I Know I'm Going to Get Shot Down for This.

I usually get at least 2 things signed per guest if I can but that's mostly because I like to get my photo with them at the shoots signed plus another standard photo signed so I can put them next to each other in my comic con folder. I also on occasion will get a blu-ray signed if it's someone I really like and the blu-ray is for a movie or show I love.

If I'm struggling to decide between 2 photos at the desk and I really love the guest I'll usually just get both as I know I'll regret it later if I don't (budget allowing of course).

It all comes down to me being a fan and an autograph collector and if you collect something then you can't really have too many even if it is an autograph from the same person as they can be different anyway i.e. dedications. If the guest doesn't do dedications though I will only get one as I much prefer the personal touch and a non dedicated autograph to me feels like one you could just buy from ebay.

I think this one may really bug the OP then...

I've been collecting autographs for 15/20 years, and have only really recently started framing them to put on walls. One of my 10x8 collections is of the lead actors from the Terminator franchise.

Unfortunately, since starting to frame the autographs, I noted that some of the pics I have signed are landscape, whilst most are portrait.

I fully intend to complete the collection in portrait orientation so I can frame and add in a block to one wall - something that wouldn't be possible currently.

I'll end up with 2 autographed and personalised 10x8's from the same franchise for about 5 actors and I'm not really concerned if anyone thinks I'm bonkers!

• Moderators

No discussion is 'pointless' if it remains that - a discussion. As soon as it comes down to people insulting each other and arguing rather than a reasonable discussion then yes, topics will get locked.

• Like 2

I think 3 should be the limit. You can see guests looking annoyed sometimes when having to sign a raft of items.

you can also see many guests who have no one in front of them or a tiny line which lasts a few minutes and they would be happy to sign as many as you wanted to avoid the embarressment of not looking popular.While waiting for a photoshoot at LFCC on the saturday both Tom Savini and Ken Kerzinger had nobody to sign for over 30 minutes they looked uncomfortable and looking at the floor all the time.I bet they would have jumped at the chance to sign for someone regardless of any number limit. Personally i've never seen anyone annoyed at the amount put on their desk when they are getting money for the signing.Stan Lee knew full well that large numbers of people were dealers in his line or customers going to sell on but did he care, i doubt it.Whats the point of a limit when most of the guests will never have that many put in front of them.Its only the occasional customer that wants anywhere near the maximum.Just restrict it if someones VQ number goes over a certain amount like 400 but how many do in the course of a day.For every MJF or Stan Lee there are dozens of guests that are virtually all done by lunchtime.I got 7 from keisha castle Hughes ( 4 were for friends back home, 'star wars' fans) and she was happy to do it.Not everone is getting autographs just for themselves, i usually have a list from several people who can't or won't attend conventions for whatever reason. Thats not greed its just being friendly and helpful.

Edited by loveamyadams
  • Like 2

How about a separate que, like a five items or less que.

and how would you manage that as regards who's next to see the guest?

Exactly it's not like a supermarket where there are separate tills so it makes sense to split the queue because more than one person can be seen to at one time, the guest is one person so it would still be unfair to one of the queues because they have to potentially wait longer just because they want more or less autographs. The wait is still there and the autographs will still take the same amount of time to sign but you could find yourself waiting in a queue for longer than someone in another queue who's just turned up purely because of the amount you want.

And there would be nothing to stop people picking whatever queue is quicker i.e. it may be quicker to go through the 1 autograph queue 5 times than the 5 autograph queue once. Some suggestions really have little to no thought behind them.

I know my 3 limit is controversial but I have seen guests look out off by having to sign five different things for one person and also with very popular guests it holds up the line. I almost didn't get to see rose Leslie as the person in front knew she had to go in a few minutes but still got their five items signed l then rushed through my time with rose so others could get to meet her. It's really an each to their own but I do think if they stop personalisation to speed things up why not cap items?

That is a good point. If they can clamp down the No Personalisation rule, then limiting items should also come into play. Both will upset some, but far more people would be seen.

As long as dealers are never ever allowed to join public lines, as I find it offensive when I am next to meet a guest and some "dealer" slaps down a pile to be signed with no interest in the guest at all. Makes my sick and so angry I want to slap them and say get to the back of the line and we are on a limit!

One rule for us and them I guess.

I don't understand how people can support 'no personalisations ' yet gripe about dealers. Dealers DO NOT want personalisations so surely by having a 'personalisations only' rule would make more sense to block out the dealers who are just looking to re-sell?

I met Christian Bale this year and he always insists on personalisations for this very reason (not that I was complaining!) :thumbup:

• Like 3

An interesting thread to see different points of view. I personally tend to get two per guest. A dedication on my photo shoot as a personal memory of meeting the actor one on one and then a multi signed 12x8 or script as a way to remember the whole show.

