I Know I'm Going to Get Shot Down for This.

Speaking of dealers, it is disheartening to be standing behind them. I remember going to Autographica last time Ursula Andress came over and someone I knew who WAS a dealer just stood at her desk for about 20 minutes with her, no conversation, no awe or interaction, just watching her sign what seemed like countless items, one after another. I think it was about 40 odd things in the end. That was excessive and really held the queue up. Ultimately I am not bothered how many anyone chooses to buy or what they do with them afterward, but it shouldn't be too the detriment of other attendees who may miss out but a cap of just 1 auto would be ridiculous.

Just to add a footnote at the recent one off Jerry Ross event there was one guy who was getting around 90 autographs on large multi-signed Shuttle prints. He wasn't a dealer per say but I did overhear him say the prints would be his retirement fund. It's because of these big spenders that it was financially possible to get Jerry to the UK.

I know compering the two events is like compering apples to oranges, due to attendance levels, but dealers do spend big money & that allows SM to book guests & we benefit by being able to meet them.

In a footnote to the footnote the not dealer dealer at the Jerry Ross event was extremely well mannered. He got his items signed in small batches & when he saw a queue forming he would stand aside to let everyone else meet Jerry. Not your typical dealer behaviour.

what gets me is the hour long queue and the mega fan at the front gets into a convo not giving a s*** about the 70 ppl behind him

an argument - why should they? They're a "mega fan" who might have waited their life to meet someone and may never have the chance again. they might have spent hundreds and hours getting there. Why should they miss out on a minute or so's conversation w/ their idol just cos some impatient d1ck is having a whinge?

let's face it, this "convo" is not like a half hour interview is it?

• Like 3

i see both sides to this. firstly, regarding multiple autos, i think it's entirely valid to get them, especially for a guest who's work is as varied as, say, Bill Paxton's ~ eg, i got him to sign Near Dark and his CD. What i don't get, is what i've seen at US cons, where someone will wander up to a comic writer w/ a foot-thick stack of every goddamned issue the guy's ever written. i mean, ffs - really? this is most definitely a time where a limit should be imposed, and this is what ended up having to happen when i met Joss Whedon in Chicago, the queue was all around the damn hall and people were just getting millions of items signed. even if the siggys were free, i wouldn't feel the need to bring every single DVD starring Bill, getting his nmes on the one orr two that mean the most to me is enough.

the limit would be unarguably helpful to give more people the chance to get a signature, but i'm not sure by how much. if people were getting so many siggys of sigourney weaver that it slowed the queue then they must have way more disposable cash than i'll ever see. i'd think the star repeatedly stopping to get up and take a pic etc would be more of a queue-slower than multi-sigs, especially since the handlers were being pretty adept at getting the items all laid out and ready as the person in front was being seen.

• Like 1

This thread is a bit pointless tbh. Some people (like me) see multiple sigs as perfectly ok. Some don't (each to their own).

Example: Now I personally don't like Doctor Who so in my opinion it's beyond me why anyone would want a Doctor Who sig - this is my personal opinion as I'm not a fan of the show. But I would not start a thread discussing the pointlessness of a Doctor Who autograph as it's my opinion, it's not an "age" thing etc, just my opinion - but how pointless to start a thread on it! People can say the same thing about my Star Wars sigs, and guess what - they'd be right cos in their opinion Star Wars is not their thing.

Pointless thread, pointless topic. Might as well start discussing "Why do people eat mushrooms, what's the point" or "Why do people go to the same place on holiday if they've already been once".

Pointless discussion!!

• Like 5

This thread is a bit pointless tbh. Some people (like me) see multiple sigs as perfectly ok. Some don't (each to their own).

Example: Now I personally don't like Doctor Who so in my opinion it's beyond me why anyone would want a Doctor Who sig - this is my personal opinion as I'm not a fan of the show. But I would not start a thread discussing the pointlessness of a Doctor Who autograph as it's my opinion, it's not an "age" thing etc, just my opinion - but how pointless to start a thread on it! People can say the same thing about my Star Wars sigs, and guess what - they'd be right cos in their opinion Star Wars is not their thing.

See I only really do Star Wars and Doctor Who, but never did Star Trek and don't do 'the latest show' any more. They take up enough of my earnings. Star Wars it's generally one auto in the book, Who its on various merch. There used to be a lot of free signings at Who events which really started the habit

bvwl0o_jpg.jpg

I think it's quicker for one person to get 5 things signed than for five people to get 1, on the VT guests I would have spend as long obtaining one autograph for the 3 I got, but would only have spent a 3rd of the money if just getting one each. Well except I then would have tried to go around again, which takes even longer. Had I wanted Weaver on one Ghostbusters and one Alien I would have gone once on the Sat, once on the Sunday, had I the money to indulge in such autographs. High prices (which in most cases I understand) limit me more than anything else.

