next year's event has the same dates as SDCC. There is always future events.

For obvious reasons, SM can't do the week before, but personally I think it's a bit of a mistake doing it on the same weekend as SDCC.

It probably won't have that much of an impact on guests, but it might. Also, the media covered LFCC quite well this year which helps the event grow. It'll likely receive a lot less coverage this year if it's competing with SDCC.

• Like 1

I like the dates as the Sunday is my birthday, but I do worry about the following thing: what if a guest agrees to do LFCC, then signs onto a project that will be promoted at SDCC and they will be suddenly contractually obligated to attend and therefore cancel LFCC? I can see hate flying on all sides.

Edited by SammyRomie

I like the dates as the Sunday is my birthday, but I do worry about the following thing: what if a guest agrees to do LFCC, then signs onto a project that will be promoted at SDCC and they will be suddenly contractually obligated to attend and therefore cancel LFCC? I can see hate flying on all sides.

This is in no way different to how guests are booked now so will make no difference. All guests who are booked to appear can and do cancel when work arises, irrespective of what it is. It's partially irrelevant if they have to go to SDCC because it could be anything they need to go and do if the situation calls for it, a big press interview, a film festival, reshoots ect. Even if SDCC was on the weekend before or after the guest may still have to cancel as it's possible the schedule would require them to be there a few days before or after and they might not be able to make it back/over in time.

It's SM's decision when to run the event and who to get. If they have shot themselves in the foot having it on the same weekend and can't get many guests/or people don't go it's their issue and they will learn from it. It's fine to express concern but why don't we all wait to see what happens. They aren't stupid and have been doing this for a long time.

• Like 2

I can easily see a scenario where SM puts on a terrific show, only to drown in grumpy comments of "but if you'd held it on a different weekend, person X would have been available", whether a valid comment or not.

That will happen anyway. "Had you moved it by three more weeks show A would not have started filming yet and B would be available." We go through that every year for different reasons.

To be fair I'm not sure there isn't an element of validity in that, notwithstanding any casting of aspersions on SM's motives/thoughts. Given that the guest suggestion threads are chock-full of people requesting guests from Arrow, SHIELD, Once Upon A Time, Warehouse 13 et al, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why SM schedule their flagship show in the month when those shows all start filiming new series. Maybe with increased demand for guests from the current US shows, there might be a case for rejigging the SM schedule and moving LFCC to June. Seems like something that could at least be considered for future years. It does seem bizarre that at this point I'd have more confidence in SM getting Stallone than Stephen Amell.

Alternatively something that occurred to me for this year is why not have LFCCW focus primarily on those US shows, similarly to how Spring is supposed to be focussing primarily on Star Wars? True, it's in the middle of filming schedules which makes getting guests difficult and raises risks of cancellations, but it certainly doesn't preclude getting guests from those shows. Not everyone will be filming all the time, and even if you can't get principal cast there's always secondary cast, or ex-main cast whose characters have died/aren't active main cast *cough* Manu Bennett *cough* :P

Support that with good guests from previous shows like Whedonverse, Dexter, West Wing etc to provide a buffer against cancellations, and you've got a great show that caters for people looking for more current shows and placates the concerns about Summer that are being mentioned here. You can then keep that emphasis going forward to differentiate the Winter con from the Summer con as opposed to it being just a smaller scale version of summer.

Just what I'd do if I were the powers that be :P

• Like 1

My only worry with the clash is the affect it may have on what Game of Thrones guest may attend, as the most popular cast always attend SDCC.

As has happened this year and last year. GoT cast cancel LFCC because of "work commitments" but all still go to SDCC. Not looking froward to possible lack of GoT cast members if this happens.

It's a bad weekend to have it. No main cast from Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl. Very disappointing already.

Completely agree, they have basically killed their chances at getting any of the newer shows, big guests - they are no where near the level to compete with SDCC yet.

• Like 1

So we can rule out many guests for this from the off, for example

-many from star wars

-any of the upcoming DC casts

-possibly Marvel people if they attend next year

-current Doctor Who stars

-Bruce Campbell, Sam raimi and cast from evil dead

-Kevin smith and casts

-Ghostbusters reboot cast

just for starters!

bear in mind a lot of film productions in the U.S. take the weekend off to attend SDCC, so it's not like they'd be flying Internationally anyway

Many major press outlets will also be using their resources to cover sdcc

still I hope the date changes. After all show masters have recently rescheduled several events for similar reasons. Don't book travel tickets just yet.

Edited by benweblight
  • Like 1

As much as I can appreciate people's concern over the fact that the two events clash, making rash speculation about who will and will not attend at this point is ridiculous, and only serves to create hysteria where there needn't be any.

Yes, there are a number of current shows that will have their major cast attending SDCC. Same as any other year. But let's not forget that the majority of these cast members didn't come to LFCC THIS YEAR, despite the show being after SDCC. (I know people are going to talk about shooting schedules etc...)