If they've been in multiple shows I enjoy then it'll be multiple scripts signed. The multi signed items are just as fond a memory for me as the photoshoots as usually the guests comment on the unusual art work or the number of guests I've had sign the script. It's a way for me to remember the show as a whole on a more personal level as well as the photo shoots.

Now I've queued for just as long as everyone else, my money is as bankable as everyone else's and my interest in both the actor and their shows are just as valid. Why shouldn't I be able to indulge my hobby the same as everyone else? Whether they get one auto or five. We are all there to share our interest in the actor and their collected works.

My getting a second or third autograph means just as much to me as your single one does to you, for different reasons but just as valid a reason in my eyes. I don't consider myself to to be any more of a fan because I get more autographs or spend more per guest then the average person. I also don't see a reason why I can't get those extra few autos when as mentioned above, I've queued for just as long as you. I also don't see my two or three autos as stopping someone else or multiple others from every meeting their idols.

I think the 5 item limit its reasonable and I very rarely see it reached and have never had a guest turn their nose up when I am for three autographs. Dealers and autograph services are separate and should be kept separate.

Like I said at the start, interesting to see different points of view, I just don't share yours OP.

Edited by Zahariel
  • Like 3

Ohhh I want personlisations, but just saying in a fair, speedy world they say none are given out at times a lot. So why not limit numbers of signatures even more if they realllly want to speed up lines.

Why do one thing, when both things in theory would get vastly more people down that line ;-)

So the no personalisation rule is pointless in my eyes if you dont wack it up at the same time with limiting numbers of signatures even more.

Dealers get away with anything they want sadly. No one will stop them, except in the circumstances you said. Sign away with the name and then who will buy it when it sold. The dealers would be crying on their tables of cash if over night everyone personalised haha

I don't understand how people can support 'no personalisations ' yet gripe about dealers. Dealers DO NOT want personalisations so surely by having a 'personalisations only' rule would make more sense to block out the dealers who are just looking to re-sell?

I met Christian Bale this year and he always insists on personalisations for this very reason (not that I was complaining!) :thumbup:

Edited by RomeroSavini
  • Like 1

Dealers DO NOT want personalisations so surely by having a 'personalisations only' rule would make more sense to block out the dealers who are just looking to re-sell?

Although on eBay the other day I saw a photo signed by Eddie Izzard with a guy's name on it - they were asking £50 for it too! :rolleyes:

absolutely, an auto means less to me if it's not made out to me. it's the equivalent of saying you can't go up to the guest for your pic cos they'll get through them quicker if they don't have to wait for you to walk up and pose :-D

i'm jealous, BTW, CB is one of my faves i'd love to meet.

• Like 1

I'd be against the 'personalisation only rule' - for 8x10s and other objects I prefer them personalised, but on my big poster I don't want every guest writing 'To Tom' on it because I would run out of space a lot quicker!

• Like 1

50 quid! Crikey. He was at the Mission Impossible 5 Premiere the other night. I never got his signature, see I could have had 50 quid haha Even if it was signed to me. Crazy.

I never thought to get his signature, I said hello and snapped photos. Maybe that makes me a mug for not asking haha

Dealers DO NOT want personalisations so surely by having a 'personalisations only' rule would make more sense to block out the dealers who are just looking to re-sell?

Although on eBay the other day I saw a photo signed by Eddie Izzard with a guy's name on it - they were asking £50 for it too! :rolleyes:

Edited by RomeroSavini

At the end of the day nothing at these events is guaranteed autograph wise, its all based on when you get there and what you're willing to spend.

If a store was about to close you couldn't tell the person in front of you they couldn't have their entire trolley of shopping, as annoying as that may be, they got there before you and have the right to be served before you.

As Lee said it really isn't anyones business how they spend their money - if they want to have up to the limit they have the right to do that.

Changing the rules to suit one/some person means it stops suiting others (as does EVERY rule in the entire world, booking limits on concert tickets etc... etc..)

• Like 2

I'd be against the 'personalisation only rule' - for 8x10s and other objects I prefer them personalised, but on my big poster I don't want every guest writing 'To Tom' on it because I would run out of space a lot quicker!

I agree, when i get a 10x8 signed i like a dedication but on posters and dvds i prefer name only so i can fit more one

Also dedications doesnt stop dealers, they have ways of removing them, that you wouldnt even know there had been one, so sorry to all the dealer haters, it wont be a way of getting rid of them

50 quid! Crikey. He was at the Mission Impossible 5 Premiere the other night. I never got his signature, see I could have had 50 quid haha Even if it was signed to me. Crazy.

I never thought to get his signature, I said hello and snapped photos. Maybe that makes me a mug for not asking haha

There's a big difference between what people are ASKING for on ebay and watch they're actually seling for. I'd be surprised if there were any bids/offers for Eddie Izzard's at £50!