But it still the same autograph on all those things. Your not meeting the character your meeting the actor so having duplicates on different merchandise is beyond me. The reason it becomes other people's business is because the time it takes for those extra autographs on busy guests deprives someone else getting one.

You can collect signed merchandise. In the case of Doctor Who a few retailers had free (well RRP) subscriptions where every release came signed. I've then added others for free at the many events I've been to. So I've easily got 500 signed items, and I'm far from alone.

If you look at some of the Star Wars guests - there were people who came from the other side of the world to meet Denis Lawson. I only needed one, but I fully understood that others might have three posters, three posters, three DVDs, one or two figures etc etc without being greedy. If you collected all them, how could you just choose one? Do you get him on the New Hope poster (which has 63 autos), or the Return of the Jedi poster (that has 40)? The former is the most complete, the later has the least. Considering some would pay £1000 just be there, you'd want to get your monies worth out of the trip and get the lot done.

Each of those items would be unique, and valid collectables. Now if you just buy a undedicated signed photo (which many do and take great joy from) those aren't unique! If I had the chance for a few seconds with Harrison Ford at £XXX, but he'd only sign his own photo instead of my book, I would have to seriously consider not meeting him. It's not what I collect. Free and beggars can't be choosers! But if I'm paying a lot it would have to be on my terms. And its not as if there'd be a shortage of others ready to meet him on his terms, it would be selfish of me to get in their way. If he was ever a diamond (and its the thing that at the price if would have to be part of me hopes that temptation is never put in my way) I might have to get two photos I didn't want for the one auto I did. With others desperate for the photo.

That's why I'm glad never started on Back to the Future. But to look at that example, had I started this year - a good place to start - I would only have been able to get one MJ Fox. Understandable in his case. But then I would have just got one item for the whole trilogy. One from Michael, one from Chris, Lea, James and the rest. So spending a third on the others than I may have done. if you collected posters, you could have the others on a BTTF1 item, BTTF2, BTTF3 without any difficulty. If he did another signing there'd still be the others to do.

But that's just how I see it. On the other hand I don't do generally do photo shoots (had a few free for charity that some would have spent a lot of money on!) but I understand why people 'need' to do them. Annoyingly they impress my mother more than any auto!) I don't quite understand why people need multiple photos with the same people though. Some get them at every event. But there you go. There are people really annoyed they couldn't get a photo with Peter Capaldi at the official BBC event. Despite them already having a costumed selfie on set, despite them already having met him for charity - they are still annoyed they couldn't get that third, and were perfectly happy to jump in front of others getting their first. But then hypocritically I've three or fours things I really want signed by him, despite having four or five things signed by him (all but one before being the Doctor) already. I'll always have more.

I don't get it. Why have more then one autograph. For what reason?

I usually only get one auto BUT . . . on the rare occassion . . . I'll sometimes get a photo signed (because I frame those) and also a DVD special edition box set signed (because I collect those) for example.

bvwl0o_jpg.jpg

You start a thread criticising those who buy more than one autograph.

Then members respond, with constructive arguments.

This is your response. to those constructive arguments If you can't take the heat, don't start the fire.

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship
  • Like 4

Not at all. I AM convinced why people often get more then one autograph. But it is very apparent that there is a selfish air in these forums as people would rather they have more autographs at the expense of some people missing out. I guess you miss the point. I'm not saying its silly to have more then one autograph. I'm saying that limit it to one when the VQ system is on and then have as many as you want in open queue. Although I do bow down to the notion that it may be quicker to have five autographs then 5 people having 1.

To be honest it takes 1 person, 1 minute for an autograph and chat anyway that's still only 60 people an hour so who knows.

I think it's a bit unfair to say one autograph from a guest - I normally go to a guest if I've seen them in multiple tv series or films. I'm a fan of their work not just who they are.

Take Neve Campbell for instance - she is in three of my favourite films; Scream, The Craft and Wild Things, I may of got a few stares when I said three but that was when I got my money out. I love those films and couldn't decide between them so I got all three because I thought I would regret it otherwise. Then with Richard Dean Anderson I got two - one 8x10 and one on a poster of the cast. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting one to put away in storage and one to eventually go up on the wall.

I couldn't even tell you how many I would get of Amy Acker - two characters in Angel and her craziness at the start, Alias, Person of Interest, Much Ado About Nothing - the list would go on for me.

I get a photo with the person but the auto from the character.

I usually only get one auto BUT . . . on the rare occassion . . . I'll sometimes get a photo signed (because I frame those) and also a DVD special edition box set signed (because I collect those) for example.

