I Know I'm Going to Get Shot Down for This.

Instead of saying limit autos per guest to 1, why not just limit time chatting with guests who have a queue, way too often you get people queue-ing and some fan chatting to a guest for a long time, whilst everybody else has to stand and wait, slowing the queue down which means less money made to organisers and more fans going away unhappy.

If there is to be a limit, I think 3 should be plenty, I get one personalised 8 x 10, poster for multi signings with character names, so you can tell whose signed it.

In this sort of situation, the crew member with the guest should be politely stepping in after a period of time saying there's other people waiting, though it is difficult especially if it is the guest whose making the conversation with you, and it's you whose conscious of the queue behind you....

• Like 1

No. I usually get just one autograph for myself, but I have two posters that I collect autos on, too, so sometimes I get a photo signed a the poster, too, and also sometimes I get autos for friends who cannot attend (personalized, if I can help it). Limit to three might work, but to one, no.

That's a good idea there should be a certain limit definitely

There is a limit already. 5 items when a VQ is in operation.

And the ONLY time I've ever taken advantage of the 5 limit item per person thing was with GIllian Anderson in 2012, and had five items signed. One of which started of a multisigned project, one was of EXTREME Sentimental value, and because I will never even consider selling my stuff I was glad that Gillian personalised my items.

In 2013 Adrienne Barbeau signed/personalised a few Catwoman pics for me.

Last year Karen Allen signed three things (two already multisigned and one personalisation on another.

And then last week the wonderful Dave Barclay signed both Labyrinth and Muppet Christmas Carol - when you have a guest such as Dave his filmography is damn near exhaustive and it would have been easy to have taken more for him to sign.

Point is - not all of us will flog stuff on ebay, its the last thing I would ever consider doing.

I've never had a problem with people getting more than one autograph if you can tell they're a genuine fan of that person.

I know for example if Morena Baccarin came over here then I would want her on my Firefly poster that already has other cast members on, a Firefly dvd cover, a Gotham dvd cover, a 10x8 of her already that I love and probably something Deadpool film related to. At the end of the day, it's my money and what I do with it is of no concern to other people. I don't honestly think "your age" has anything to do with why you don't get why people buy multiple autographs, it's just a difference of opinion which is what this board thrives on?

As far as I've seen, with bigger guests, the handler normally moves people on pretty swiftly anyway so even someone with 5 items is still going to get through in no more than a minute or two. It's only guests like Robert Englund who is notoriously chatty where you might end up having a large line form if people have multiple items.

• Like 6

If people are paying for the autographs, and there's already a 5 item limit in place, I see no issue... what people then do with them is up to them. Asking why people need more than one autograph is... well, ridiculous. Why does anybody need an autograph at all? You don't, you just like to have them, and if you want more than one item signed then great. The most I've ever gone is two from the same person (Darren Lynn Bousman), one signature on a photo and another signature on a Saw IV DVD. Why? Because I could afford it, he was happy to and now I've got two personalized items signed by one of my favorite directors. I agree that in a case where there's a long queue, if you want multiple items signed then that leaves less time for a chat, but as mentioned above that's when the crew member should gently remind both the fan and the guest that they need to wrap things up.

Bottom line as long as the whole queue isn't held up for too long, does it really matter how many autographs somebody gets and what they then do with them? I'm thinking no...

• Like 7

But it still the same autograph on all those things. Your not meeting the character your meeting the actor so having duplicates on different merchandise is beyond me. The reason it becomes other people's business is because the time it takes for those extra autographs on busy guests deprives someone else getting one.

Edited by IceCoolPsycho
  • Like 1

Instead of saying limit autos per guest to 1, why not just limit time chatting with guests who have a queue, way too often you get people queue-ing and some fan chatting to a guest for a long time, whilst everybody else has to stand and wait, slowing the queue down which means less money made to organisers and more fans going away unhappy.

If there is to be a limit, I think 3 should be plenty, I get one personalised 8 x 10, poster for multi signings with character names, so you can tell whose signed it.

This is something I am exceedingly conscious of and will always make sure if a guest is busy or indeed tiddling their thumbs.

In 2010 Michael Biehn had rather a long line of people and he could have talked the hind legs of a donkey.

2012 the very lovely Jeff Rawle didnt have a queue and it was nice to chat with him about by far his greatest work, Drop the Dead Donkey.

Last year I would have liked to have spoken longer to Karen Allen about working with Harrison Ford, Mr. Spielberg etc but she was a very popular guest.

