Selling your signed LFCC items online

I don't sell the autographs I get from conventions, premieres etc. However, I do realise that autograph dealers provide a service to 'real fans' who are unable to meet these people.

It does annoy me slightly in that a dealer might be getting multiple photos signed to sell on whereas I may only need one autograph on a poster and end up with nothing.

• Like 2

Michael J Fox signed outside his hotel, the airport and at other venues during his stay for dealers, fans (including some who couldn't get in to LFCC) and casual passers by.MJF was more than happy to do it.Dealers might annoy some people on here but if there was no demand they wouldn't or couldn't do it.As nvirtue pointed out in a previous post there are people who can't meet their favourites.Tens of thousends of people can't attend events or travel into london because of work, family, money commitments etc or they don't want to so they go to dealers.Fair enough, free country, not my thing as i prefer to get things myself if possible but none of my business what other people do.Theres no right or wrong its just a hobby thats all.I'm a huge MJF fan and I even traveled to NY to do Michael J Fox's book signing and got his auto elsewhere too and at the moment wouldn't sell it and would hate to part with them but who knows what my future holds, redundancy, ill health, you just never know so i'm not in a position to knock anyone that does sell.Makes me smile when some people say ' i would never sell', then they follow it up with how much its worth and future investment.

Edited by loveamyadams
  • Like 2

I've noticed a huge amount of signed Michael J Fox items online this week.

Obviously people have a right to do whatever they want with their signed items (I suppose people make a living from this sort of thing too) I just think it's a little sad as I wouldn't dream of selling any of my much loved signed 'commodities'.

Any thoughts on this? And I hope everyone got some nice stuff to display proudly from last weekend!

I just had a look on ebay and allmost all of the signed Michael j Fox items are from the USA not here so it doesn't look like anyone has sold or is selling anything from LFCC apart from the odd one or two. Most of the dealers who got him in london won't put anything up on ebay as they'll get better money selling privately or through their websites.

Only way i'd ever sell an autograph is if i went to a convention and got an autograph and then went to another convention and the autograph was included either in the ticket or because i got a voucher or i won it. the i would only sell a non personalized 2nd autographs. if i only had 1 or the item was personalized id never sell it. I only ave 1 person i have 2 autographs from at the moment and i don't feel ready yet to part with the non personalized one. I'm waiting for the right time.

I would never sell my MJF autograph but I think everyone how is paying can do whatever he wants with his autograph. I cant see the point of this topic. By the way I bought one autograph of thomas f. wilson (biff in BTTF) a few years ago because he is not at conventions and not signing BTTF stuff anymore, Am I a bad guy because I bought it? Im even glad the guy sold it because he didnt want it anymore.

• Like 1

also, remember that around 95-100% of autographs on ebay are fake - MJF appearing at LFACC means ebayers can claim they met him there (but chances are they werent even at the con)

If you look on ebay people say they got it signed outside a hotel or at an airport but yet them seem incapable of obtaining a photograph of MJF let alone showing the item been signed. If they were at the con and were looking to sell on at a profit then why would they settle for just the single autograph. There were 11 actors from the BTTF films and the artist Andrew Probert who designed the Delorean. If I was looking to sell on then I would have everyone sign the piece plus have photographic proof.

MJF did sign outside the hotel, and he did pics with. for a lot of people. its wrong when he at an event the same weekend. but it is what it is.

i love all the people going on about i wouold never sell my autographs, so if you lost your job and you couldnt pay the mortgage, you would rather be homeless than sell some signed photos?

I think not.

I have been collecting for over 30 years and have thousands of autographs and my wife knows full well that although they are my pride and joy, if we ever were desperate for money i would sell them rather than lose the house.

You have to get a grip on reality

• Like 1

I just dont get who buys them. All are fake to me unless you get them yourself, if you believe some guy on the internet selling them, well good for you.

I call anyone buying them off these random people on the net very odd indeed. I trust the 5 quid ones on Ebay as much as these "trusted sellers". In other words not at all.

I hope I never have to sell any, as who in their right mind would believe any of them are real? Just suckers I would guess, I dont mean that in a nasty way. I just see it all the time on the net, people paying for a genuine signature for a few pounds.... do they really think its real. I hope not.