As others have said, I don't think SM will have gone into this blind, and won't have just picked the dates out of thin air without taking other major events into account. Jason and the team have been doing this a while.

The smoke from this years con has only just cleared, can we at least give SM the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what happens before all trying to crash the internet with tales of woe?

#JustSaying.

• Like 6

As much as I can appreciate people's concern over the fact that the two events clash, making rash speculation about who will and will not attend at this point is ridiculous, and only serves to create hysteria where there needn't be any.

Yes, there are a number of current shows that will have their major cast attending SDCC. Same as any other year. But let's not forget that the majority of these cast members didn't come to LFCC THIS YEAR, despite the show being after SDCC. (I know people are going to talk about shooting schedules etc...)

As others have said, I don't think SM will have gone into this blind, and won't have just picked the dates out of thin air without taking other major events into account. Jason and the team have been doing this a while.

The smoke from this years con has only just cleared, can we at least give SM the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what happens before all trying to crash the internet with tales of woe?

#JustSaying.

You saved me a lot of typing there. :lol:

The mods had decided to leave this open though it technically violates half a dozen forum rules cause we realized there's genuine concern. But I do agree, this concern is beginning to develop into mass hysteria. So everyone please, calm down.

I have no idea which of this year's guests were at SDCC, but seriously... that event date is kind of hard to overlook. SM really haven't just thrown dice to determine the LFACC date.

• Like 1

I didn't mean to post this to cause hysteria! Just wanted to get the concern out there and get other opinions on it.

I know we're not supposed to talk about other events but I felt this just had to be mentioned!

What with current shows being my main guest draw to things I'm probably more concerned but I know there's a huge % of attendees that this clash won't worry at all. It's personal preference at the end of the it. The same old issue of not being able to please everyone!

I'm interested to see what happens in terms of what guests attend and I'll be happy to be proved wrong!

Xx

Pro's and Con's (no pun intended) to these dates. Ideal for start of school summer holidays and well past Wimbledon, British GP etc as that can play havoc if you're travelling by car trust me, but transport links within London are very good.

However there were a few guests this year that did SDCC and LFCC most notably Hayley Atwell and lets face it if they(meaning franchise) had to choose it would be SDCC and others have expressed GOT concerns and if we ever want the likes of Big Bang Theory or dare I say RDJ to make an appearance it can't clash with SDCC.

Also Olympia is not a great venue as most of us discovered this year. Yes there is talk of changing the layout for next year but surely the ExCel venue is a better option being purpose built, all on one level, adequate hotels and food vendors, cheaper parking and much better toilet facilities. This would give the opportunity to section everything off in a logical manner, guests together, stages together, photo ops together, traders together and so on and so on. There's also an opportunity for a party Thurs Fri and Sat night be it at the Fox (limited tickets) or in one of the halls as per DSTL 2012

In summary move it by a week (forward or back) and switch venue to ExCel. I know it sounds simple and there are a lot of logistical and business concerns to be factored in but it does feel the way to go.

Any other thoughts people

LLAP

Pro's and Con's (no pun intended) to these dates. Ideal for start of school summer holidays and well past Wimbledon, British GP etc as that can play havoc if you're travelling by car trust me, but transport links within London are very good.

However there were a few guests this year that did SDCC and LFCC most notably Hayley Atwell and lets face it if they(meaning franchise) had to choose it would be SDCC and others have expressed GOT concerns and if we ever want the likes of Big Bang Theory or dare I say RDJ to make an appearance it can't clash with SDCC.

Also Olympia is not a great venue as most of us discovered this year. Yes there is talk of changing the layout for next year but surely the ExCel venue is a better option being purpose built, all on one level, adequate hotels and food vendors, cheaper parking and much better toilet facilities. This would give the opportunity to section everything off in a logical manner, guests together, stages together, photo ops together, traders together and so on and so on. There's also an opportunity for a party Thurs Fri and Sat night be it at the Fox (limited tickets) or in one of the halls as per DSTL 2012

In summary move it by a week (forward or back) and switch venue to ExCel. I know it sounds simple and there are a lot of logistical and business concerns to be factored in but it does feel the way to go.

Any other thoughts people

LLAP

ExCel can't be used because another convention company apparently has exclusive rights to the venue.

Personally speaking I would not like to see LFCC change to only having guests from current shows anyway, other events in the US cover from 70s-current but i did feel this year there were not that many of those for us and I know a lot of people who did not attend for that reason. Aside from the BTTF franchise there were no tv stars from any older shows there at all this time. I do hope there will be a different mix for next years LFCC to cater for all fans not just those of the latest hit as not everyone has access to sky/Netflix.

SDCC may be massive but its not like there is a shortage of guests to invite from Hollywood - there are plenty of stars to go round.

Edited by buffy2k
  • Like 2