And last week I would have loved nothing more than to spend longer with Dave Barclay - he wasnt that busy and thus would have been so nice to have heard more anecdotes about Jim Henson <3

But it still the same autograph on all those things. Your not meeting the character your meeting the actor so having duplicates on different merchandise is beyond me. The reason it becomes other people's business is because the time it takes for those extra autographs on busy guests deprives someone else getting one.

In many cases those whom we meet have been in different franchises and would like them to be on different items in some cases we very much appreciate the actor/director etc either for their work or their films.

Take Sylvester Stallone for example, say you were a fan of Demolition Man, Stop or My Mom will shoot, Cliffhanger. Tango and Cash etc were all youir fave movies you'd like to get them all signed wouldn't you? Its exactly the same - getting what your fav actor has starred in signed.

In many cases those whom we meet have been in different franchises and would like them to be on different items in some cases we very much appreciate the actor/director etc either for their work or their films.

Take Sylvester Stallone for example, say you were a fan of Demolition Man, Stop or My Mom will shoot, Cliffhanger. Tango and Cash etc were all youir fave movies you'd like to get them all signed wouldn't you? Its exactly the same - getting what your fav actor has starred in signed.

No, I would just want an autograph. That would encompass all his work. I admire the actor for the parts they play. I'm not there for the character. If that makes sense. Edited by IceCoolPsycho
  • Like 1

No, I would just want an autograph. That would encompass all his work. I admire the actor for the parts they play. I'm not there for the character. If that makes sense.

I admire you for your uniqueness :)

• Like 1

No, I would just want an autograph. That would encompass all his work. I admire the actor for the parts they play. I'm not there for the character. If that makes sense.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Surely the parts they play and the character are the same thing?

Had I managed to get Christopher Lloyd's autograph I would have gone for two autographs. One on multi-graph poster of all the BTTF singers, and one in an autograph book. The poster for completeness and the autograph book because of wanting his autograph on its own.

I have three posters/projects on the go that have multiple signatures, all Doctor Who which would require 2/3 autographs depending on the actor/actress so limited to one autograph per guest would be a worst case scenario for me. To be fair it's only one or two people I need to finish the posters

I got a second autograph this year for my dad this year as he wasn't able to attend. Another friend got a second one for a birthday present for someone who couldn't attend.

Both were delighted with their autos. So no, one auto per person is unfair. A limit of 5 is acceptable.

It's the comic book people that get me. I've had people in front bring in stacks of 10-20 comics for a writer or artist to sign not caring for the people behind them.

• Like 2

I think that this is one of those kinds of things, If I earn the money for it and I'm not hurting anyone, who cares?

There is a limit on VQ guests. It's like saying, why do an activity more than once? You've already done it before so what would be the point?

I have a Hobbit BotFA poster that I'm collecting autos on and if I meet anyone that is in LOTR as well I will be getting their autos on both.

Just remember, if you cannot see where we are coming from then what makes you think we can see where you are coming from?

• Like 2

Wasn't gonna use Mr. Spielberg here... But what the hay its Satyrday night and I'm totally hanging back,

If ya had the chance how many autos would you get from him? THis is to the op? ANd if one on what?

One would be way too low a limit, the max I've ever gotten in one go is two, but there are some guests I would likely end up getting move from if I ever got the chance.

You said 'I just see an autograph represents that actor and his work not as a separate entity from this.' and that's basically how most people see it, we get more then one so we can have the actor represent their work across the different projects they have worked on. :)

• Like 3

Everyone is an individual and their reasons for collecting are different. For example in media I normally keep my collection to Star Wars (if I started collecting LOTR, GOT or anything else I enjoy watching I'd be broke by now, and don't even get me started on my sports or astronaut autograph collection) so I got John Ratzenberger's autograph on a Star Wars 8x10. But I am also a huge fan of Cheers so took advantage of his attendance to get a Cheers beer mug autographed as well.

To me, personally, having his autograph on only one of these items wouldn't have reflected his performance in the other production that I also enjoyed watching as I grew up. Of course that's only my reason for getting more then one autograph from one particular actor, every collector will have their own reasons.

Out of interest, and I am by no means having a go, if you only want an autograph do you collect them in an autograph book or on index cards instead of a photo of the actor? I only ask because autographing photos and posters is relatively new to the hobby. If you look at dealers stalls most of the autographs from actors of yesteryear are on cards or cut outs mounted along with a photo of the actor.

• Like 2

And some of us admire them for multiple specific parts they have played.

I'll "shoot down" the OP as they put it, because frankly I find people who criticise those who want more than 1 auto a little narrow minded. At this LFCC I overheard two people say that if you wanted more than one auto of someone like Sigourney Weaver it was "just greed" and that "you only really need one". Well maybe they only need/want one...