Edited by RomeroSavini

depends on the guest and different stuff (several DVD/BR Releases/Versions I have) I buy sometime too more than 1 or 2 autos plus 1 pic but would never sell it.

But I noticed that too... a lot MJF autos are now on ebay.

Personally i never sell or buy on ebay.

I just dont get who buys them. All are fake to me unless you get them yourself, if you believe some guy on the internet selling them, well good for you.

I call anyone buying them off these random people on the net very odd indeed. I trust the 5 quid ones on Ebay as much as these "trusted sellers". In other words not at all.

I hope I never have to sell any, as who in their right mind would believe any of them are real? Just suckers I would guess, I dont mean that in a nasty way. I just see it all the time on the net, people paying for a genuine signature for a few pounds.... do they really think its real. I hope not.

Personally i think this is as much rubbish as the person in this thread that said 95-100% of autos on ebay are fakes.

Yes there are fakes but equally there are thousands of genuiine autographs on there as well.

To say you dont trust anyone and people buying them are mugs, is a bit of a blanket statement.

It is a blanket statement mainly as hey I dont trust anyone haha The internet has taught me well how many scammers are about, it is vast. It is pretty much an industry that cannot be policed.

How on earth anyone can ever "prove" any signature is real when you buy it off the internet beyond me. Thousands may be real on the net, but far more are not.

All I know is there is nothing that anyone could show me to make a signature real. Videos, photos, peoples word. They mean nothing when fakes are about.

Its a trust game basically, personally I dont trust any random stranger on the net selling anything that is so easily faked.

It is a blanket statement mainly as hey I dont trust anyone haha The internet has taught me well how many scammers are about, it is vast. It is pretty much an industry that cannot be policed.

How on earth anyone can ever "prove" any signature is real when you buy it off the internet beyond me. Thousands may be real on the net, but far more are not.

All I know is there is nothing that anyone could show me to make a signature real. Videos, photos, peoples word. They mean nothing when fakes are about.

Its a trust game basically, personally I dont trust any random stranger on the net selling anything that is so easily faked.

In 1995 I went into a jewellers in Leeds and bought a brand new Rolex for £1,000 cash. As they were an authorised dealer I was not concerned about been sold a fake that was made in the Far East. I also collect wine and something that is very important is provenance. All the wine I now buy is kept in a bonded warehouse for professional storage and I have not seen 95% of what I own. I buy from a wine merchant who has been trading for over 200 years and I know they can be trusted. If I ever come to sell on I can show a paper trail from the vineyard to my account in the bonded warehouse where the wine has been stored for many years.

Single bottles of the best wine (Domaine de la Romanee Conti) can sell for over £10,000 and forgeries are common so that is why it is so important to show the history of the bottle.

I doubt the people who just say they have a piece for sale without providing any evidence as to how it was obtained. If someone can show me some history behind a piece and how they obtained it then I will consider taking a calculated risk. Last year I remember a story of how someone had bought a painting off ebay for a few thousand pounds as they had spotted what they thought was a genuine piece. It was later confirmed by experts as been an original and valued at over £100,000. A rare occurrence but it does happen.

• Like 1

If you know where to look and are in the right place at the right time then you can get some real bargains on ebay.

In 2008 the front page of my local paper had a story about how Mike Tyson had donated signed items to help a family of a terminally ill little girl. The people selling the glove I bought made the mistake of putting just "Mike Tyson" in the description rather than "signed Mike Tyson" which gives a lower number of items when you do a search. As they had provided their account details I knew where to look and I was the only bidder on a boxing glove signed by Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard and Joe Calzage and I think I got it for £75.

I am off down to Autographica in September as I also collect astronaut autographs. Earlier this year I saw on ebay a book that was signed by the Apollo 17 moon walkers Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt. It was a limited edition signing of a certain book to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Apollo 17 and I did my research and compared the autographs and found other examples of the book. I was once again the only bidder and got it for £85. At a dinner with a shuttle astronaut I showed the book to a number of people and they all said that the book was genuine.

• Like 1