With that kond of reasoning....

"Why get ONE autograph ?" It´s just a signature on a photo...

Collectible is an hobby and a passion. If people want multy object get signend, why not !?

An actor like sigourney played in ghostbuster and aliens, why a fan have to choose which poster to get signed ?

5 is a good limit, if you want less, take less, if you want more, re-do the line.

The only way it should be limited to ONE, it´s like michael J Fox due to his condition. It´s already wonderfull that he make that.

The rules is clear at the beginning, if you want to be guaranteed : Diamond pass

If you want to increase your chance : goldpass

If you want to try with a normal ticket, take your chance. But don't critic people who are in front of you (diamond, gold, and people who comes very early to get a low vq tickets)

• Like 1

Just a quick one. I'm not really an autograph person. I prefer having the personal experience of having my picture taken. I get impatient waiting for Mr X to have all 5 of his stuff signed and his partner has the other 5 and his son has another 5. etc.

Would it be the end of the world if autographs were limited to 1 per person. Any more and your either selling it or being greedy in my opinion. It would certainly help in giving more people the opportunity to meet a guest.

Just saying...

my friend went up and got multiple autographs at an event. only she could make the event so a few of us gave her the money and she got the autographs for us. So no not everyone is i it for the money sometimes its friends getting stuff signed for friends who couldn't go. Also sometimes people have things that they want signing but cant decide which item they want signed so get them all signed. e.g. if you have a poster and a script and a 1st edition book and a prop you may want them all signed. maybe they should limit it to 2 or 3 autos and then if you want more join the back of the queue.

• Like 2

I have three original Star Wars posters and so wanted them signed by Hamill, Ford & Fisher. That would be three autographs per guest and there are other people who may have other items to be signed on top of this. It isn't unusual to have five or more items to be signed. Had I more money I would have had another from Sigourney Weaver at LFCC.

I think 3 should be the limit. You can see guests looking annoyed sometimes when having to sign a raft of items.

If that is the case then these guests must be crazy; it generally will take longer to sign 5 items from 5 different customers than it would signing 5 items from 1 customer.

• Like 1

I'm one of those people when there is a Lord of the rings guest I'm afraid. I get my big lore book signed, then a picture of them on a 10x8 the. Another one inscribed to me and then if they play more than one character I would get the characters they have played all on 10x8's I have been collecting since 2003 and have over 8000 autographs I have never sold one. They are all in folder in my room. I have no intention of selling them I just want to enjoy meeting them and getting my collections complete. I'm the same with Star Wars guest if they more than one character I will get a 10x8 of each character and get them signed.

Showmasters swill never normally let you get more than 5 autos at once. Dealers unfortunately get slot in every so often. But I actually like them being in front, means you can get pictures of the guest signing and also hear some interesting stories that are spoken about. It does get annoying with a particularly busy guest I will admit.

Maybe something to think of is to have the day before the event for dealers only, so they can get what they want signed before the con opens???

Maybe a thought in the future

• Like 1

bvwl0o_jpg.jpg

We haven't seen anyone losing their mind in this thread or in the offering of their opinion. In the OP, you said you didn't see the use in getting more than 1 autograph, the majority disagrees with you. Most everyone doing this for a hobby (because that's what it is to most, a fun hobby) knows the possibility exists they won't be able to reach the person they want to meet and they accept that. Why you, someone who said he "isn't really an autograph person", finds it necessary to shoot down the ones who do collect autographs down for that, is completely beyond us.

In that same regard, you can ask "Why take more then 1 picture during a panel? Surely 1 picture should be enough proof and/or memory that you were at the panel".. frankly because..reasons! Why take more than 1 photo during a photoshoot, maybe the person wants one in cosplay and one without (such as people wanting one autograph on a poster and one on a 10x8) ..Again, their reasons are their own. You might have waited your entire life to be on a picture with them (because "I prefer having the personal experience of having my picture taken") while some people might not enjoy seeing themselves on photo and have waited their entire life for the person to sign one/two/several items of theirs as a keepsake. Not everyone likes having their picture taken.

Any more and your either selling it or being greedy in my opinion.

The actor is not the character. That's entering crazy stalker territory

If you start off a thread with that title and start your OP with a jugemental "your selling or being greedy" later continuing with an air of quasi sarcastic remarks in reply to people's honest opinion on YOUR question, you may have brought the title of your thread upon yourself. Self-proclaimed profecies and all...

You start a thread criticising those who buy more than one autograph. Then members respond, with constructive arguments. This is your response. to those constructive arguments If you can't take the heat, don't start the fire.

we agree with this

Also an extra note: we'll gladly pay for extra autographs if we know the actor/actress involved donates everything/ A large portion to his/her own charity/ A charity they support, which we KNOW quite a few of them do... how is that greedy and/or selfish?