Well excuse me, should I do what other attendees do and get autos from 20+ guests + a photo with each? Would that be more acceptable to some people? I don't understand paying for a bit-part Star Wars player 3rd from the left for any money, let alone a tenner. Is it not more greedy wanting LOADS of guests rather than being more selective? I suppose it is all about personal perspective.

I bought 6 of Sigourney and it did draw some astonishment and stares when I asked the cash handler at Sigourney's signing for the additional autos beyond the one included in the Diamond Pass.

I had her sign an 8x10 for each of the four Alien films and I had her sign two trading cards. I had that amount because she is my favourite actress, because I LOVE the Alien series and even though the same character, each time I felt she played the role very differently. I had her sign two cards because I have collected trading cards since I was a kid, and wanted these neat items done whilst I had the chance.

If money was no object I would have had her sign an Aliens quad poster as part of a cast piece; an Alien 3 quad because it was the first Alien film I saw; a Heartbreakers poster for my girlfriend who loves that film; an 8x10 of her in Copycat because that is my favourite non-Alien film of hers; an 8x10 from Working Girl because that is another favourite of mine and my partners'; and a regular publicity shot of just her.

...so I could have easily found 12 items I would have loved her to autograph. And I am not a dealer, and none would ever be sold.

Maybe to some that is excessive but I met 9 guests over the weekend + 5 photoshoots (my largest number ever at a show) but so what if I want multiples?

I think a cap of 5 autos is a nice reasonable number for everyone and if someone wants more than that, discretion of a crew member should be sought.

Speaking of dealers, it is disheartening to be standing behind them. I remember going to Autographica last time Ursula Andress came over and someone I knew who WAS a dealer just stood at her desk for about 20 minutes with her, no conversation, no awe or interaction, just watching her sign what seemed like countless items, one after another. I think it was about 40 odd things in the end. That was excessive and really held the queue up. Ultimately I am not bothered how many anyone chooses to buy or what they do with them afterward, but it shouldn't be too the detriment of other attendees who may miss out but a cap of just 1 auto would be ridiculous.

I have picked up several autos from lots of guests, not only because I want a couple, but for friends/family who could not attend. Again, this is another reason I would call those who think it should be capped at x1 auto, somewhat narrowminded in their thought process.

The most autos I have from anyone is Sir Patrick Stewart, from whom I have 8 items:

> 8x10 TNG publicity shoot, TV uniform, in silver ink (wasn't personalising)

> 8x10 Trek Nemesis publicity shoot, Movie uniform, in blue ink (wasn't personalising)

> 8x10 First Contact still: favourite Trek film + favourite scene, in gold ink (with rare personalisation!)

> Trek First Contact Quad poster signed by main cast

> A Christmas Carol DVD cover (favourite XMAS movie and I get to see this auto only when I watch it every Christmas Eve)

> Star Trek Trading card

> X-Men Trading card (which I later gifted to someone)

> X-Men Trading card (to replace the above)

Collectors get more than one auto of celebrities so they can craft their collections as they see fit to derive maximum enjoyment from them.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 2

As demonstrated in all the replies, people have their reasons for doing it, you clearly disagree with it all (seeing as you've repeated it several times) but this is one of those things where it really is "to each their own"

Most of the time (we'll call 99% of the time) each autograph from the same person will be completely different. One will have a personal message, another will have a quote, yet another will be on a piece of merchandise or a special memerobilia. The large majority of people standing in the queue are people just like you and they have to wait just as long. they're not waiting for the character but the actor portraying (all of?) their favorite character(s). We're sorry to say, respectfully, we feel your replies sound a little judgemental and we don't fully understand why you post a thread with a question you seem to feel the need to bounce back/feel defensive with the same reply every time someone replies with their reasons to your question.

About the interviews; if the crew member sitting next to the guest is doing their jobs well (which they usually are) those 10 minute interviews will only happen if approved by showmasters press office AND red shirts and will have been planned in advance (only allowed with press badge). Impromptu interviews by "supposed press" just won't happen if everyone does their jobs well because it's simply not allowed - we say this as people who've experienced both the "press" and "customer" side of the events

We have absolutely 0 problem with the 5 limit per VQ. We think it's perfectly reasonable. We'll only follow the reasoning that vendors/dealers who go way beyond that and sometimes have 50 items to sign are holding up the queue because they're just doing it to make money. They don't really care about the person in front of them.. (usually) and they ARE just there for the character.

Edited by twinzz
  • Like 5