Edited by twinzz
  • Like 4

I realy wanted an to get an autograph from Christopher Lloyd for several charecters he played from the addams family to back to the future. But i dont have the money i could only addord 1. if i had the money id get an autograph for every character i love for each guest then have a folder for each film/tv show e.g. ben browder in stargate and farscpae, richard dean anderson in McGyver and stargate, danniel radcliff in harry potter, a young doctors notebook and woman in black. these are just examples where people may want to complete theri collections for each tv show or film.

Why is this thread still going??? Pointless discussion.

Future discussion topics:

- What's the point in eating food you've already eaten before? There should be a limit on how many times you can eat the same food.

- Why aren't people limited to only ONE carton of milk in a supermarket, will make scanning items at the till quicker for people queueing behind.

- People shouldn't be allowed to buy more than ONE identical t-shirt in a clothes shop as it's being greedy or they're possibly planning on selling the second t-shirt.

- There should be a limit on how many cars people are allowed to have.

- There should be a limit on how many times a person can see the same band live - give someone else a chance!

IceCoolPsycho's reasoning pretty much may as well be: "Don't bother buying an autograph at all, you can scribble your own on any picture you like."

Pointless discussion.

• Like 9

Rather than restricting the amount of autographs, how about restricting everyone to just one visit to see any guest (that counts for golds and diamonds too) including non VQ guests. It's easily managed. Just give everyone a printed out program/booklet on entry which lists every guest. Whoever you go up and see gets ticked off by the crew member in your book. That'd also work if you wanted to have just one autograph per person.

Perhaps bigger guests could just be one per person, maybe all VQ guests could be like that?

• Like 1

Not at all. I AM convinced why people often get more then one autograph. But it is very apparent that there is a selfish air in these forums as people would rather they have more autographs at the expense of some people missing out. I guess you miss the point. I'm not saying its silly to have more then one autograph. I'm saying that limit it to one when the VQ system is on and then have as many as you want in open queue. Although I do bow down to the notion that it may be quicker to have five autographs then 5 people having 1.

To be honest it takes 1 person, 1 minute for an autograph and chat anyway that's still only 60 people an hour so who knows.

Personally I find it rather selfish to expect the people in front of me in the queue to hurry up so I can get my autograph quicker. Quite often people in front have apologised to me for taking up a lot of time but I don't mind.

Just out of interest, when you get your one autograph, do you have any sort of conversation with the guest or do you just leave as quickly as possible?

Personally I find it rather selfish to expect the people in front of me in the queue to hurry up so I can get my autograph quicker. Quite often people in front have apologised to me for taking up a lot of time but I don't mind.

Just out of interest, when you get your one autograph, do you have any sort of conversation with the guest or do you just leave as quickly as possible?

When waiting for a table at a restaurant, I find it selfish that people are taking too long to chew their food - hurry up and swallow so I can sit down and shovel my food into my gob as quickly as possible!

• Like 3

i got herded on from Bill Paxton by the handlers very brusquely and therefore barely had time to thank him for some of the characters he's done. i did want to make a few quick comments about his films and music etc, but after paying £90 i wasn't given the chance. i'm still pretty resentful of that, i guess SM are more aligned w/ making the guests as much money as money rather keeping the money-payers happy.

I have to say a giant NO to that. The auto's are restricted as they are, you can't get more than a few at a time and it would be completely unfair to say you can only get 1. Usually I will get 2 per guest, 1 on a cast poster

and an 8x10 I get personalised. However as many of the guests are in lots of shows there are going to be lots of people who want cast signed items from different shows.

I don't have an issue being hurried through as I am always very conscious that there are many others in the queue. If I am getting a few items signed I do try to be as efficient as possible to speed things up.

I dont agree that if you get more than one you are greedy or going to sell, quite a lot of fans want multiple items signing ie BTTF trilogy or the star wars films.

Also dont forget that the stars make their money from the sales, so if you cut people down to one, the stars are possibly losing 4 sales each time?

Just because you are not really inso signatures, doesnt mean others are not, i would rather have signatures that photos.

Also if you are not really into signatures why are you bothering queueing up to get them nd getting stressed by the others in the queue that do want them?

I got 2 Neve Campbell (photo and scream mask) 2 Ken Kirzinger (photo and Jason mask) the photos I'm putting in a folder to start a collection and the masks I'm having framed for my wall. I was gonna get 3 Robert Englund (photo, glove and my freddy tattoo signed to be permanently tattooed) so there are plenty of legitimate reasons fo having more than one.